History of the New Inns at Handsworth in Birmingham in the county of Warwickshire.


Click here for the Home Page  Click here to visit the website's Facebook page  Click here to follow on Twitter  Contact via Message Form  Click here for the Menu 

Some history of the New Inns at Handsworth

I will be adding more information on the New Inns at Handsworth in due course. I had to create a link to the page so, rather than leave it blank, I have uploaded a few photographs and included a couple of related newspaper articles.

The New Inn is, more often than not, referred to as the New Inns. Indeed, it became the official title of the pub. However, it is thought to have been originally known as the New Inn.

Click here for more details

Adam Powell had previously been landlord of the Bell Inn on Lozells Road.

New Inns Annual Ball Notice in the Birmingham Journal [1850]

More details to follow on the New Inns at Handsworth.

New Inns Wine Sale Advertisement [1869]

More details to follow on the New Inns at Handsworth.

Holyhead Road with Albion Cinema and New Inns at Handsworth in Birmingham [c.1928]

More details to follow on the New Inns at Handsworth.

The New Inns on Holyhead Road at Handsworth in Birmingham [c.1928]

More details to follow on the New Inns at Handsworth.

The Prince's Suite Lounge at the New Inns at Handsworth in Birmingham [1936]

More details to follow on the New Inns at Handsworth.

Interior and Staircase of the New Inns at Handsworth in Birmingham [1975]

More details to follow on the New Inns at Handsworth.

Mitchell's and Butler's Cape Hill Brewery [c.1920]

Brummagem Boozers

Licensees of this pub

1891 - Adam Powell
1929 - 1940 Ernest Lees
1940 - 1946 William Henry Ayles
1946 - 1948 Harry Monk
1948 - 1949 Colin Payne Roberts
1949 - 1956 George Warburton
1956 - 1961 Albert Edward Farmer
1961 - 1962 Frank Brockley
1962 - 1965 Dennis McShane
1965 - 1970 Robert Gordon Lichfield
1970 - 1970 Derek Ernest Harper
1970 - 1971 Albert Victor Walton
1971 - 1972 Joel Yellin
1972 - 1973 Charles H. E. Pye
1973 - 1974 John Boardman
1974 - 1975 John Anthony Harris
1975 - 1976 Derek Paul Hall
1976 - 1982 Ronald George Jordan
1982 - 1983 Alexander Finlay Douglas
1983 - 1984 Mohinder Singh Kali Rai
1984 - 1986 Tarsen Singh
1986 - 1988 Gurdev Singh Khera
1988 - 1989 Shangara Singh Khiara
Note : this is not a complete list of licensees for this pub.

Mitchell's and Butler's Logo

Genealogy Connections

If you have a genealogy story or query regarding the New Inns you can contact me and I will post it here in addition to including your message within the website pages for Birmingham Genealogy.

Mitchell's and Butler's Traditional Cask Ales


Map Showing the New Inns at Handsworth in Birmingham [1890]

Dating from 1890 this map shows the New Inns along with its extensive bowling green.

Related Websites

Aston Brook through Aston Manor
Birmingham City Council
Birmingham History Forum
Birmingham Places and Place Names
Carl Chinn Archive
Handsworth History
Ladywood Past and Present
Perry Barr and Beyond
Winson Green to Brookfields

Have Your Say

If you would like to share any further information on this pub - perhaps you drank here in the past? Or maybe knew a previous publican? Whatever the reason it would be great to hear of your stories or gossip. Simply send a message and I'll post it here.

Mitchell's and Butler's Black Satin Stout Poster [c.1962]

Mitchell's and Butler's Sam Brown Ale Beer Label

Mitchell's and Butler's Brew XI Beer Mat

Mitchell's and Butler's Good Honest Beer Advertisement

Mitchell's and Butler's Black Satin Sweet Stout

Mitchell's and Butler's Pale Ale

Mitchell's and Butler's Aniseed Alcoholic Cordial

Mitchell's and Butler's Fine London Gin

Mitchell's and Butler's Fine Old Jamaica Rum

Mitchell's and Butler's Australian Ruby Wine

Mitchell's and Butler's Fine London Gin

Mitchell's and Butler's Celebration Strong Mild Ale

Mitchell's and Butler's Plate

Mitchell's and Butler's Deer's Leap

Click here for more details

Click here for more details

Click here for more details

Click here to visit the website's YouTube Channel


Marie Antoinette by Martin van Meytens [c.1767-8]

