White and Combe
When moved to Albert Road as an established maltster and brewer, he was accompanied by his sister Catherine. The beers produced by Thomas White proved popular and within a decade he had a small workforce engaged at the site.
Thomas White re-married in the 1860's; his wife Mary Ann hailed from Husbands Bosworth in Leicestershire. The profitable business enabled the couple to employ servants in the house.
Thomas White was well-known in the district where, in a quiet and unostentatious way, he reportedly distributed gifts from his private purse among the poor people of the town. He also represented Bolehall and Glascote on the Board of Guardians, and for several years was the highway surveyor for that parish.
Born on the Isle of Skye, the wholesale wine and spirits merchant Norman McFie
established a business next to the brewery and shared part of the brewery yard
with Thomas White. Nearing the end of his working life, Thomas White went into
partnership with John Combe, a younger brewer from
Gloucestershire. By 1897 the
business was trading as
White and Combe. Thomas White died in
January 1898 but the
brewery continued until the First World War. Thomas White left much of his
business interests to his nephew Alfred Pegg who continued to work with John
Combe. Indeed, they were known to
purchase pubs and off licences in order to develop a tied estate. In an auction held by Messrs. Winterton and Son in July 1906
they bought the freehold of the Seven Stars, an old
pub situated on Watling Street at Wall. The company paid £1,055,0s.0d. Prior to
this, John Combe had acquired the Green Man Inn at