History on the village of Aldridge in the county of Staffordshire. Research is augmented with photographs, details of licensees, stories of local folklore, census data, newspaper articles and a genealogy connections section for those studying their family history.



 

Aldridge
Aldridge

Background Information
Aldridge.....

Aldridge Colliery [c.1912]

Saint Mary's Parish Church at Aldridge [c.1955]

Anchor Road and Avion Cinema at Aldridge [c.1949]

 

Related Newspaper Articles
Details to follow....
© Copyright. Images supplied by Digital Photographic Images.

 

Click here to join the Woodforde's Club

List of Pubs
Anchor Inn
Bowman
Bull's Head
Cedar Tree
Crown
Dilke
Elms
Irish Harp
Lazy Hill
Plough and Harrow
Red Lion Inn
Struggling Monkey
Swan Inn
White House

Click here to visit the website's Facebook pages

Map
1884 Map Extract showing Aldridge Village Centre
This 1884 map extract [which can be purchased in its entirety online at Mapseeker], shows the centre of Aldridge where the High Street meets Walsall Wood Road, Anchor Road and Leighswood Road, the latter going north-west to Northwood Villas and Stubbers Green.

Genealogy Connections
If you have a genealogy story or query regarding the Aldridge area you can contact me and I will post it here in addition to including your message within the website pages for Staffordshire Genealogy.

Newspaper Articles
Details to follow....

 

Links to other Websites
Aldridge Local History Society
Black Country Bugle
Black Country Gob
Black Country History in Old Photos
Black Country Society

Banks's Imperial Mild Ale [1960's]

Not One to Mix with the Riff-Raff in the Bar

Click here to visit Digital Photographic Images

1950 Advertisement for Mitchell's & Butler's

Quotation
Samuel Johnson painted by Sir Joshua Reynolds [c.1772]
"There is nothing which has yet been contrived by man, by which so much happiness is produced as by a good tavern or inn.”
Samuel Johnson

Work in Progress

Click here for the Budweiser Budvar website

Édouard Manet "The Merry Beer Drinker" [1870's]