"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten."
Marie Antoinette

Mitchell's and Butler's Cape Ale

Mitchell's and Butler's All-Bright Ale

Mitchell's and Butler's Family Ale

Mitchell's and Butler's Nourishing Stout

Mitchell's and Butler's Export Pale Ale

Mitchell's and Butler's Special Ale

Newspaper Articles

"An adjourned inquest was held yesterday, at the Police Station in Handsworth, by Mr. E. Hooper, coroner, touching the death of William Lea, aged about fifteen hours, the illegitimate child of Sarah Ann Lea, a single woman. The inquest was opened on Monday, at the New Inns, Handsworth, and was adjourned in order that a post-mortem examination of the body of the deceased might be made. As it was thought that violence had been used by the mother to cause the death of the child, she was arrested on Wednesday, and removed to Handsworth Police Station. She was unable to attend the New Inns yesterday, and the inquest was therefore held in her bedroom, in order that she might hear what was said. It appeared that she had been in the service of Mr. Palmer, Centre Cottage, West Bromwich Road, about eleven months on Friday night last week, a grandson of Mrs. Palmer, named Walter Bluck, heard a noise in the brewhouse, and on going to ascertain what was the matter, he saw Lea there. In reply to his question she said she was oddly sick, but witness noticed some unusual appearances, and feeling rather suspicions went and fetched the girl's mother, who lived near the place. She told her mother that she had had a miscarriage, but she afterwards said that the child of which she had been delivered was in the bed in her bedroom. Mr. Shaw, surgeon, was sent for, and he was soon in attendance. There were no marks of injury visible on the body of the deceased at that time. Blood oozed out of the deceased's nose in the course of the night, and he died on the following morning. Prior to death, he was baptised by the Rev. Sheldon, who was sent for specially for the purpose. In the post-mortem examination, Mr. Shaw found a great discolouration of the right thigh, and the right side of the chest. There was distinct marks on the right side of the neck, as if something had pressed against it, and the hands were firmly clenched. The lungs and brains were slightly congested. In Mr. Shaw's opinion, death was caused by suffocation, produced by external pressure. It might have been caused by the mother over-lying the child. The Coroner then briefly summed up the evidence, remarking that the jury had heard it clearly stated what was the cause of death. The child had died by suffocation, and as there was no evidence to show that violence had been used the mother, or any person or persons, they were bound to give such person or persons the benefit the doubt. A verdict was returned to the effect that the deceased died from suffocation in bed, but whether it was accidental or not there was evidence to show."
"Suspicious Death of a Child"
Aris's Birmingham Gazette : October 29th 1870.

