Photographs, Negatives, Slides and Plates of Lancashire
Anybody thinking the cleaning of Glasson Dock would involve a dredger scooping up all sorts of gunge that had sunk to the bottom of the basin then think again. As can be seen in this Edwardian image, a row of men are digging up much by hand. A tough gig if ever there was one! Some of the men are up to their thighs in thick mud whilst trying to work a shovel along a deep channel. I am not sure how often this task was undertaken. The Lancaster Guardian did report on such an undertaking in June 1954 when they stated that the dock "will be out of commission for ten days. In the interval the bed of the dock will be "spring cleaned" and its depth lowered by three feet six inches. This operation being carried out by a party of twenty men, armed with spades, who work between tides. It is estimated that twenty tides will have come and gone by the time the task is completed." Capt. James W. Gardner, the Harbourmaster, told the reporter that "the dock was last cleaned out three years ago. Each year, he said, about a foot of sand and mud is brought in by the tides and deposited on the harbour bed. He explained that the men dig channels and then water from the basin is let out, and this washes the silt out into the river and into the bay."
I have had a scoot around Clitheroe via Street View but I am not sure where this shop was located. It is Branch No.6 of the Clitheroe Co-operative Society Limited but trade directories for the town do not list by number. There were quite a few branches in the town such as No.2 Salthill Road. However, this does not tally with the image in that the shop is on a slope. Somewhere like Moor Lane perhaps? Certainly there was a branch at Nos.14-6. There were also shops listed at 35 Russell Street, 1 Victoria Street, 29 Peel Street, 2 De Lacey Street, 2 Lower Gate, 35 Woone Lane and another on Waddington Road. The registered office was at No.2 Moor Lane where William J. Povey was the secretary for many years. Still, a lovely shop photograph.
An inter-war view of Heysham Harbour with R.M.S. Duke of Rothesay passenger ship berthed. Built at the Dumbarton shipyard of William Denny and Brothers, this steamer was operated by the London Midland and Scottish Railway from 1928 to 1956, principally on the Heysham to Belfast route. The Midland Railway company built the new harbour and railway link in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, officially opening in 1904. In March 1929 the Northern Whig reported that "After a quarter of a century's service as commander in the Heysham-Belfast steamship service, Captain Relph, Commodore master of the R.M.S. Duke of Rothesay, and for many years captain of the S.S. Antrim, has retired, . He had the fine record of never once during the 25 years he was master on the Heysham route missing a trip or had a day off duty through illness." Three years later, in September 1931, Captain John M. Campbell died suddenly when on the bridge of the R.M.S. Duke of Rothesay, during the crossing from Heysham to Belfast. The ship's officers and crew all attended the funeral. H. C. Samson was the chief engineer on the R.M.S. Duke of Rothesay when the vessel served as a hospital ship during the Second World War. He sailed from Southampton to Mulbery Harbour, Cherbourg and the beachheads. The ship carried a total of 24,000 hospital patients during this period, and at Coursells on D plus-two day came under heavy fire. One shell penetrated the deck and fell without exploding, into the captain's bunk.
Somewhat modified, the Market Hall at Bolton has become one of the town's most treasured landmarks and still serves an important role in the retail economy. Opened with great pomp in December 1855, the building was designed by architect George Thomas Robinson. The Manchester Times reported that "the site on which it is erected was a few years ago a rapidly and irregularly sloping bank of the River Croal, covered with houses of the lowest description, and then as much a nuisance and eyesore as it is now a convenience and a beauty." The development resulted in some 35,409 cubic yards of excavation, 12,028 cubic yards of rubble walling, 13,645 superficial yards of brickwork, 6,664 superficial yards of flagging, 1,500 superficial yards of gallery landings, 59,924 cubic feet of ashlar, 30,000 superficial feet of glass, and 823 tons of wrought-iron and cast-ironwork. The plate-glass used weighed 80 tons, which was supplied, and the work executed, by Mr. Makinson, of Bolton. The hall was painted by Mr. Peat, of Bolton, and the gas fittings were the work of Messrs. Taylor and Galloway, also of Bolton. Those were the days when things were done locally.
