History of the Rising Sun Inn at Willington in the county of Derbyshire. Research is augmented with photographs, details of licensees, stories of local folklore, census data, newspaper articles and a genealogy connections section for those studying their family history.


Rising Sun Inn
Rising Sun Inn

Some History of this Pub
Details on the Rising Sun Inn ...

The Rising Sun Inn at Willington [2003]

Three adjacent dwelling-houses were known the Rising Sun Cottages, when offered for sale by auction in 1940. The cottages, which were part of the estate of the late Mr. W. M. Bennett, who was for many years schoolmaster at Findern, was sold to Mr. A. E. Brown, of Derby, for 875.

Click here to view larger photographs on the website's Facebook pages

More to follow on the Rising Sun Inn at Willington. In the meantime I have posted a photograph of the pub.
All text and images Copyright - click here for more information.

Related Newspaper Articles
"An inquest was held at the Rising Sun, Willington, on Friday evening, touching the death of William Eley, who died through accidentally taking poison. John Eley said : I am a labourer, and reside at 26, Harriett Street, Derby. The body just seen is that of my father. He was 50 years of age. Last Saturday night I got some aqua fortis and quicksilver. I dissolved the quicksilver, and added some water to it. I had it for silvering something. I had nothing particular to silver. I was going to put it in a medicine bottle, but my father fetched me a ginger-beer bottle, and told to put it in that. I did so. There was rather more than half a bottle full. I corked the bottle and placed it on the table in the kitchen. I went out of the house leaving it on the table. My father was in the house. My sister was with him. I was away about an hour. I did not notice the bottle when I came in. About five o'clock on Sunday morning I was called by my father. He was downstairs. He told me he had drunk something out of the ginger-beer bottle. and said: "I thought it was ginger-beer; I forgot till it was in my mouth." He said he did not have much. He swallowed some and spat the rest out of his mouth. I went for Mr. Garneys, surgeon, Repton. He attended him till his death, which took place that morning. My father suffered much pain. He said had not taken it wilfully. There was no-one downstairs with him when he took it. We had ginger beer in the house. In the bottle there was about two ounces of quicksilver, two ounces of aqua fortis, and about half a pint of water. Mr. Charles John McFarlane deposed: "I am a surgeon, and am an assistant to Mr. Garneys, Repton. Last Sunday morning I was sent for to see William Eley. I found him sitting in the kitchen with his legs drawn and his arms folded across his chest. He appeared to suffering very great pain. He told he had taken some aqua fortis and quicksilver. I examined his mouth, and found the skin was taken off by the action of the aqua fortis. I prescribed the usual antidotes. He seemed to get better till the day before yesterday. Then suppression of urine set in. The cause of his death was the aqua fortis and quicksilver, accelerated by disease of the kidneys. The aqua fortis and quicksilver stopped the action of the kidneys. I saw the bottle containing the mixture, and think it might easily have been mistaken for ginger-beer." The jury returned a verdict to the effect that death was caused by the deceased accidentally taking poison.
"Accidental Poisoning at Willington"
in Derby Daily Telegraph
: July 17th 1880 Page 3.
All text and images Copyright - click here for more information.


Licensees of this Pub
1899 - Robert Stone

Click here to visit the website's Facebook pages

Marston's Merrie Monk No.5

Genealogy Connections
If you have a genealogy story or query regarding the Rising Sun Inn you can contact me and I will post it here in addition to including your message within the website pages for Derbyshire Genealogy.

Map to Follow
Map to follow.

Inn Sign
Inn Sign for the Rising Sun at Willington [2003]
Details of this inn sign to follow....

Links to other Websites
Willington Parish Council

The Mail Coach by John Frederick Herring
"At each Inn on the road I a welcome could find; At the Fleece I'd my skin full of ale; The Two Jolly Brewers were just to my mind; At the Dolphin I drink like a wheale. Tom Tun at the Hogshead sold pretty good stuff; They'd capital flip at the Boar; And when at the Angel I'd tippled enough, I went to the Devil for more.
Mail Coach Guard

Marston's Burton Bitter

Marston's Light Ale

Marston's Light Bitter Ale

Work in Progress

Click here to visit Digital Photographic Images

Newspaper Articles
"A tussle in the Rising Sun, Willington, was described at the Derby County Police Court today, when Thomas Wirledge, of Repton, was summoned by Frank W. Chambers, the landlord, for being drunk and disorderly at the inn on December 1st, and further for refusing to quit licensed premises on the same date. Mr. A. R. Flint, for defendant, entered a plea of not guilty. For the prosecution Mr. Bendle W. Moore said the prosecutor, Mr. Frank W. Chambers, had kept the Rising Sun for 15 years. On the date in question Mr. Chambers' attention was called to defendant, who was the smoke-room. Owing to defendant's condition, the landlord asked him to leave, but he refused. Mr. Chambers told defendant he would have to put him out, and succeeded in doing so after a scuffle, in which defendant struck at Mr. Chambers and offered other resistance. Prosecutor gave evidence, and said he asked defendant to leave the house, as he was not in a fit condition to be on licensed premises. He succeeded in putting him out. A witness named Cox, of Woolrych Street, Derby, said Mr. Chambers tried to persuade the defendant to leave quietly. He was drunk and would not go. Other witnesses corroborated. Mr. Flint said it was a private, not a police prosecution, and he appealed to the Bench to deal with it carefully. On the night of the offence defendant only had two bottles of beer. When he entered the Rising Sun the landlord approached him with feelings of enmity and ordered him out the house. Of course, there was loss of temper and a row. It was easy to say afterwards that defendant was drunk. Defendant, in the box. said he went into the Rising Sun to see a gentleman and, as he was not in, defendant said he would wait. He ordered a glass of beer, but Chambers said. "You'll get no drink here." Chambers then said he was going to put him out. They closed, and the landlord tried to hit him with his fist. After a struggle he said, "All right. I'll go now." He went straight to the Green Man, and was served with a glass of beer. Mr. Desborough, agricultural implement dealer, Derby, said he was with the defendant until he caught the bus for Willington, and he was sober. Walter Arthur Freeman, a Trent Motor Bus Conductor, said he saw nothing to suggest the defendant, was not sober when he was on the bus. Charles Raymond Fryer, of the Green Man, Willington. said the defendant came in there about eight o'clock and was sober. Defendant had one beer there. The charge of drunk and disorderly was dismissed, and the defendant was fined 40s. for being drunk and refusing to quit.
"Tussle at Willington"
in Derby Daily Telegraph
: December 11th 1925

Drink Marston's Pedigree

Click here for more information

Marston's Mello Stout

Marston's Pedigree Pale Ale

Marston's Owd Roger Strong Ale

Marston's Amber Ale

Marston's Nut Brown Ale

Barrels Are Meant For Brewing

Click here to follow on Twitter
Click here to visit the website's Facebook pages

Click here to visit the website's YouTube Channel

Click here for more details

Beer and Pipe Smoker

Bar Parlour Stained Glass

Tap Room Etched Glass


Beer is Best

Best Room and Snug

Click here for more details


Public Bar Stained Glass

Woman Serving Beer

Brewery Buildings