History of the Hare and Hounds at Shenstone in the county of Worcestershire. Research is augmented with photographs, details of licensees, stories of local folklore, census data, newspaper articles and a genealogy connections section for those studying their family history.



 

Hare and Hounds
Hare and Hounds

Some History of this Pub
Looking at the frontage of the Hare and Hounds today you could easily think that the building is not that old. However, there has been some work undertaken on the building, including an extension. The original part of the pub extends back to the garden at the rear. The timber-framed structure dates back possibly to the 17th century.

Frontage of the Hare and Hounds [1968]

The old turnpike which connected the industrialised regions to the north with the River Severn at Stourport would have encouraged many entrepreneurs to open an inn along its route. The road's halcyon days would have been in the early days of the industrial revolution before the cutting of the canals when raw materials and finished goods would have been transported to and from Birmingham and the Black Country to the river and onto Bristol and then to the rest of the world.

It is still possible to see the old stone steps at the front of this pub where passengers stepped down from their horses or coaches for refreshment. Extended over the years, the Hare and Hounds remains a traditional rural pub which still serves the needs of the passing traveller.

In 2001 the pub had a comfortable lounge bar with a large walk-in fireplace. The rear part of the pub featured both a bar and games room, separated by a Grade II-listed wall.

The Pardoe family were the custodians of this beer house during the 19th century. 84 year-old widow Ann Pardoe was the licensee in 1861. She was both publican of the Hare and Hounds and a farmer of 80 acres employing two men. She was assisted by her 60 year-old daughter Ann.

Following Ann Pardoe's death, son John Pardoe moved from The Bars to take over the beer house with his Herefordshire-born wife Mary. She too succeeded as the innkeeper following bereavement. She was still running the Hare and Hounds in 1891 when she was 79 years-old. The homebrewed ales ales produced at the pub seemingly did something for the longevity of the Pardoe family.

In the image above the inn sign reveals that the Hare and Hounds once formed part of the tied estate of William Butler's Springfield Brewery in Wolverhampton.

In 2001 the Hare and Hounds was operated by Enterprise Inns and the tenant was Sally Eaton who had given up a life of painting on the island of Gozo to run a pub.
Copyright. Posted on 20th May 2012
Images supplied by Digital Photographic Images.

Click here to join the Woodforde's Club

Licensees of this Pub
1861 - Ann Pardoe
1871 - John Pardoe
1876 - Mrs Mary Pardoe
1891 - Mary Pardoe
1901 - William Pardoe
2001- Sally Eaton

Click here to visit the website's Facebook pages

Genealogy Connections
If you have a genealogy story or query regarding the Hare and Hounds you can contact me and I will post it here in addition to including your message within the website pages for Worcestershire Genealogy.

Inn Sign
Inn Sign of the Hare and Hounds [2001]

Links to other Websites
Worcester CAMRA
Worcestershire County Council

William Butler

1950's Playing Card issued by William Butler's

Quotation
Hare Riding the Hound from the Macclesfield Psalter
"Nature will come through the claws, and the hound will follow the hare.
Irish Saying

Newspaper Articles
Details to follow....

Click here for more information

Click to book tickets online with ZERO FEES

Click here to visit www.top-tunes.info

Click here for the Budweiser Budvar website

Click here to visit Digital Photographic Images

Click here to follow on Twitter

Click here to visit the website's Facebook pages


Click here for more details
Click here for more details

Click here to visit B&Q Online

Click here to visit the Black Country Cycling website
 

Click here to visit National Express Online

Click here to find out more at PC World