The Waggon and Horses on Halifax Road at Smallbridge near Rochdale is a pub no more, the building being converted into a shop and off-licence. The red brick building with stone dressings stands on the corner of Ashbrook Hey Lane. The buildings on the opposite corner, including the shop, have vanished. The building housing a small grocery store to the left of this photograph has survived. In the 1920s the shop was kept by Mary Belfield whilst next door at the pub the licensee was George Schofield. This images dates from the early 1950s when the Waggon and Horses was operated by the Cornbrook Brewery Co. Ltd. The licensee at the time was J. Carter. The house appears to be a late Victorian or early Edwardian rebuild. The older Waggon and Horses is mentioned in January 1847 when a serious assault took place in the house. It was reported in the Manchester newspapers that George Townend, a coal proprietor and farmer, was making a bargain for a dozen knives with a hawker at the Waggon and Horses, when Hugh Neil, an itinerant Irish tinker, entered the house, and began to interfere, upon which he was told several times to mind his own business. Neil immediately took a soldering-iron out of his budget, and struck George Townend a violent blow over the left cheek bone, felling him, senseless and bleeding, to the ground. Mr. Sellers, a surgeon, was sent for and he described the wound as a very severe one. He told the Rochdale magistrates that had it been nearer to the temple it might have caused instant death. Superintendent Fowler stated that in July last Hugh Neil committed a similar offence upon his wife, who never dared to live with him since. He said he had been in the army, and when he got too much drink his head was not right. The magistrates committed him for trial at the Liverpool assizes where he was jailed for 12 months.
This Edwardian image was captured in the village of Overton just as a brake of day-trippers were coming around the bend from Middleton Road. The circular day trips from Lancaster were very popular and included visits to Heysham, Middleton and Overton. This road junction has changed over the years but the building on the left has survived. Known as North Farmhouse, the building of sandstone rubble has a shaped lintel dated 1674. Dating from the early-mid 18th century, the large Manor House farmhouse to the right of the brake is also standing, close to the junction of Chapel Lane. The white cottage is also a survivor.
A view looking west along Market Street at Lancaster from a position close to the junction of King Street. Just out of sight on the right is Castle Chambers which was built in 1897. W.H. Smith is on the left in a building now occupied by Waterstone's. The next building along on the left is the King's Arms Hotel, a building featuring some lovely architectural detail. It has a blue plaque informing visitors that Charles Dickens stayed there in 1857 and 1862, with the author's remark: "They gave you Bride Cake every day after dinner." What the plaque fails to tell visitors is that Dickens did not stay in this building as the hotel was rebuilt in 1879 in the Northern Renaissance style. Featuring an octagonal turret, the tall building seen here in the distance is the Storey Institute on the corner of Meeting House Lane. The Jacobean Revival-styled building was constructed between 1887 and 1891 as a replacement for the Lancaster Mechanic's Institute. The name commemorates the benefactor Thomas Storey who was Mayor of Lancaster during Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee.
Taken around 1920, this photograph shows G. Harwood standing proudly next to his horse-drawn van at Blackpool. Oh, and his dog in the driving seat. There is not much detail to work with so I am not sure what trade or business in which he was engaged.
It was a cold winter's day when this photograph in Appleton was captured in the mid-Edwardian period. An expensive-looking carriage is being driven along the road - perhaps related to Appleton House? A policeman can be seen to the left, behind whom are posters relating to an outbreak of swine fever in 1906. This was a serious issue throughout the UK but seemingly better managed in Lancashire where the number of reported cases were lower. The Board of Agriculture had brought in stricter controls and did not tolerate poor husbandry.
