History on the village of Wyre Piddle in the county of Worcestershire

www.midlandspubs.co.uk

Click here for the Home Page  Click here to visit the website's Facebook page  Click here to follow on Twitter  Contact via Message Form  Click here for the Menu 

Background Information and History on Wyre Piddle

Located on the banks of the River Avon, Wyre Piddle is a small village and civil parish in Worcestershire's Wychavon district. The settlement's name seems to have corrupted from Wyke, itself a later designation for Wick. Piddle, like its Dorset counterpart, stems the Old English pidele meaning marsh or fenland, all of which possibly combines to describe the winding brook that joins the River Avon at Wyre Mill. This seems to make sense as the ground in places is quite squelchy underfoot resulting in the Avon Meadows Community Wetland.

The Cross at Wyre Piddle [c.1920]

The settlement is ancient and an early mill at the confluence of the Piddle and Avon was mentioned in 1086 when partly held by the Abbot of Pershore. Remaining parts of ownership and the meadow were surrendered by William, son of William FitzWarin. Following the Dissolution, the mill and meadows passed to Sir Ralph Sadleir, Privy Councillor to King Henry VIII, before being sold to Richard Shilton. The origins of the existing mill complex go back to 1811-3 and served as a large flour mill for generations. The mill ceased production around 1948, though the buildings are still in use as the headquarters of the Lower Avon Navigations.

We Love Dark Star Beer - Click here for more details

Saint Anne's Church at Wyre Piddle [c.1906]

Wyre Piddle in Kelly's 1912 Directory of Worcestershire

Wyre Piddle is a chapelry in the parish of Fladbury, on the north bank of the river Avon, 1 mile south-east from Pershore Station on the Worcester and Wolverhampton section of the Great Western Railway, 9 miles south-east from Worcester and 6 north-west from Evesham, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Middle Oswaldslow, Pershore petty sessional division, union and county court district, Feckenham rural deanery, Warwick archdeaconry and Worcester diocese. The church is a small but ancient edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave and north porch, a belfry above the chancel arch containing one bell : the chancel arch and lower part of the bell-turret are supposed to be the only Saxon remains in the county, but they do not differ materially from many plain early Norman examples : in the chancel is an ancient piscina found buried in the walls at the restoration, and two hagioscopes : the font is ornamented with chevron work round the rim and at the base ; and there are a few early tiles and some remains of ancient stained glass in the west window : there are 112 sittings. The church, restored and re-pewed about 1845, was thoroughly restored in 1888-90 at a cost of £850, when the western gallery was removed, the nave extended, the floor re-laid, a new roof constructed, and the interior re-seated ; a carved oak pulpit was given by Mrs. Jane Martin, of Pershore, and the stained east window by Miss F. M. Woodward; the ancient altar slab, previously lying in the floor of the sacrarium, was raised on to a wooden stand, and now forms the communion table; the old tiles removed from the nave are now laid in the flooring of the chancel ; on the north side of the nave there is a locker with a glass front containing several curios relics. The register [of baptisms and marriages only] date from the year 1716; the older ones are lost. The living is a chapelry, annexed with Throckmorton to the rectory of Fladbury, joint net yearly value £650, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Worcester, and held since 1903 by the Rev. Charles Jerram Hunt M.A. of St.Mary Hall, Oxford, who resides at Fladbury. There is a Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1840, and enlarged in 1890; and in the centre of the village stands the shaft and base of an ancient stone cross, thoroughly restored in 1844, and now surmounted by an iron cross. Lady Northwick is lady of the manor. The principal landowners are Francis William Bentley Wagstaff esq. and Thomas H. Pearce esq. of Bredon. The soil is light, some clay; subsoil, gravel and sand. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and fruit, but a large portion of the land is cultivated by market gardeners. The area is 368 acres of land and 13 of water; rateable value £1,993 the population in 1901 was 233. Public Elementary School, erected in 1871, for 8o children; average attendance, 74; Miss Mary Bridgwater is the mistress.