"Thomas Boulton, against whom a coroner's jury on Wednesday returned a verdict of wilful murder in respect of the death of Elizabeth Bunting, at Handsworth, was arrested at Bilston, on Saturday, after five days of weary tramping from place to place in Warwickshire and Staffordshire. He readily confessed to his identity and guilt, but made no statement letting any light upon the motive which led him to commit the dreadful deed, further than that it must have been "the drink." It will be remembered that the fatal injuries were inflicted upon the deceased late on Monday night, and that in the confusion of the discovery he left the neighbourhood, and beyond being recognised shortly after by a friend in Devonshire Street, was not heard of until his arrest. From a remark which he made to that acquaintance, to the effect that the latter would not see him any more, and from his then taking the direction for the canal, the conclusion was arrived that he had most probably committed suicide, This belief seems to have been shared by the police who have been perhaps less vigilant than they otherwise might have been. Still a number of plain-clothes policemen were told off to search for him in Birmingham and the Black Country generally, and the whole of the police in Staffordshire and the adjoining counties have been supplied with photographs and a full description of Boulton. On Saturday a watchman, from one of the ironworks near Bilston, informed Detective Moreton of the Bilston force, that he had during Friday night seen a man "rodneying" near the works who very much resembled the description which he had seen in the newspapers of the Handsworth murderer. During the afternoon Moreton took the photograph of Boulton to the watchman, and, after showing it to him, told him that if he saw the "rodney" again to at once acquaint him. Another rumour which reached the police was that a man resembling the newspaper description of the prisoner called at the New Inn public-house on Friday night and asked for some relief; that some food was supplied to him, and that upon returning to the street he threw it away. If the prisoner's statement is true, neither rumours can he correct. Detective Moreton says that he was returning from his visit to the watchman when he saw a man at the end of Wolverhampton Street, and coming as though he had just entered Bilston from Ettingshall. He was struck by prisoner's resemblance to the published portrait, and followed him down High Street, Here Boulton, who had a dejected appearance, turned into the Royal Exchange public-house, a distance of some 200 yards from the place where Moreton had first seen him, and in the house he commenced begging. The officer noticed numerous spots upon the skirt of Boulton's coat, as though some chemical had been applied to burn out stains. He called him into the street and asked him his name. He gave his name as John Jones, jeweller, of Birmingham. Moreton, however, convinced that his suspicions were well-founded, arrested him. Upon proceeding a few yards they met Police Sergeant Hayward, who pushing prisoner's lips apart and seeing that some of his front teeth were missing, as described in the police account of the murderer, said "Why, you are the Handsworth murderer," and at the same time seized him by the opposite arm to that by which Moreton was leading his man, Prisoner, who seemed very little surprised, replied, "Don't knock me about. I confess I am. I give myself up to you." At the station the prisoner said, "Yes, I am the man. It's a bad job. I must have been mad. It's the drink." An examination of his clothing showed, in addition to the stains upon the coat, a few spots of blood upon the front of his shirt and upon the wristband. The left trousers leg is smeared in several places with grease. Boulton says that this is off the lathe at which be worked, but a scrutiny will be made to ascertain whether blood stains are not underneath. When formally charged with the murder of Elizabeth Bunting, the prisoner again admitted his guilt. He states that it is quite true that he met a man, as stated at the inquest, who knew him, in Devonshire Street, on the night of the murder, between eleven and twelve o'clock. After that time he says he returned to his master's garden at Slade Lane, Handsworth, and remained in the summer arbour until three o'clock the next morning. He then departed and travelled to Henley-in-Arden, Warwickshire, but returned the same evening to Birmingham, when he bought a copy of the Mail and saw the announcement of the death of his niece, The same night he left Birmingham and walked to Lichfield. From Lichfield he went to Rugeley, Stafford, Newcastle in the Potteries, and afterwards made his way back again through Penkridge and Wolverhampton to Bilston, where he was met walking somewhat leisurely in the street by the officer as stated. He says that he had had no rest all this time. He expressed a desire to see his mother, and added that at the time of his arrest he was on his way back to Handsworth to see her, and that afterwards he intended to give himself up to the police. When searched a copy of the Daily Post containing a report of the inquest was found in his pocket. A halfpenny was the only money he had upon him. He says he was not able to obtain a paper on Saturday, owing to want of funds, or else he would have liked to have seen an account of the funeral. He does not seem to have made any attempt at disguising his appearance since the murder, for except that his new hat had become battered, and that he had pawned his waistcoat, his dress answered in every particular the published description. Boulton seemed worn out with tramping about, and the first thing he did when he got into the cells was to pull off his boots to ease his blistered feet. After the arrest telegrams announcing the circumstance were despatched to the Chief Constable at Stafford and to the Superintendent of Police at West Bromwich. Superintendent Whitehurst went to Bilston, in company with Police Constable Blower, and the prisoner was brought to West Bromwich by the 6.20 train. When charged with the murder, at West Bromwich, he declined to say anything. He was placed in a cell with some other prisoners, and under these circumstances it is not deemed necessary to set a special watch over him. His general demeanour is one of indifference. Yesterday he slept the greater part of the day. Up to last night he had not been visited by any of his relatives. The Stipendiary sits at West Bromwich this morning, but as no Handsworth cases are tried by him, the prisoner will be taken before the Tipton magistrates. Only sufficient evidence for a remand ill he given. The case will be gone into by the West Bromwich Magistrates on Saturday."
"The Handsworth Murder"
Birmingham Daily Post : April 27th 1885.