The Aspden family of No.44 Eshton Terrace in Clitheroe have clambered onto their lorry for this photograph. The head of the family was Newton Aspden, a coal merchant, furniture remover and general carrier. This is the removals lorry used in the business. The census of 1901 shows that his daughters Mary, Catherine and Isabella lived with him and his second wife Mary. They are almost certainly featured in this photograph. The couple had sons named Richard, Tom and Richard who are likely to be featured in this family gathering for the photographer. Mary, better known as Polly, married the East Lancaster cricketer Watson Hoyle.
This public-house operated by the Cornbrook Brewery Co. Ltd. traded at No.85 Manchester Street, on the corner of Bradshaw Street. The attractive red brick building dressed with stone is still standing but not as a tavern. The tobacconist's shop formed part of the same development. Bernard Hickey was the licensee at the time of this photograph. He kept the pub with his wife Alice. A notable licensee of this public-house was Paul Kennedy who kept the boozer for 12 years until his death, aged 69, in 1942. Although he had been in failing health for some time, the publican's death came suddenly for he was attending to his customary duties only the previous evening. Paul Kennedy moved from Ireland in the late 19th century and in his earlier years lived both in Liverpool and Bury. It was at the end of the Edwardian period that he entered the licensing trade to become landlord at the Woolpack Hotel, Birch Street, Heywood, where he remained for five years, after which, from 1915 to 1930, he was licensee of the Rope and Anchor Hotel at Rochdale. It was in the latter year that he became associated with the quaintly-named Our House Inn. His wife died in 1935 but he continued to run the house. He was a member of the Rochdale and District Licensed Victuallers' Association and a worshipper at St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church.
It may have been the lunch break for the workers at the Eureka Brush Works at Accrington. The business was owned by the Phillips family. Actually, the photograph may be slightly later as it was in 1907 that tenders were invited to construct a new works for Walter Phillips. He did not always enjoy a harmonious relationship with his workforce. There was a lockout at the factory in October 1897 when the workmen objected to female labour being employed in the works. The matter had almost been settled, but the men alleged that Walter Phillips had gone back on his terms of settlement and locked them out. Phillips stated that "the dispute is one of management" and that "the society men wanted to boss the show." He claimed that they had "become so domineering that could not put up with them, and it was thought desirable, in the interests of the other hands, to lock them out." There are eight society men idle when the lockout was implemented.
This image shows some of the celebrations at Clitheroe for the coronation of King George V on June 22nd 1911. It would appear that the Mayor's carriage has pulled up outside the White Lion Hotel after being part of a long procession of floats and people. Sat in the carriage is John Thomas Whipp, Mayor of Clitheroe between 1904-1911 and who served again in the early 1920s. He was the head of the cotton manufacturing firm John Mercer and Co. Ltd. Sat next to him is his wife Isabella. The couple had been married for 20 years when this image was captured. The licensee of the White Lion Hotel at the time of the coronation was James Henry Haliwell. He and his wife had earlier kept the Red Lion Inn on Castle Street. The man looking out of the upper floor window to the left of the photograph is possibly Joseph Walshaw, proprietor of the clothing shop beneath, a business he operated with his wife Cecilia.
An inter-war view of the Widnes-Runcorn Transporter Bridge that spanned the River Mersey and Manchester Ship Canal. Opened in 1905, the bridge was operated until July 1961 when it was replaced by the Silver Jubilee Bridge. Although later demolished, the former approaches to the structure are still visible on both sides.
Another view of the Widnes-Runcorn Transporter Bridge spanning the River Mersey and Manchester Ship Canal. In this photograph the transporter car can be seen in operation. When the bridge opened in 1905 the car measured 55 feet in length and was designed to carry 4 two-horse farm waggons and 300 passengers. The car was operated by a driver in a cabin at the top of the car, enabling vision in all directions.
