History of the Woodman Inn on Easy Row in Birmingham in the county of Warwickshire.


Click here for the Home Page  Click here to visit the website's Facebook page  Click here to follow on Twitter  Contact via E-Mail  Click here for the Menu 

Click here for more details

Some history of the Woodman Inn

More information on the Woodman Inn on Easy Row to follow. I probably created the page as I had a link to the Woodman Inn from another page. When building the site it is easier to place links as they crop up rather than go back later on. I realise this is frustrating if you were specifically looking for information on the Woodman Inn. There is information on Birmingham dotted around the website - click here for a suitable starting place.

Click here for more details

Click here for more details

Licensees of this pub

1860 - John Westwood
Note : this is not a complete list of licensees for this pub.

Mitchells's and Butler's

Genealogy Connections

If you have a genealogy story or query regarding the Woodman Inn you can contact me and I will post it here in addition to including your message within the website pages for Birmingham Genealogy.

Have Your Say

If you would like to share any further information on this pub - perhaps you drank here in the past? Or maybe knew a previous publican? Whatever the reason it would be great to hear of your stories or gossip. Simply send a message and I will post it here.

Click here for more details

Related Newspaper Articles

"The danger attending the use of paraffin was further illustrated on Friday by an accident which happened to Jane Fenton [67], of the Woodman, Easy Row. She was engaged at the cooking range, where her clothes became ignited, and it is said that the blaze was caused by her pouring some paraffin from a bottle down the draught hole of the flue. She was terribly burned about the face, arms, and body. Her daughter, Mrs. Judge, was also burned about the arms and hands in her efforts to extinguish the flames. Mrs. Fenton was removed to the General Hospital, where she died about eleven o'clock on Friday night.... On Monday an inquest was held with reference to the death of Jane Fenton, of 5 Easy Row, aged 67. It appeared that the deceased had been in the habit of pouring paraffin down a flue in order to clear it out. Deceased's son-in-law said he had often requested her not to do this, but she always replied that she could not see any danger in it. On Friday morning he heard screams, and on going upstairs found the deceased in flames, which he extinguished with the help of rugs, etc. His wife who had attempted to put out the fire, was badly burned about the arms. The deceased was taken to the General Hospital, where she died on Friday from shock. Dr. Nutthall said that the poor woman was burned practically all over. It was stated that the deceased poured the paraffin down the flue from the can, and the flame caught the spout of the vessel, setting it on fire. Mr. Jarrett said the oil in question gave inflammable vapour at 82 and he could not understand that in the vessel catching fire, unless it had been allowed to stand upon the range, thus raising the temperature. The Coroner remarked that to use oil in the manner that had been described was a very incautious thing to do. A verdict of "Accidental death' was returned."
"Paraffin Lamp Accidents"
Leominster News : May 2nd 1902 Page 3

Brummagem Boozers

Click here to visit the W3C Markup Validation Service