Red Lion Inn
The Red Lion Inn was a beer house and, as a result, is not easy to trace in directories of the early-mid 19th century. Rowley Regis locations are fairly non-specific in these earlier volumes. The first record I have found for the pub dates from the mid-1860's. Early in 1866 Hezekiah Golden was declared bankrupt whilst trading as publican of the Red Lion Inn.
Occupied by Marlborough Print in 2008, the building to the right of the Red Lion in this photograph is called Cradley Heath House and was erected in 1867 by Joseph Sutton, a tailor and draper who, although originating from Birmingham, had been trading in Cradley Heath for a number of years. Another tailor and draper by the name of Thomas Wesley was open for business just two doors up from the Red Lion and next door to the Crown Inn on the corner of Grainger's Lane. In 1871 between Thomas Wesley's shop and the Red Lion was the shoe manufactory and retail outlet of Henry Hampton. This can just be seen to the left of the former Red Lion where, in 2008, the premises were occupied by a hairdressing salon.
Henry Heaton was a carter in the iron trade. He is not listed as beer retailer in trade directories but is shown at this address in the census.
Joseph Partridge was the licensee by the early 1880's. The former nail maker kept the beer house with his wife Hannah. The couple had earlier lived in Peartree Street at Reddal Hill. Following their spell at the Red Lion, they retired to Mace Street in Old Hill. Meanwhile, Joseph Sutton, the man who had erected the neighbouring property had moved to Edgbaston where he continued to trade as a draper.
The premises of Joseph Sutton were later occupied by the Banbury-born tailor Joseph Stevenson. His wife hailed from the Isle of Wight. Their daughter Hilda worked as a hairdresser. The family name remains in the mosaic floor of the entrance to the old shop.
At the turn of the 20th century Thomas Price was involved at both the Red Lion and the Hand of Providence in Holly Bush Street. The chainmaker and publican had married Sarah Ann Tromans in 1867. By the end of the Edwardian period the couple had moved to Hagley.
David Tromans held the licence of the Red Lion for over twenty years. As a widower, he hired Miriam Hampton as manager of the beer house. The Old Hill-born publican also employed Nellie Mansell as a servant.
David Tromans was succeeded by Clifford Pearson, a former puddler who had lived in both King Street and Elbow Street in Old Hill.
The name of Henry Horan appears in the 1936 Kelly's trade directory for Cradley Heath but he is not in the licence register for the Red Lion. The register shows that the property was owned by Thomas Price before he sold it to the Netherton Bottling Company. In June 1926 the Red Lion was acquired by Grigg and Brettell Ltd., though the company was part of the Holt Brewery Company by this period.
The licence of the Red Lion Inn was referred to the compensation authority on
March 5th 1941 and it was extinguished later in that year on the last day of
December. Harold Slater was the last licensee to pull a pint behind the servery