Reginald Dixon was the organist at the Tower Ballroom in Blackpool between 1930 and 1970 making him something of a Mr. Blackpool. He was born in Born in 1904 at Ecclesall near Sheffield, he was tinkling piano keys by the age of two. He took up lessons on a church organ in his early teens and was appointed organist at Birley Carr Methodist Church. Bt the age of 17 he was awarded Associate of the Royal College of Music. The golden age of cinema lured him to become an organist at Stocksbridge and Chesterfield before moving to the Midlands to play on Wurlitzer organs. In March 1930 he became organist at Blackpool's Tower Ballroom and within weeks the BBC were broadcasting his astonishing performances. By 1952 Dixon had made over 1,000 broadcasts, interrupted by the Second World War during which he served in the Royal Air Force. Thousands flocked to the Tower Ballroom to dance to the sound of Reginald Dixon at the organ, whilst thousands more just came to watch.
This Edwardian photograph shows Maghull Hall Bridge, a swing-bridge on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal. There were two public-houses close to the bridge - the Travellers' Rest and this building, an old beer house called the Horse and Jockey. At the time of this photograph the licence was held by Esther Marshall. Her husband William was the steam engine driver for the bridge. This section of the canal was completed by 1774 and facilitated new industry in the area, notably quarrying of sandstone. The name of this beer house celebrated horse racing which took place at Maghull in the early 19th century. Old Racecourse Farm was further along Hall Lane. Maghull is also close to Aintree, home of the Grand National steeplechase.
This Edwardian photograph was possibly taken on a Sunday morning as a group of men are gathered on the canal bridge and may have been waiting for the licensee of the Red Lion Hotel to open up. In the 21st century this canalside tavern was trading as the Dover Lock Inn. Dover Lock No.2 can be seen through the arch of the original bridge. Lock No.1 and the Lock House was a little further along the Leigh Branch of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. A new canal channel was later constructed to compensate for mining subsidence and the locks became redundant. The bridge has also been altered over the years. Joseph Shaw was the licensee of the Red Lion Hotel when this photograph was taken. He kept the hostelry with his wife Mary Ann.
A photograph dating from around 1913 showing the Cock and Trumpet at Halebank, then part of Lancashire. The name above the front door is that of Fred Thomlinson so I assume that is the publican stood by the doorway, along with his wife Elizabeth. Married in 1909, the couple farmed some land in addition to running the Cock and Trumpet. Fred Thomlinson was born here in November 1870, his parents James and Hannah Thomlinson were running the tavern. Frederick died at a relatively young age in July 1919. Elizabeth was still at the pub as a widow when she died at the age of 48 in 1922. The Cock and Trumpet was rebuilt in the 20th century but even that building has gone with the site being redeveloped for housing. Burtonwood Brewery Co. [Forshaw] Ltd., owners of the property during the inter-war years, submitted plans for the rebuilding of the property in September 1939. However, I would have thought such work would be put on hold following the outbreak of war. The old tavern was a popular destination pub for those living in the Widnes area. A new bowling green was opening in 1913 and proved very popular with regulars and visitors. Elizabeth Thomlinson used to provide knife and fork teas for those using the bowling green.
A late Edwardian view of the Ship Hotel at Overton. The name of Jackson can be seen on the boarding. Thomas Jackson was licensee of the Ship Hotel for 48 years. He was a former overseer for the township, an honorary member of the Rose of Lune Lodge of Oddfellows, and from 1907 until his death in 1924, a member of the Lancaster Rural District Council and Board of Guardians. He left the pub in 1922, a period when the Ship Hotel had a Blacksmith's Shop, Bowling Green and Pleasure Grounds.
The composition of Dalton Square changed when construction of Lancaster's Town Hall started in 1906. The building was financed by Lord Ashton who brought in the distinguished architect Edward Mountfield to design the imposing edifice. Noted for his Baroque-style, he had previously designed the Old Bailey, along with the town halls at Battersea and Sheffield. A massive memorial to Queen Victoria took pride of place within the gardens of the square. This can beseen to the right of the photograph. The Edwardians saw fit to include only two women, George Eliot and Florence Nightingale, among the fifty-three people depicted on the lower sections of the memorial.