Timber-Framed Cottages in Church Street at Wyre Piddle [c.1918]

Newspaper Articles

"At noon on Sunday last, as a large number of men were at work taking down a bridge crossing the Great Western Railway at Wyre Piddle, about three miles from Pershore, the props suddenly gave way, and the bridge, which was composed of brick and timber, and which had been condemned as unsafe, fell in, and the stage upon which a number of men were standing fell with it, and the men were buried in the debris. Nine men, badly injured, were extricated from the ruins. Three of them were taken by special train to Worcester, to undergo surgical treatment at the Infirmary. Their names are Thomas Stanton, of Evesham; Nathaniel Tuffley, of Gloucester; and James Taylor, of Fladbury. Stanton had sustained a fractured skull; the other two were suffering from internal injuries. We are glad to state, however, that they are all progressing favourably."
"Fall of a Railway Bridge"
Worcestershire Chronicle : July 5th 1871 Page 3.

"Mr. John Weston Jarvis, Arbour House, Wyre Piddle, died last night at a meeting of Pershore Avon Masonic Lodge, of which he was the treasurer. The Lodge had just ended, and Mr. Jarvis was walking from the room when he collapsed and died within a few minutes. Mr. Jarvis, who was 58, leaves a widow. He was an architect by profession. He retired from practice in Birmingham about 25 years ago. He represented Wyre on the Pershore Rural Council."
"Pershore Councillor's Death"
Gloucestershire Echo : November 14th 1939 Page 4.

Click here for more details

"On Tuesday morning a fire was discovered in a barn at Wyre Piddle, belonging to Mr. J. Pearce, of Walcot, near Pershore. The barn was filled with barley in the straw, the proceeds of ten acres, which was totally consumed. The Pershore fire brigade and the police proceeded to the spot, but were too late to be of assistance. The property was insured in the Norwich Union."
"Fire at Wyre near Pershore"
Worcester Journal : October 30th 1866 Page 3.

"On Saturday week a yearling top lamb, the property Mr. Thomas Ballanger, was killed in a field at Kington, and with the exception of the skin, head, and entrails, carried away. On the 11th wether sheep, the property Mr. E. Attwood, was killed in a field at Defford, and nearly the whole of the carcase also stolen. On the 13th a yearling wether sheep was killed ia a field at Pinvin, tbe skin taken off in a skilful manner, and the carcase carried off, the entrails and head being thrown into an adjoining brook. In the latter case footmarks were traced to near Wyre Piddle, and houses were searched, but all without success."
"More Sheep Slaughterers"
Worcestershire Chronicle : December 20th 1848 Page 4.

Timber-Framed House in Church Street at Wyre Piddle [c.1914]

"Mr. W. H. Moore [Coroner] conducted an enquiry at the Evesham Police Station, on Tuesday, as to the death of Charles Hall [44], market gardener, of Wyre Piddle, which occurred in Evesham Cottage Hospital on the previous evening. Deceased and Robert Haines, a gardener of Wyre, were driving to Evesham Market on Monday with a pig in a cart. On descending Craycombe Hill, near Fladbury, the pig moved, startling the pony; the reins were broken and deceased was thrown out. The pony went at full gallop down the hill and fell. Deceased was taken to the Cottage Hospital, where it was found that his left leg was broken below the knee in four or five places, and amputation was necessary. Deceased only survived the operation two hours, and died from shock. A verdict of "Accidental death" was returned."
"Fatal Accident at Evesham"
Worcestershire Chronicle : October 22nd 1900 Page 7.