Comic Postcard - Pub Opening Hours

Comic Postcard - Money Matters

Trade Directories
1880 Kelly's Directory
Aldridge is a parish and clean and well-built village, pleasantly situated 3½ miles north-east from Walsall, 7 from Lichfield, 126½ from London and 10 from Cannock, in the Eastern division of the county, Walsall union and county court district, South Offlow hundred, Lichfield diocese, Stafford archdeaconry and Walsall rural deanery. A branch of the Birmingham canal passes through the parish. The Walsall and Wolverhampton extension railway [a branch of the Midland] has a station here. The church of Saint Mary was, in 1853, enlarged, the north aisle and chancel rebuilt, and it was also entirely re-seated, and the western arch opened. There are some good modern stained windows, especially the east window of the chancel : the east window of the north aisle was the gift of the poorer inhabitants of the parish at the time when the church was restored; four others are memorials. An organ was placed in the church, in 1859: there are several monuments, and in the south wall of the chancel the remains of an ancient effigy, in a recumbent position, supposed to be that of the founder of the church. There is also at the west entrance the figure of a Crusader. The register dates from the year 1660. The living is a rectory, yearly net value about £400, with residence, in the gift of the Master and Fellows of St. John's College, Cambridge, and held by the Rev. Jeremiah Finch Smith M.A. of Brasenose College, Oxford, who is rural dean of Walsall. A Wesleyan meeting house was erected in 1851. The charities left by various individuals for distribution among the poor amount to about £28 yearly. Here are the extensive brick and tile works of Messrs. Joberns & Co. and others; there are also several collieries. R. F. Tongue Croxall Esq. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are the Hon. E. S. Parker-Jervis, R. F. T. Croxall Esq. C. F. Dilke Esq. Edward Tongue Esq. F. F. Clarke Esq. W. H. Cooke M.D. and Lady Emily Foley. The soil is various, clay and gravel; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and peas. The area is 2,748 acres of good land; rateable value, £10,800; the population in 1871 was 1,418.
Private Residents
Abbey James, Penhard House
Armstrong Wm. Lamb, Leigh's Wood House
Arrowsmith Mrs. North Heath House
Butler John, Bay Tree House
Chamberlain Ralph, Mount Pleasant
Clarke Frederic F. Aldridge Lodge
Cliff Jabez
Cooke William Harry M.D.
Cresswell Benjamin, Northwood Villas
Dudley Rev. Henry Thornton M.A., The Beeches
James Frank J.P. Portland House
Joberns Joseph, The Grove
Marlow Thomas, Cedar Court
Monro William, Northwood Villas
Morris Joseph Owen, Mount Pleasant
Pickin Mrs. Sheldon ho. Stubbers Green
Pomfret Richard, Northwood Villas
Potter George Gybbon, Moss House
Proffitt Mrs. Woodbine Cottage
Rowbotham John Henry, Leigh's Wood Villa
Smith Rev. Jeremiah Finch M.A. Rectory
Smith Mrs. Beech Tree Cottage
Tongue Captain V. Manor House
Warr Benjamin, Northwood Villas
Warr William, Northwood Villas
Commercial
Adkins Frederick, Boot & Shoe Maker
Aldridge Colliery Co. Limited; office,
Burlington Buildings, Birmingham
Aldridge Gas Co. Limited [Frederick Watson, sec]
Arblaster Edmund, Farmer, Druids' Heath
Aston David, Grocer and General Store
Bate William Henry, Farmer, Mill Green
Bates John, Boot & Shoe Maker
Beddow John, Brick Maker
Bird Charles, Boot & Shoe Maker
Boys John, Farmer, Shrubbery Farm
Butler John [Mrs.], Girls' School
Chamberlain Ralph, Architect & Surveyor at
Mount Pleasant and Walsall
Colley Richard, Butcher
Cooke William Harry M.D. Surgeon, Walmar House
Cotgrove John, Tailor
Crumpton Henry, Saddler
Darby Mrs. Ann, Red Lion
Davenhill Henry, Farmer
Elkin George Oldham, Cabinet Maker & Hosier
Gisborne William, Stationer
Green Samuel, grocer
Halford Charles, Boot & Shoe Maker
Hall Mrs. Elizabeth, Irish Harp, Mill Green
Haughton William, Farmer, Berry Farm
Highway Thomas, Miller and Farmer
Howse William, Anchor
Insley John, Wheelwright
Joberns Joseph & Co. Brick & Tile Makers
Joberns Mary Ann [Mrs.], Bull's Head
Leigh's Wood Colliery Co. Limited
Longmore Isaiah, Farmer
Marlow & Potter, Solicitors
Mills George, Farmer, Mill Green
Myatt James, Farmer, Red House Farm
Myring Thomas, Bricklayer
Nash John, Baker [Pure Bread], Victoria House
Osbourne Henry, Shopkeeper
Payne Clement, Farmer & Dairyman
Perry John, Market Gardener, Druids' Heath
Potts Thomas, Grocer & Corn Factor
Proffitt Joseph, Farmer & Maltster
Reynolds Vincent, Butcher & Farmer
Rhodes Jane [Mrs.], Swan
Riddell William Winter, coal master, Victoria Colliery
Robinson John, Blacksmith
Rodgers John, Butcher
Shaw Joseph, Farmer
Shepherd Ann [Mrs.], Farmer, Boston Lane
Smith Daniel, Wheelwright
Street Mary Ann [Mrs.], Elms
Towers Joseph. Plough and Harrow
Tudor Mary [Miss], Farmer, Mill Green
Victoria Brick & Tile Co. Limited
Watson Frederick, Boarding & Day School
Webster Adie, Tailor and Post Office
White Charlotte [Mrs.], Tobacconist
Woolner Hy. Drill Propr. Barr Common
Wright Henry, Blacksmith

Click here for more information

Comic Postcard - Ours is a Nice House

Comic Postcard - XX Casks

Comic Postcard - Best Pale Ale

Comic Postcard - Church Sermon

Comic Postcard - We Don't Mind If We Do

Comic Postcard - Drink While We Can

Click here to follow on Twitter

Click here to visit the website's Facebook pages


Click here for more details

Click here for more details

Beer and Pipe Smoker

Bar Parlour Stained Glass

Tap Room Etched Glass

Cheers!

Best Room and Snug

The Young Barmaid by Charles Sillem Lidderdale

Bar Etched Glass 

Click here for more details

Publican

Public Bar Stained Glass
 

Woman Serving Beer

Brewery Buildings