This Edwardian photograph of the Unicorn Inn at Cronton was taken from across the road, close to the old village stocks where miscreants were once humiliated or pelted with rotten vegetables. Here, two of the old locals are amusing themselves by sitting on the bench with their legs through the holes. The stocks have been moved to a park nearby. There is a stone on the front of the Unicorn Inn bearing the date of 1752. The Houghton family kept the Unicorn Inn during the late Victorian period and into the 20th century. The name of James Houghton can be seen on the sign. He was a popular figure in the locality. In addition to publican, he was churchwarden, clerk to the Bola Parish Council, clerk to the Ditton Parish Council, overseer for Cronton, and clerk to the Cronton Parish Council. The Unicorn was featured in the Liverpool Echo in June 1990 when the licensee was fined for several hygiene offences. Elizabeth Colinson had gone to the pub for a meal and ordered a steak and mushroom pie but when she tucked into her meal she squealed in horror when she found a dead mouse inside her pie.
This view of King Street is looking towards the railway station from the junction of Railway View Avenue. The lovely shop front and doorway of Regent House has long since gone but the building has survived into the 21st century and in 2021 it housed the pharmacy of Peter Buckley. At the time of this Edwardian photograph the premises was occupied by the tailor and draper Abraham Robinson. Hailing from Barrow-in-Furness, he and his wife Ellen had previously traded in Castle Street. He died in 1907. The building with the pointed roof on the left is the Police Station opened in the 1870s. A memorial to Police Constables Thomas Pollitt and George Henry Venn was erected there in May 1916. The officers had died while serving in the Military Police in World War One on board H.M.S. Hythe which sank off Cape Helles in the Dardanelles with the loss of 155 lives.
Mrs. Susannah Woods traded as a draper on Bridge Road at Chatburn in the mid-1920s. I have mis-labelled it Bridge Street so will need to change the image. I imagine that is her son featured in this photograph. This could be the small retail shop that stands next to the Black Bull Inn, premises that housed a hairdressing salon in the 21st century.
Those were the days - there were sufficient staff working at the public library to turn out a football team. The trophy they are proudly displaying is the Joyce Cup. I assume the trophy was named in honour of William Joyce, the Scottish footballer who played as a centre-forward for Bolton Wanderers in the 1890s. Whilst Bolton public library were spending free time playing football Rochdale's professional team were setting a new trend in football by starting a library for their players. In 1928 it was reported that the directors of the club had donated books for the literary education and recreation of their players.
A photograph that will make some people cringe, particularly the glass cabinet containing the surgical instruments. Still, everything looks spotlessly clean - in those days nurses lived in fear of the matron's inspections. The foundation stone of the Blackburn Infirmary was laid by the Mayor, William Pilkington, in May 1858. However, because of the depressed state of the local cotton industry, exacerbated by the American Civil War, funding for the building was difficult. The hospital finally opened in 1864. The operating theatre seen here was in the Victoria Wing, an extension to the building completed in 1897. The wing also included a sterilising Room, anaesthetic room, recovery room, and a new ward on the first floor. A new wing for the hospital was first proposed in 1880, suggesting that the wheels of local government turned very slowly in Blackburn.
A view of Shude Hill Market at Manchester towards the end of the Edwardian period. I believe that this is the former retail fish market and viewed from Oak street, though it would appear that flowers were also sold from this section of the market complex. Built around 1873 this part of the Smithfield Markets has survived into the 21st century as the Oak Street Craft and Design Centre.
I regret that I have little or no information on this image featuring several athletes at Widnes. The plate from which the image is taken has the title of "A memorable group of great runners in Widnes," though the names of the people in the photograph is not included. Widnes Athletic Club held an annual festival, usually at the football ground. In July 1904 a correspondent for Athletic News stated that it was the 37th annual meeting, making it quite an institution on the sporting calendar. Top athletes from around the UK would contest for prizes at Widnes. In 1904 the 100 yards scratch race was won by the South London Harrier J. W. Morton who beat R. L. Watson of Liverpool and W. H. Hunter of St. Helen's. Five thousand spectators witnessed this exciting race. Looking at a newspaper cutting of another event I suspect that the man third on the left is Tom Laws, sports organiser and administrator of the Widnes festival. He was a good runner himself in the 19th century.
