Some history of the Wellington Inn on Bridge Street West at Hockley in Birmingham in Warwickshire


Click or tap here

The Wellington Inn was located on the north side of Bridge Street West, on the western corner of Wellesley Street.

Birmingham : The Wellington Inn on the corner of Bridge Street West and Wellesley Street in Hockley [1964]

Joseph and Sarah Lingard had previously kept the Villa Tavern on Villa Street.

More information on the Wellington Inn on Bridge Street West to follow. I probably created the page as I had a link to the Wellington Inn from another page. When building the site it is easier to place links as they crop up rather than go back later on. I realise this is frustrating if you were specifically looking for information on the Wellington Inn. There is information on Birmingham dotted around the website - click here for a suitable starting place.

Click or tap here

Birmingham : The Wellington Inn with cars in Wellesley Street in Hockley [1964]

Atkinson's Etched Glass

Click or tap here

Licensees of the Wellington Inn

1868 - Joseph Lingard
1893 - A. J. Simms
1913 - Walter Arculus
1920 - Herbert B. Flowerdew
1932 - Edward Edgington
1937 - Edward Perrygrove
1940 - 1957 Percy William Hodgson
1957 - 1966 Gladys Elizabeth Fleming
Note : this is not a complete list of licensees for this pub.

Atkinson's Triple A

Atkinson's Ales - Held Up As The Best!

Click or tap here

Related Newspaper Articles

"On Saturday Dr. Birt Davies, the Borough Coroner, held an inquest at the Wellington Arms, Bridge Street West, on the body of Edward Morris Rogers [25], pencil case maker, Bridge Street West. The first witness called was the wife of the deceased. She stated that he died on Wednesday, the 22nd inst. On the 5th inst. he left his home at half-past nine o'clock, in his usual health. He did not say where he was going. He went out alone. Before going to bed she placed a chair against the door, and about half past eleven o'clock she heard it pushed back. When she went down stairs she saw Joseph Henley standing by the deceased, who was sitting in a chair. The kitchen was full of persons. Deceased had a long wound on the side of his forehead, and it was bleeding very much. He had a bandage round his head. It had been put on at the General Hospital. Deceased went to bed, and the bleeding stopped the next morning. He knew witness, and was quite sensible. She did not then ask how it happened. The next day he was a little better, and went to his work, but he was sent back by his master. On the 7th inst. he went to Mr. Vinrace, a surgeon. His head was dressed again, and he had some medicine. He went to see Mr. Vinrace every day until the 18th inst. On Sunday he become worse, and on Monday he complained of a pain in his left side, and showed signs of wandering in his mind. On Tuesday he was very restless, and on the next day he died. She had asked the deceased many times how he got injured, but he would not tell her, and said "Don't bother me." In reply to a Juryman, witness said the deceased was not drunk when he was brought home on the 6th inst. but he had been drinking - William Hirons, jeweller, back of 4, Branston Street, stated that on the night of the 5th inst. he was with the deceased and several others on a piece of waste ground between Farm Street and Bridge Street West. Deceased's younger brother Henry, who was intoxicated, asked a Mr. Phelps to have a glass. Deceased told him to go home, and when he refused he "clouted" his ears several times. Henry Rogers then picked up a brick, and said to the deceased, "If you come near me, I will do for you with this." The deceased did not move, but Henry Rogers threw the brick, and struck the deceased on the forehead. The deceased fell down. He was carried to his home. In reply to a Juryman, witness said that, when the deceased was carried to his own house, some tobacco was put upon his head. Deceased remained in the house about a quarter of an hour, when he was taken to the General Hospital by Henley. Henry Rogers, who was in custody, denied that the deceased boxed his ears. Joseph Henley. publican, Farm Street, stated that about five minutes past eleven o'clock on the night of the 5th inst., the deceased ordered Henry Rogers out of his house. The latter refused to go, but in a short time did go out. Very soon afterwards he heard hooting and shouting, on some waste ground near, and subsequently he went to the home of the deceased, and took him to the hospital, where his head was dressed. He was told to come on the following Tuesday. He was not perfectly sober, but was not drunk. Robert Rogers, brother of the deceased, lamp-maker, living at No. 11, Bridge Street West, was called, but it appeared that the deceased was injured whilst he was looking for his hat which he had lost. Alexander Drummond, surgeon [of the firm of Messrs. Drummond and Vinrace], gave evidence to the effect that a fracture of the skull was the cause of death. The prisoner, who is 18 years of age, made no statement. The Jury then returned a verdict of manslaughter against Henry Rogers, who was removed in custody."
"Charge of Manslaughter Against a Brother"
Birmingham Daily Post : May 27th 1872 Page 6

Click or tap here for more information

Brummagem Boozers

Click here to visit the W3C Markup Validation Service