History of the Hare and Hounds at Dudley in the county of Worcestershire. Research is augmented with photographs, details of licensees, stories of local folklore, census data, newspaper articles and a genealogy connections section for those studying their family history.


Hare and Hounds
Hare and Hounds

Some History of this Pub
..to follow

Copyright. Images supplied by Digital Photographic Images.


Click here to join the Woodforde's Club


Click here to visit the World Wide Web Consortium                    Click here to visit the World Wide Web Consortium

Licensees of this Pub
1904 - Bridget Fleming


Click here to visit the website's Facebook pages


Genealogy Connections
If you have a genealogy story or query regarding this pub you can contact me and I will post it here in addition to including your message within the website pages for Worcestershire Genealogy.




Links to other Websites
Dudley MBC

Not One to Mix with the Riff-Raff in the Bar


Click here to visit Digital Photographic Images


John Milton
"While the cock with lively din, Scatters the rear of darkness thin; And to the stack, or the barn door, Stoutly struts his dames before; Oft list'ning how the hounds and horn, Cheerly rouse the slumb'ring morn.
John Milton

Newspaper Articles
"Joseph Penn, aged 32, was indicted for the wilful murder of Prudence Hughes on the 24th of September last, in the parish of Sedgley, in this county. Mr. Yardley and Mr. Huddleston conducted the case on the part of the prosecution; and Mr. Allen [with whom was Mr. Keyson] appeared for the prisoner. The prisoner, whose occupation was that of drawing coals, resided at Caddick's End, near Dudley; and it appeared that an illicit connection had for some years existed between him and the deceased, who lived at Sedgley, and that by her he had several children. On the night of the 23rd of September last the prisoner and the deceased were at a public-house in Birmingham Street, Dudley, called the Hare and Mounds, where there yeas a woman named Ann Slater, who lived with the deceased, and three men, Hill, Walker, and Ball. At about midnight the prisoner, the deceased, Ann Slater, and Hill, left the Hare and Hounds, and proceeded along the road towards Sedgley. There was much discrepancy in the testimony of the witnesses to the state in which these four persons were at that time, some declaring that neither of them were sober, and the others positively denying that any one of them was in the slightest degree intoxicated. Slater and Hill walked first, and the prisoner and the deceased followed. After they had proceeded some distance along the road the deceased came up to Ann Slater and Hill and showed her lip, which was cut through and slightly bleeding; at this time the prisoner was about five yards behind them. Shortly afterwards Ann Slater stopped at the house of a Mr. Cartwright, which was on the road, and the deceased and Hill went on about forty yards, when the prisoner came up with them. Hill walked after this time as far as a public house called the Green Dragon, and on turning and retracing his steps in about ten minutes, saw the prisoner and deceased on opposite sides of the road, and heard him say to her "d**** your eyes, you ought to be ashamed of yourself." The prisoner then went towards Dudley, and Hill immediately approached the deceased, who was crying, and he remained with her for about ten minutes, and just before she parted from him he noticed the prisoner walking on the opposite side of the road, in the direction of Sedgley, and about five minutes afterwards the deceased left him and proceeded on her way home. Hill and Ann Slater went along a different road. The prisoner was dressed in a white smock-frock. About two, a.m. on the 24th, that is on the same night, or rather following morning, a man, named Carter, who lived at Gornal, hearing a scream proceed, as he thought, from a woman, rose up, and going to his window, saw a man in a white frock, and a woman with him. The man said to the woman "You d**** b****, I've been watching you," and then struck her with his fist between the shoulders, but rather lower down on the back. The blow sent her reeling. The woman said nothing then. The man then struck her again with his fist in nearly the same place, and she fell to the ground. Carter, on seeing this, opened his window, and cried out, "My man, you had like to have done it," but received no answer. The woman said, "It's of no use, I cannot go any farther." Carter then heard a trickling, as of water. The man laid hold of the woman's left arm and helped her along. Carter saw another man, and then a man and a woman pass his window. At seven o'clock Carter got up, and saw on the road under his window, where the woman had been lying, some blood, and about twelve yards further on, found traces of blood, and in one spot the track was about one foot in width. The