This photograph was taken in January 21st 1906 during the destructive fire at the Rossendale Calico Printing Works at Love Clough. This was the property of the Calico Printing Association. The warehouse and the large machine room, the latter containing what was reported to be 16 of the largest and most expensive machines in the country, were soon a complete wreck, as were also other departments of the works. The fire raged for around four hours and the damage was estimated to be over £100,000, though it was covered by insurance in several companies.
An image showing the aftermath of the fire at the Rossendale Calico Printing Works at Love Clough [see above] Some men have paused for the photographer whilst undertaking some of the clean-up operation. The effect on the local community was devastating as the print works employed over 500 people and, unless engaged in clearing up the debris, most of the workforce were thrown out of work. In order to find work and rebuild their lives, a good number of people were forced to migrate to other parts of the county and beyond.
A fine inter-war view of Manchester Market Place with cars and pedestrians. On the left is the Muirhead and Willock Provisions Store who, according to a board on the frontage, made their own sausages, veal and ham pies, along with Bury puddings. Next door was the premises of the pawnbroker Robert Roberts Ltd., possibly a branch of the business in Liverpool. Robert Roberts died following a fight with the Liverpool publican Thomas Hughes. The timbered building further along the road is that of Ye Olde Fyshing Tackle Shop. This was described in 1892 as a shop that, "though it has experienced many vicissitudes of fortune, still remains one of the very few relics of bygone Manchester - in the quaint black-and-white structure at the corner of the Old Shambles, a narrow passage leading from the Market Place to Victoria Street. In our young days it was kept by old Bowen, a noted optician, who decorated the front of his establishment with an enormous pair of spectacles, and a telescope of Brobdingnagian proportions; but the optician and his miscellaneous knick-knacks have long since disappeared, and the premises are now known as "Ye Olde Fyshing Tackle Shoppe."
This photograph shows Hopper No.20, a vessel operated by the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board. Their offices can be seen in the background of this photograph. I think the vessel was officially known as a Steam Hopper Barge and this was numbered 113492. A similar vessel sank in the great storm of February 1913 in which eleven of the twelve crew were drowned. The only survivor was Alfred Slater of Bootle.
This photograph shows the war memorial parade at Clitheroe, an event held on August 18th 1923. The parade is seen here at Castle Gate with the curved shop front of the boot and shoe dealer Thomas Cunningham behind the crowd. Next door at No.2 is the shop of antiques dealer Thomas Lord. A little further along Castle Gate is Whiteside & Whiteside, coach and motor painters. The parade finished at the castle grounds where a cenotaph memorial by the sculptor Louis Frederick Roslyn was unveiled by the Mayor of Clitheroe, Alderman John Thomas Whipp. The first wreath was placed by Mr T. Snape who lost four sons and a son-in-law.
When these properties were erected in Wheel Lane at Pilling they were in relative isolation. More recent housing has sprung up on this lowland of The Fylde. Looking pretty much the same as the day they were built, this row of houses still stand, though the pretty gardens have largely been replaced by car parking spaces.
An Edwardian view of the Castle Gateway or Gate House at Lancaster. The castle was still being used as a Category C Prison until 2011. Built on the site of a Roman fort, the castle's origins date back to 1093 when Roger de Poitou, a cousin of William the Conqueror, built a motte and bailey castle on the site. The Pendle Witches were tried at Lancaster Castle in 1612. Another very famous prisoner was George Fox, the founder of Quakerism. Around 200 executions took place at Lancaster Castle, 43 of them being for murder. Old Ned Barlow was responsible for 131 of the executions.