Arbour House at Wyre Piddle [c.1935]

Church Cottage in Church Street at Wyre Piddle [2016]

List of Pubs

Anchor Inn
George Inn

1860 Post Office Directory : Wyre Piddle

PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Rev. Charles Edward Bowden

COMMERCIAL
Andrews Edmund, George
Berrington John, Coal Dealer
Bomford Thomas, Farmer
Cotton Charles, Shopkeeper & Post Office
Cox Elizabeth [Mrs.], Day School
Eccles Mark, Tailor
Farr Benjamin, Farmer
Hawkes George, Cattle Dealer
Howse Martin, Farmer
Morris Selinda, Shoe Maker, Upp.Moor
Roberts James, Anchor
Sharp Joseph, Miller, Wyre Mill
Skinner Joseph, Shopkeeper
Wagstaff James, Farmer
Watkins Elijah, Wheelwright
Winnall Ann [Miss], Dressmaker

1872 Post Office Directory : Wyre Piddle

PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Mrs. Hodgetts
Humphries Edward Thomas
Miss Wagstaff

COMMERCIAL
Andrews Edmund, George
Barnes Henry, Market Gardener
Cotton Charles, Shopkeeper/Market Gardener
Eccles Mark, Market Gardener
Eccles Frederick, Market Gardener
Farr Benjamin, Farmer
Gibbs George, Shoe Maker
Green Frederick, Dairyman
Hodgetts Joseph, Steamboat Proprietor
Morris John, Market Gardener
Moseley William, Market Gardener
Partington James, Farmer
Partington Joseph, Collector of Taxes
Roberts James, Anchor
Sallis James, Blacksmith
Sharp Joseph, Miller [Water], Wyre Mill
Sharp James, Miller [Water]
Skinner Joseph, Shopkeeper

1896 Kelly's Directory : Wyre Piddle

PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Cotton Rev. Arthur William [Curate]
Humphries Edward Thomas, Avonside
Jackson Thomas
Wagstaff Francis William Bentley

COMMERCIAL
Bailey William, Dairyman
Barnes Henry, Market Gardener
Cotton [Mrs] Shopkeeper/Market Gardener
Eccles Frederick, Market Gardener
Eccles George, Market Gardener
Haynes George, Market Gardener
Haynes James, Market Gardener
Hodgetts Joseph, Anchor & Market Gardener
Morris John, Market Gardener
Moseley George, Market Gardener
Moseley Thomas, Shoe Maker
Moseley William, Market Gardener
Owens William John, George Inn
Partington James, Farmer
Prosser Charles, Market Gardener
Sharp Bros. Millers [Water], Wyre Mill
Shepherd Henry, Farmer

1912 Kelly's Directory : Wyre Piddle

PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Cotton Miss Martha M. A.
Wagstaff Francis William Bentley

COMMERCIAL
Ballard William, Market Gardener
Boulter Richard, Baker
Checketts James, Butcher
Cole Frederick, Market Gardener
Derrett & Sons, Grocers
Eccles Frederick, Market Gardener
Eccles George, Market Gardener
Glover Agnes [Mrs] Market Gardener
Haines George, Market Gardener
Haines James, Market Gardener
Haines Robert, Market Gardener
Hall Thomas, Market Gardener
Hodgetts Joseph, Market Gardener
Hopwood Richard G. Market Gardener
Jones James, Anchor Inn
Moseley George, Market Gardener
Partington James, Farmer
Payne Charles, Market Gardener
Phipps Ernest, Market Gardener
Prosser Charles, Market Gardener
Sharp H. & S. Millers [Water], Wyre Mill
Shepherd Henry, Farmer & Asst. Overseer
Wilmore Joseph [Mrs.], Farmer

Genealogy Connections

If you have a genealogy story or query regarding the Wyre Piddle area you can contact me and I will post it here in addition to including your message within the website pages for Worcestershire Genealogy.

Related Websites

Shakespeare CAMRA
Wyre Piddle Parish Council
Worcester CAMRA
Worcestershire County Council

Caution When Ordering Bass

Whitbread's London Stout

West Country Breweries Allbright Ale

Marston's Pedigree

Bass Pale Ale in a Bottle

That's Worth a Worthington

Drink Driving Specials

Click here for more details

Click here for more details

Click here for more details

Click here to visit the website's YouTube Channel

Quotation

Medieval Ducking Stool

"Whoever serves beer or wine watered down, he himself deserves in them to drown."
Medieval Plea

Bar Parlour Stained Glass

Beer is Best Poster

Pipe Smoker with Beer

Victorian Saloon Bar

Drinking Beer from a Tankard

Click Here for the Pub Jukebox