History of the Trust to Providence at Primrose Hill Netherton in the county of Worcestershire

www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Click here for the Home Page  Click here to visit the website's Facebook page  Click here to follow on Twitter  Contact via Message Form  Click here for the Menu 

Some history of the Trust to Providence at Primrose Hill Netherton

This pub was located in Washington Street in the area of Primrose Hill. One of the earliest references to the pub is a listing for John Hughes in an 1864 trade directory. The son of Alexander Hughes and Mary Simkiss, John Hughes was a local man. He married Ann Bury in 1837. She hailed from West Bromwich. John and Ann Hughes lived at Primrose Hill in the early 1840's from where he worked as a general labourer. The couple had two young children James and Hannah. They lived next door to older brother Joseph Hughes who worked as a furnace man.

By the end of the decade John Hughes had become a master brick maker. This was probably the business of his father Alexander Hughes. He was a brickmaker and publican of the Brickmaker's Arms in neighbouring Chapel Street. He died in 1848 so it would seem that John Hughes inherited all or part of the business. His mother-in-law, Hannah Hughes, continued to run the aforementioned Brickmaker's Arms so his involvement with the Trust to Providence could be viewed as growth to this element of the family business. Both pubs sold homebrewed ales so perhaps these were produced at the one location but sold in the two outlets? In Owen's trade directory published in 1880 the pub is listed as an inn. In the following year John Hughes was listed as a brewer. He died in 1883, aged 67.

Click here for more details

Benjamin Round took over the licence of the Trust to Providence in 1886. He was the son of Samuel Round who, along with his brother James, inherited the Steam Brewery behind the Cottage Spring Inn at Netherton. As a member of this famous brewing clan, it is little wonder that Benjamin should enter the licensed trade. The story goes that Benjamin Round persuaded his daughter Lucy and her fiancée Edwin Holden to take over the tenancy of a public house in order to start a family in stable surroundings. Subsequently, two months after their wedding, Edwin and Lucy Holden moved into the old Britannia Inn on Northfield Road. Edwin and Lucy would later found Holden's Brewery at Woodsetton.

Benjamin Round was also a brewer. He died in 1900 and the licence passed to his wife Elizabeth. The Trust to Providence would form part of the tied estate of John Rolinson and Son Ltd. During public house reforms, the licence of the Trust to Providence, when due for renewal, was refused on 26th May 1911. The Inland Revenue paid £1,350. compensation and the pub was closed.

Licensees of this pub

1864 - 1883 John Hughes
1883 - 1886 Joseph Breakwell
1886 - 1900 Benjamin Round
1900 - 1904 Mrs. Elizabeth Round
1904 - 1905 H. Field
1905 - 1906 E. Kynnersley
1911 - Lucy Hinton

Genealogy Connections

If you have a genealogy story or query regarding the Trust to Providence you can contact me and I will post it here in addition to including your message within the website pages for Worcestershire Genealogy.

Bar Parlour Glass

Related Websites

Black Country Bugle
Black Country Gob
Black Country Society

Beer is Best [1930's Poster]

Click here for more details

Click here for more details

Click here for more details

Click here to visit the website's YouTube Channel

Quotation

Samuel Johnson

"There is nothing which has yet been contrived by man, by which so much happiness is produced as by a good tavern or inn."
Samuel Johnson

Newspaper Articles

"Mark Fletcher, Thomas Proctor, and Daniel Walker, were charged with wilfully damaging a quantity of bricks, the property of John Hughes, of Netherton. Mr. Lowe appeared on behalf of the defendants, and proved that the case was one of a disputed right of sewerage. Under these circumstances, the bench fined the defendants only 6d. and costs."
"A Frivolous Charge"
Worcestershire Chronicle : July 13th 1853 Page 5.