An Edwardian view of Victoria Road at Widnes. There is little commercial activity but plenty of people in the road so perhaps the image was captured on a quiet Sunday morning. On the left The Doctors public-house can be seen. Operated by Greenall Whitley & Co. Ltd. of Warrington, the pub was formerly called the Alexandra Hotel. The name of Daniel Ambrose can be seen above the front door. His parents kept the Brick Wall Inn at Tarbock but he moved to Widnes and worked as a barman for the publican Thomas Gerrard at the end of the Victorian period. He married the gaffer's daughter Annie and took over as licensee. At the age of 36 he became very ill during the winter of 1910/11. He was sent to Bournemouth to recuperate but on the journey south he contracted a chill which led to his death from pneumonia. He was buried at Halewood in February 1911. Further along Victoria Road large signs can be seen for a pawnbroker and optician. The police station stood at the end of the row. In the distance the public library and technical school can be seen, along with St. Paul's Church.
The Masons' Arms remains a popular destination pub in the 21st century. Outdoor seating now dominates the front of the building. The historic tavern nestles on the steep climb up Fell Foot Brow, a lane that heads to the southern end of Lake Windermere from Bowland Bridge, the latter being just across the county border delineated by the River Winster. Trade at the inn was largely from those travelling up the zigzag, part of an old packhorse route from Kendal to the Furness area which was upgraded to a Turnpike in 1763. This is possibly the period when the tavern came into existence. The photographer was stood on Smithy Lane. The track to the right of the tavern led to Hollins Wood and onwards to Great Hartbarrow. Here a couple of traps are parked outside whilst the passengers are enjoying refreshments and perhaps a lunch at the Masons' Arms. The name above the door is that of John James Matthews. He succeeded his parents, Robert and Alverella, who had kept the Masons' Arms for many years during the Victorian era. Indeed, the Masons' Arms was his life - born in 1870, he had grown up in the pub, run it with his wife Elizabeth and was still publican during the Second World War. The publican, who had lived through such historic times, died in June 1947. When I visited this pub it was run by Helen Walsh. Indeed, I believe she and her husband kept the Masons' Arms for around 23 years before selling in 2002. The couple had for many years produced their own fruit-laced beers and spirits.
A lucrative ploy of the Edwardian photographer was to gather together the holiday-makers staying at one of the guest houses on the seaside in order to take a photograph. The people could subsequently purchase postcards to send to friends and family. This group may be an extended family or neighbours who had travelled together to enjoy a break at Blackpool. A notice board to the left details excursions from the North Pier operated by the Blackpool Passenger Steamboat Company.
This photograph shows the canal locks at Plank Lane, along with the colliery and adjoining Britannia Hotel. Replacing an older building this attractive hotel was erected in 1903 by George Shaw & Co. Ltd., of the Leigh Brewery. Some of the company's etched-glass windows survived into the 21st century. However, this 1911 photograph shows that the hotel was selling beers from the Ardwick Brewrey operated by Chester's Brewery Co. Ltd. Although the Britannia Hotel closed in 1962 the building was not demolished until April 2009. Bickershaw Colliery opened in the early 1830s and transported coal via trams to the Leeds and Liverpool Canal for onward distribution. A number of accidents occurred at the colliery, the worst disaster being the death of 19 people when a mine-shaft elevator fell in October 1932. Deemed unprofitable by British Coal, the colliery closed in March 1992.
A sailor is displaying a degree of athleticism climbing out of a dinghy in choppy waters onto the pier at Knott End. A group of passengers are disembarking from the steam ferry from Fleetwood. Although earlier ferries had operated across the River Wyre, steam boats were not brought into service until the late 19th century. In 1894 a steam launch named Nelson used the recently-constructed ferry jetty. The vessel in this photograph named Progress, a boat built locally by John Gibson and capable of carrying 140 passengers.
