Some history of the White Hart Inn on Cromwell Street at Nechells in Birmingham in Warwickshire


Click or tap here

The fully-licensed White Hart Inn stood on eastern side of Cromwell Street, on the southern corner of Oliver Street.

Roland and Rosina Wilden kept the White Hart Inn after the First World War. The remained until July 1932, when they moved to the Greet Inn on the Warwick Road.

Born in 1889 at Wolverhampton, Roland Wilden had grown up in Aston after his father moved for work as an edge tool machinist. He may have started work at the same factory but as a polisher. He served as a corporal with the Gloucestershire Regiment during World War One. After being injured he was discharged in December 1916. In July of the following year he married Rosina Pearson. After the war the couple kept the White Hart Inn throughout the 1920s. They remained at the Greet Inn for two decades, Roland dying in July 1952. Rosina lived until she was 95 years-old, passing away in October 1980.

Click or tap here

More information on the White Hart Inn on Cromwell Street to follow. I probably created the page as I had a link to the White Hart Inn from another page. When building the site it is easier to place links as they crop up rather than go back later on. I realise this is frustrating if you were specifically looking for information on the White Hart Inn. There is information on Birmingham dotted around the website - click here for a suitable starting place.

Click or tap here

Licensees of the White Hart Inn

1889 - Matthew Evans
1924 - Roland Wilden
1951 - William Jukes
Note : this is not a complete list of licensees for this pub.

Click or tap here

Related Newspaper Articles

"On Wednesday, an inquest was held by the Borough Coroner at the White Hart Inn, Cromwell Street, touching the death of David Parsons, a glass engraver, aged 44, who had resided at 55, Cromwell Street. Sarah Maria Parsons, daughter of the deceased, deposed that on the previous Saturday deceased left home for business in his usual health. About seven in the evening he was brought home dead, in a cab, by Mr. Page. Deceased was, in a general way, a sober man. He was subject to no complaint, save indigestion. Mr. Thomas Page, of Yardley, and Watery Lane, Town Councillor, deposed that on Saturday evening he brought deceased home in a cab. He was dead on arriving there. On Friday night witness slept at deceased's house, and on Saturday morning left home with him. Witness went to his business, and deceased to his, at Messrs. Stone's glassworks. In the afternoon witness went with deceased to an eating-house in Steelhouse Lane, and had a plate of meat and potatoes each; after which they went Alderman Brinsley's, in Snow Hill, where they met Councillor Wilkinson and other gentlemen. Brandy and wine were produced, and all partook. About half-past five witness saw that deceased, who was generally abstemious, had drunk sufficient, and called his attention to the fact. Deceased, however, went on drinking until he was intoxicated, when Alderman Brinsley gave him some soda water; and likewise bathed his head with it. About a quarter to seven a cab was fetched. In the course of the evening's conversation deceased twice rose in order to make a speech at a supposed public meeting, but on the first occasion fell on his knees, and on the second backwards on the floor, but sustained no injury, as he did not fall heavily. When deceased was put into the cab witness did not know whether he was dead or not, but he believed he was. At the door, while he was being assisted to the cab, deceased asked for his coat and umbrella. Witness's impression was that deceased died in the passage. He was dead on reaching home. In answer to Alderman Brinsley, witness stated that there was brandy upon the table when he and deceased arrived, but he did not see any champagne. By a Juror: When deceased rose from his chair to speak he appeared enraged. William Belcher, the cabman who conveyed deceased home, gave evidence. He believed deceased was dead when put into the cab. Mr. Warnock, surgeon, deposed to having made a post-mortem examination of the body of deceased. He produced a piece of animal substance like a tube, about half an inch long, which he found in the windpipe, it having been vomited from the stomach. He believed the cause of death was suffocation. Alderman Brinsley, upon oath, said that champagne was produced on Saturday till after tea, and that deceased was not asked to take any. After deceased's first fall deceased had no spirituous liquor, except a little brandy in his tea. The Coroner pointed out that there could be no doubt that a casualty had stepped in, not necessarily allied with the state of drunkenness. The Jury returned a verdict of "Accidental death."
"Awfully Sudden Death"
Birmingham Journal : October 24th 1868 Page 2

Click or tap here for more information

Brummagem Boozers

Click here to visit the W3C Markup Validation Service