Some history of the Forge Tavern
The licence of the Forge Tavern was transferred from James Moseley to John Martin on October 5th, 1871. James Moseley and his family later operated the Prince of Wales on Long Acre in Nechells - but only after repairs to the building following a gas explosion in which the publican and his wife were injured.
More information on the Forge Tavern in Adams Street to follow. I probably created the page as I had a link to the Forge Tavern from another page. When building the site it is easier to place links as they crop up rather than go back later on. I realise this is frustrating if you were specifically looking for information on the Forge Tavern. There is information on Birmingham dotted around the website - click here for a suitable starting place.
Licensees of this pub
1870 - James Moseley
1871 - John Martin
Note : this is not a complete list of licensees for this pub.
If you have a genealogy story or query regarding the Forge Tavern on Adams Street you can contact me and I will post it here in addition to including your message within the website pages for Birmingham Genealogy.
Have Your Say
If you would like to share any further information on this pub - perhaps your ancestors drank here in the past? Whatever the reason it would be great to hear of your stories or gossip. Simply send a message and I will post it here.
Related Newspaper Articles
"Yesterday morning, at 1.20, a very serious explosion of gas took place at the Prince of Wales Inn, Longacre, Nechells, in the occupation
of Mr. James Moseley. The house had been void for a considerable time, and Mr. Moseley, who keeps the Forge Tavern, Adam Street, had only opened it on the
previous day. Before retiring on Sunday morning, the landlord, with a lighted candle in his hand, and accompanied by his wife, went over the premises to see that they
were properly secured. When he arrived at the club room the explosion took place. The upper storey of the house was blown out, and the roof fell in. Pieces of brick
from the house were found in the cemetery opposite, a distance of 40 or 50 yards, and the gas lamp near the inn was blown to pieces. Mr. and Mrs. Moseley and their
daughter were injured. Mr. Moseley, while running from the scene of the explosion, dislocated his ankle, and Mrs. Moseley has received some severe burns, chiefly on
"Alarming Explosion of Gas"
Birmingham Mail : July 24th 1871 Page 2