woman had on a dark shawl, and this the man removed and threw over his own shoulder. Maria Cartwright, the post mistress of Gornal, on the morning of the same day, heard under her window, which fronted the road, a man's voice in anger, and heard a blow, in a moment afterwards she heard a second blow, and a stifled cry of oh, in a female voice. She described it as if the person who uttered the sound had her mouth covered with the hand. Mrs. Cartwright heard a third blow, which was followed by another stifled cry, in a female voice, of "murder." This occurred at about two o'clock. Two policemen, Isaac Tomkinson and Francis Eager, who were on duty that morning, found on the road near a field, the prisoner and the deceased. The deceased was lying across the side of the path, and resting on a bundle containing blankets, and the prisoner was standing beside her. Tomkinson asked the prisoner what was the matter, and he said that she had been drinking in Birmingham Street, and was intoxicated. Tomkinson, however, perceiving some blood, inquired what was the meaning of that; when the prisoner stated that the woman was his wife, and was miscarrying. Tomkinson then went for a cart, and meeting Ann Slater, sent her for a surgeon. While Tomkinson was absent, Eager [the other policeman], with the assistance of the prisoner and of a man named Wilcox, carried the deceased to a public house called the Jolly Crispins, and soon after the surgeon's arrival and the return of Tomklnson, conveyed the prisoner to the station at Coseley. Both the policemen stated that the prisoner had on a white smock-frock, and the deceased a dark-coloured shawl. There were marks of blood on the prisoner's dress, which however might, as it was suggested, had been received while he was assisting in the removal of the deceased, and holding her legs, as during that time she was bleeding profusely. While at the station house at Coseley, the prisoner made a statement to Maurice Costello, a policeman there, the substance of which was that he accidentally came into the company of the deceased and Ann Slater at Dudley - that they partly forced, partly induced him to go and drink with them at the Hare and Hounds. That he wished the deceased to go home and mind her children, and watched her on the road to see whether she would do so. That at Gornal he went into a dark corner to see whether she would go home, and in a few minutes, on coming back, saw her leaning against a wall, and a man kneeling or sitting within a yard of her. The prisoner further stated that he then asked her why she did not go home, and put his hand to her and pushed her. That he might have struck her, but that he did not think he had done so, and that he was very tipsy at the time. Having said this, the prisoner began to cry, and expressed a hope that Costello would do the best he could for him. The prisoner appears to have supported the children to the best of his ability, and it was proved that be rendered every assistance in carrying the unfortunate woman from the road into the Jolly Crispins. On the other hand, it was stated by Walker and Ball, the two men who were at the Hare and Hounds on the same night as the prisoner and the deceased, that he had said respecting her "She is a rum one, and I'll make a rum one of her; I'll commit a hard by murder before I go to bed." The injuries were described by Mr. Ballender, the surgeon, who was called upon to attend the deceased on the morning of the 24th of September, as of a very serious nature. The deceased stated to Mr. Ballender, that the injuries were not done to her by the prisoner, but caused by a fall, and this statement she made very soon after he was called in, be he gave it as his opinion that they could not have resulted from a fall. The immediate cause of her death, which took place at nine o'clock on the same morning, was haemorrhage, produced by the rupture of two arteries, one of which, however, the surgeon considered, could not have been injured by the external violence alleged to have been used towards the deceased. Mr. Allen addressed the jury on behalf of the prisoner. The learned Judge summed up, and after a short deliberation, the jury returned a verdict of manslaughter. The sentence was deferred."
London Morning Chronicle 20th December 1840

Click here for more information

Click to book tickets online with ZERO FEES

Click here to visit www.top-tunes.info

Click here for the Budweiser Budvar website

Click here to follow on Twitter

Click here to visit the website's Facebook pages

Click here for more details

Click here for more details

Click here for Printer Inks

Click here to visit Truprint

Click here to Play

Click here for more details

Click here to visit B&Q Online

Click here to visit the Black Country Cycling website

Click here to visit National Express Online

Click here to find out more at PC World