Some history of the Adderley Arms Inn on Adderley Street at Bordesley in Birmingham in Warwickshire

Home

Click or tap here

Named in honour of the Adderley family, this public-house was located on the north-west corner of Adderley Street and Watery Lane. It is not to be confused with another Adderley Arms that traded at High Street Saltley.

Birmingham : Map showing locations of public-houses on Adderley Street in Bordesley [1902]

Had it survived World War Two, the building would have been removed for the Watery Lane Middleway. As it was, it disappeared long before the planning committee would have considered its situation. The tavern was destroyed by enemy action on October 17th, 1940. The remains of the building were demolished in the following month on November 21st.

The Adderley Arms Inn seems to have opened at the fag end of the 1840s. A rate book compiled in 1876 detailed the Adderley Arms Inn as a licensed public-house, brewhouse, malthouse, stables, loft and premises. The recorded owners of the property were the executors of the late Thomas Minor. A former shoeing smith, he was born in Stratford-on-Avon around 1801. Together with his wife Elizabeth, they kept the King's Head Inn on High Street Bordesley in the late 1840s. At that house Thomas Minor was recorded as a victualler, blacksmith and car proprietor. He and his wife possibly opened the Adderley Arms Inn. He is recorded at this address in the Post Office Directory for Birmingham published in 1850, suggesting the family had moved in during the previous year.

The 1851 census records Thomas and Elizabeth, with four children, living on the premises. In the late 1850s, although retaining ownership of the Adderley Arms Inn, the family moved a few doors away where Thomas and Elizabeth Minor traded as a grocers. George and Sarah Harris succeeded them as hosts of the Adderley Arms Inn. They were recorded at the tavern in the 1860 Post Office Directory. The couple lived on the premises with six children and employed Worcester-born Martha Harris as a servant. A decade earlier the Harris family lived in Upper Tower Street from where George Harris worked as a caster.

Click or tap here

Birmingham : Public Apology to Samuel Howe by George Cornforth [1869]

George Harris died in his 49th year during January 1866. The licence passed to widow Sarah until December 1867 when Samuel Howe took over. He also had a residence named Weddington Cottage at Acock's Green. I am not sure what George Cornforth said about the publican of the Adderley Arms Inn but he was forced to make a public apology in March 1869. George Cornforth was the licensee of the Barrel Inn, a beer house located diagonally opposite on the corner of Watery Lane and Kingston Road.

Birmingham : Advertisement for an auction of the Adderley Arms on the corner of Adderley Street and Watery Lane in Bordesley [1878]

The Jones family kept the Adderley Arms in the late Victorian era, continuing into the 20th century. It was from the executors of George William Jones that Mitchell's and Butler's acquired the Adderley Arms Inn on November 15th 1917. The sale, which included three houses and one shop on Adderley Street, along with two shops on Watery Lane. The purchase price for the collection of properties was £8,000.

At the outbreak of World War 2 the Adderley Arms Inn was managed by Harry and Beatrice Jones. The couple, who had been close neighbours in Sherlock Street, married in May 1920.

The licence of the Adderley Arms Inn was not extinguished and was held in suspense until 1953 when it was transferred to the temporary building erected for The Fordrough in West Heath. The licence was later removed to the Merritt's Brook in Northfield's Bell Holloway.

Click or tap here

Licensees of the Adderley Arms Inn

1850 - Thomas Minor
1860 - George Frederick Harris
1866 - 1867 Sarah Harris
1867 - Samuel Howe
1876 - James Reeves
1877 - Henry Gameson
1880 - William Morris
1888 - George William Jones
1918 - Nathaniel Rock
1939 - Harry Jones
Note : this is not a complete list of licensees for this pub.

Mitchells's and Butler's

Click or tap here

Related Newspaper Articles

"On Tuesday afternoon an inquest was held at the Adderley Arms, Adderley Street, on the body of a middle-aged man, named James Griffiths Taylor, who resided in the Moseley Road. It appears that on Monday the deceased was standing on some planks in a well, helping to raise some timber to the surface, when the planks gave way, and he was precipitated to the bottom of the well, a distance of seventeen feet. Assistance was speedily obtained, and the deceased raised to the surface. He soon afterwards died from the effects of the injuries he had received. The Jury returned a verdict of "Accidental death."
"Inquest"
Birmingham Daily Post : March 1st 1861 Page 2

Click or tap here for more information

Brummagem Boozers

Click here to visit the W3C Markup Validation Service