Some history of the Adderley Arms on High Street Saltley at Birmingham in Warwickshire
The Adderley Arms stood on the northern side of High Street Saltley, a few metres from the junction of Metropolitan Street. Well, that is the Adderley Arms pictured on this page. The location of the original tavern may have been in a slightly different place. It was an old licensed house dating back to at least 1801 when Samuel Standley was the publican. He died at the age of 85 in January 1835.
The Adderley Arms was built on land owned by the Adderley family. Charles Adderley, who would later become the first Lord Norton, owned much of Duddeston and Vauxhall. It was here that he donated the land for Birmingham's first public park in August 1856. The ancestral home of the Adderley family was Hams Hall near Coleshill. The first Charles Adderley, an equerry to King Charles I, bought the original hall. Following a major fire in 1890, the hall was demolished and rebuilt in the village of Coates in Gloucestershire at the whim of the shipping magnate, Oswald Harrison.
The Adderley Arms would become a Mitchell's and Butler's house in later years. Before the two breweries merged, the lease of the property was acquired from Lord Norton and Edward Wigginton in March 1891. The Cape Hill brewery eventually acquired the freehold by paying £2,500 to Lord Norton in September 1925.
This photograph was taken around 1908 when Robert East was the licensee. He was mine host in the latter half of the Edwardian period. Measuring 6ft 1½ inches, he was a fairly big bloke weighing over 91kg, and had formerly served in the Coldstream Guards before marrying widow Emma Fowler at St. Cuthbert's Church in 1901. She was running an ironmonger's shop on Summer Row with her father William Murray. A busy house, Robert and Emma East had two servants to help keep the Adderley Arms ticking over.
Emma East had three children from her previous marriage and had three more with Robert East. Odd therefore that, at the age of 38, the publican signed up for active service in September 1914. I cannot imagine that he was still serving with the colours as a reservist from his time in the army during the 19th century. So, leaving Emma to run the Adderley Arms and bring up six children, off he went to war. After being injured he left hospital and served in Egypt with the Military Police. On his return to England in July 1919 he had to move to a new address because, in 1917, Emma East had moved from the Adderley Arms to the Golden Lion in Lionel Street. The couple remained in the licensed trade, moving a couple of times during the 1920s. In 1930 Robert and Emma East were running the Clarendon Arms on Upper Webster Street.
The Adderley Arms was destroyed by enemy action on the night of 16th/17th May 1941. German bombers targetted Metropolitan-Cammell and the Wolseley plant but on that evening three incediary bombs landed on or close to the High Street causing the total destruction of the Adderley Arms.
"Dr. Wynter, coroner for Central Warwickshire, held an inquest at the Adderley Arms, Saltley, yesterday, on the body of
Harriet Fell , wife of Mr. Thomas Philip Fell, landlord of the Angel Hotel, Stratford Road. Sparkbrook. On Sunday morning last Mr.
Fell and the deceased went for a drive in a phaeton to Whitacre, to visit some friends. They remained to dinner and tea, and started for home at seven
o'clock. All went well until they were about a mile from the Bradford Arms, on the Castle Bromwich Road, where one of the pins of the trace worked
itself out. The pony became restive, and took fright. Mr. Fell did all in his power bring the animal to a standstill; but his efforts were futile,
and his wife, becoming alarmed, jumped out of the vehicle into the road, sustaining fatal injuries. The jury returned a verdict of "Accidental
"The Fatal Trap Accident"
Birmingham Daily Post : May 1st 1889 Page 7