History of Lionel Street in Hockley in Birmingham in the county of Warwickshire.

www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Click here for the Home Page  Click here to visit the website's Facebook page  Click here to follow on Twitter  Contact via Message Form  Click here for the Menu 

Some history on Lionel Street

Details of Lionel Street to follow ....

Click here for more details

Details of Lionel Street to follow ....

Brummagem Boozers

List of Pubs

Fox and Dog
Golden Lion
Welsh Harper

Ansell's Bitterman - You Can't Beat 'Em

Genealogy Connections

If you have a genealogy story or query regarding Lionel Street you can contact me and I will post it here in addition to including your message within the website pages for Birmingham Genealogy.

Atkinson's Ales

Related Websites

Aston Brook through Aston Manor
Birmingham City Council
Birmingham History Forum
Birmingham Places and Place Names
Carl Chinn Archive
Handsworth History
Ladywood Past and Present
Perry Barr and Beyond
Winson Green to Brookfields

Have Your Say

If you would like to share any further information on Lionel Street - perhaps you drank in one of the pubs in the past? Or maybe knew a previous publican running one of the boozers? Whatever the reason it would be great to hear of your stories or gossip. Simply send a message and I'll post it here.

Mitchell's and Butler's Traditional Cask Ales

Dare's - Perfect Beer

Ansell's Mild Playing Card

Mitchell's and Butler's Special Ale

Davenport's Traditionally Brewed Ales

Atkinson's Punch Stout

Be an Ansell's Bitterman

Mitchell's and Butler's - Good Honest Beer [1950 Advertisement]

Click here for more details

Click here for more details

Click here for more details

Click here to visit the website's YouTube Channel

Quotation

Gaston Bachelard

"The repose of sleep refreshes only the body. It rarely sets the soul at rest. The repose of the night does not belong to us. It is not the possession of our being. Sleep opens within us an inn for phantoms. In the morning we must sweep out the shadows."
Gaston Bachelard

Newspaper Articles

"An inquest was held yesterday afternoon at the Grand Turk Inn, Ludgate Hill, concerning the death of a manufacturer of tin plate goods, named William Randle, who resided at 104, Lionel Street, and who died on Friday last, in consequence of some severe injuries he received on the preceding day by burning. From the evidence of Mrs. Randle, the wife of the deceased, it appeared that the deceased was thirty-three years of age. On Thursday evening at about six o'clock her husband, after having had tea upstairs in the sitting room with her, left the table and went towards the workshop. About half an hour afterwards she heard an explosion, and running to the door of the room, and looking downstairs, she saw the reflection of flames, and a great deal of smoke below. Thinking that the house was on fire, she closed the door, and turning to the window, threw up the sash, and dropped her only child, who was between four and five years old, down into the arms of a person who was standing amongst the crowd below. She then got out upon the window sill herself, and was about to jump into the street, when, on observing what appeared to be the body of a man lying upon the footpath in flames, and thinking that the house perhaps might not be on fire, she altered her mind, and was in the act of getting back into the room again when some person who had come up for a blanket caught hold of her and removed her safely down the stairs. The witness then went on to say that she afterwards went to the General Hospital to which institution her husband had been taken, and there, in answer to her questions as to how the accident took place, he told her that whilst in the shop he varnished some buckets, and having done so he poured some spirits - as he thought naptha - from a tin can or bottle into a basin, for the purpose of washing the black varnish from his hands. The door of the shop was open, and a very strong wind blowing at the time. Whilst he stood pouring the spirit, a sudden gust of wind came and blew the flame of a gas lamp, near to which he was, towards the spirit can. The fumes of the spirits ignited, and the flame communicated itself to the contents of the vessel. In order to save the premises from catching fire, he ran with the flaming can of spirits into the yard, where he intended to empty it. As soon as he got into the air, however, an explosion took place in the can, and the spirit was scattered all over his clothes. He was in a moment enveloped in flames, and ran at once into the street, where he fell down exhausted. There he lay until the spirit was burnt out, for every person was afraid to approach him, he being one mass of flame, and it being dangerous to throw water upon him. The fire, having burnt itself out, he was wrapped in a blanket, placed in a cab, and removed to the General Hospital. There was no person who witnessed the accident but himself. Such was the statement of the deceased. Mr. C. J, Bracey, the house surgeon of the General Hospital, described the injuries of the deceased, which were of a very shocking nature, and stated that he died from their effects at nine o'clock on the morning after his admission into the institution from congestion of the lungs. The Jury returned a verdict of "Accidental death."
"The Fatal Explosion in Lionel Street"
Birmingham Daily Post : December 8th 1863 Page 3.