Some history on London
This inter-war photograph was taken from Flamsteed House, the original Royal Observatory building at Greenwich. The focus of the photograph is the so-called Onion Dome which was designed specifically to house the Great Equatorial Telescope. An earlier dome was a riveted iron frame covered with papier mâché. The Great Equatorial Building was constructed in the late 1850s.
A view of Christ Church and the Clock Tower near Highbury Fields. The granite and cast-iron timepiece was donated by Alfred Hutchinson to the Islington Vestry in honour of Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee in 1897. Christ Church was erected to the designs of Thomas Allom in 1847-8 on a site donated by John Dawes. Based at Balham Hill, Thomas Allom had written "Constantinople and the Seven Churches" and "France in the 19th century" and his work was deemed to combine art and architecture to great effect. Built with Kentish ragstone and Bath stone dressings, the cruciform-shaped structure combines elements of Gothic within the decorated style of the early 14th century. Following the overheating of a furnace flue, the building caught fire in January 1866, causing considerable damage to the roof. The nave was extended by two bays in 1872 and there have been several additions over the years.
"While cycling in Kennington Road on Saturday afternoon a young fellow attempted to pass between a heavily-laden coal cart and a train
going in the direction of Westminster Bridge. A heavy shower of rain having made the road slippery, his wheels skidded. He was thrown right under the hoofs of the horses
attached to the coal van, and one of the animals stepped on his chest, and when medical aid arrived life was extinct. Some cards on the body bore the name Charles
Whitelow, but no address."
"London Cyclist Killed"
Tamworth Herald : June 9th 1866 Page 8