Some history of Wood and Kendrick, Architects based at Colmore Row in Birmingham in the county of Warwickshire.
The roots of this firm can be traced back to the late 1870s. The son of a successful brick manufacturer, Enoch Wood was born at Oldbury in 1855. He served his articles with Martin and Chamberlain of Birmingham. He established his own practice in his mid-twenties, his office being based on the High Street at West Bromwich. He later formed a partnership with William Henry Kendrick, the offices being established on Colmore Row in Birmingham.
For many years Enoch Wood played an important part in the social, philanthropic, and religious activities of his home borough where, in July 1902, he became the oldest magistrate. He was always a keen sportsman and had a long association with West Bromwich Albion, being appointed a vice-president. He was responsible for the stands at The Hawthorns. He even named his residence Hawthorn House, located on Hamstead Hall Road at Handsworth. In his latter years he lived at Matlock in Derbyshire.
Laurence Williams became a senior partner at Wood and Kendrick. For nearly 25 years he held the post of consultant architect to the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust at Stratford-on-Avon, and in this capacity was associated with a number of important conservation and new buildings.
In later years Edwin Francis Reynolds joined the practice. Born in Birmingham in November 1875, he articled to Jethro Antstice Coussins and Frank Barry Peacock during the 1890s. As an assistant, he worked alongside William Henry Bidlake between 1897 to 1899, and Edwin Reynolds of Runtz & Ford in London in 1900-01. He taught at the Architectural Association Day School from 1901 to 1903 and at Birmingham School of Art from 1904. It was in 1905 that he commenced his own practice in Birmingham in 1905. His designs included The Shaftmoor at Hall Green , The Abbey at Bearwood, , The Grant Arms at Cotteridge , The Towers at Perry Barr , and The Three Magpies at Hall Green . ³
"Today Mr. James Clarke [Coroner] held an inquest at the Lewisham Hotel, West Bromwich, respecting the death of William Bell
, architect and surveyor, who was found dead in Hope Street, West Bromwich yesterday afternoon. Robert Bell, Eversley Road, Small Heath, son of the
deceased, stated that his father was formerly in the employ of Messrs. Wood and Kendrick, architects, West Bromwich, and he left their service on October 9th in
consequence of intemperate habits. Since that time he had subsisted on loans and gifts obtained from various people. A few days after deceased left his employment his
wife separated from him and went to reside with witness at Small Heath. She had left her husband because of his drunken habits and ill-treatment. His mother had
told witness that deceased had threatened to take his own and her life. His habits were very peculiar when sober, and while in fits of passion he would smash the
crockery ware and throw the things off the table into the fire. A boy named Edward Cotterill deposed to finding the body. Detective Heappy also described the
ghastly spectacle which presented itself when he arrived on the scene. Deceased had cut his throat from ear to ear, and also stabbed himself in the left side with a
knife. In his right hand he held a razor blade, and a large butcher's knife lay beside him. He appeared to have cut his throat whilst standing front of the
looking-glass. It was stated that deceased owed £13 16s. 9d. to his landlady. He found a bottle containing poison on a shelf, and deceased appeared to have
taken a portion the fluid. A large number of bills, amounting to a considerable sum, were found in the room; all were unpaid, and the majority were from brewers.
A juror remarked that with such a pile of bills and such trouble to face, death seemed to be the poor man's only means of escape. The jury found a verdict of
"Felo de se."
"Felo De Se At West Bromwich"
Birmingham Mail : December 5th 1899 Page 3
"Mr. H. Kendrick and Mrs. Kendrick, 119, Holyhead Road, Handsworth, have been notified that their son, Lieutenant F. H. Kendrick, 1/5,
South Staffordshire Regiment, died from wounds on the 16th inst. A friend, who is a lieutenant in the same regiment, writing to his parents, says: "He died the
noblest death possible, leading his platoon in a gallant charge against the German trenches on the 13th." Lieutenant Kendrick was educated at Abergavenny Grammar
School, Rugeley, and Aston Grammar School. He then devoted two years to private study with the intention of becoming an architect, but changing his mind, entered the
service of the United Counties Bank, Ltd., and was attached to the head office in Colmore Row. Soon after the war broke out he offered his services and was granted a
commission in the Staffords. For some time he was associated with the religious and social life of the Asbury Memorial Church."
"Handsworth Lieutenant Dies From Wounds"
Birmingham Daily Post : October 25th 1915 Page 4
1. "West Bromwich Architect and Artist Dead" : Birmingham Daily Gazette; January 11th, 1935. p.9.
2. "Death Of Leading Architect" : Stratford-upon-Avon Herald; December 9th, 1983. p.22.
3. "Biographical Dictionary of British and Irish Architects 1800-" : <https://architecture.arthistoryresearch.net/>, Accessed December 16th, 2023.