Taken from a position on the coastal path to Morecambe, this view looked back towards Lower Heysham with the rocks and sand on which day-trippers and holiday-makers would spend hours doing, well, what many people seem to do in such places! As a child I did find rock pools far more interesting than digging sand castles. Labelled Heysham Point, it is more correctly known as Throbshaw Point. It was on the rocks in July 1958 that Edward Bryden, resident of 15 Eardley Road, heard a shout from youths who had capsized a canoe in the choppy waters off Throbshaw Point. In front of alarmed holiday-makers he immediately raced to their assistance. He was helped by Police-Constable John Emmerton and Frank Dodgson, a resident of Bailey Lane. Two of the teenagers were hauled to safety but a third, 16 year-old Stuart Jackson of Morecambe, was swept away by the current and drowned. For saving the lives of the two boys all three Heysham men were presented with awards from the Royal Humane Society.
I cycled over this bridge in 2018, calling into the Cartford Inn, the building seen here on the other side of the bridge. Following the death of his gamekeeper and dairyman, the Squire of Rawcliffe Hall ordered the construction of Cartford Bridge in 1831. This remains a toll crossing, the toll house being on the northern side of the river. We were charged 20p for our bicycles. A local journalist wrote in 1942 that "that fine lashing lass with the fair hair takes my coppers. She is very pleasant to look at, and she always smiles," prose that would land him in trouble if he typed that in the 21st century.
Taken around 1960, this photograph shows the village centre of Heysham with a number of shops, many selling the usual tat associated with the tourist trade.
Here we see five women working as fire fighters at Preston during World War One. It is a studio shot and perhaps used for publicity purposes. Sadly, no names are written on the rear of the photograph. It is well known that the south of England had women's fire brigades during World War One but less is known about the north. It is possible that these women had volunteered for a private fire brigade or one dedicated to a specific manufactory. It was in World War 2 that thousands of women were recruited for the Auxiliary Fire Service. Speaking at Preston in 1916, the Rev. F. E. Hutchinson, vicar of Leyland, said that "the chances of the young women today would be greater than those of the women of all the generations before them. They might have a direct vote the government of the country, and, whether they did or not, their influence would be greater than ever before. Women in the present crisis had set themselves new tasks, and proved themselves fit for them. Although some of the work they had taken up was not specially women's work, and would have pass into other hands, more and more avenues for service were opening out to them, and they were not only proving themselves capable but happy in that service. The part they were playing in national service was too good to dropped after the war, and the love of country which the war had stimulated should be after the war, no less than during the war, a powerful and sacred motive."
Taken from an elevated position in Vickerstown Park, this photograph shows the new bridge connecting Walney Island with the mainland of Barrow-in-Furness. Officially it is the Jubilee Bridge but is widely called Walney Bridge. It would seem that this photograph was taken as last minute work on the overhead tram wires was being completed. The bascule bridge officially opened on July 30th, 1908, and provided a convenient method of crossing the Walney Channel by residents of the model village of Vickerstown. They had previously used the ferry service which had proved inadequate with the large increase in the population stimulated by the Vickers Shipyard. The company helped with the costs of the bridge and was eventually repaid by the use of tolls until 1935. This was the year when the bridge was designated the Jubilee Bridge as it marked the silver jubilee of King George V.
A No.13 Bus to the Pier Head at Liverpool is passing the Empire Theatre on Lime Street. The fleet number of the bus is L810 and the registration plate is MKB 893. The pub behind the bus was the Legs of Man, an attractive pub in its day. The building was demolished at the end of the 20th century. The fondly-remembered Sadie Coventry ran the Legs of Man for almost two decades, from 1962 until her retirement in 1981. She had previously worked in the pub for her father who was the publican from 1948. Built on the site of its predecessor, once known as the New Prince of Wales Theatre and Opera House, the Empire Theatre opened on March 9th 1925. The free Neoclassical-styled frontage is of Portland stone.
A group of men are gathered next to the bus on which they boarded for a day trip to Southport. They have probably done a tour of the town's pubs, had some fish and chips for lunch and wound up at the Crown Inn before setting off for home. How many would make it back without wanting to stop for a wee? An attractive building fronting Coronation Walk, the Crown Inn closed some years ago and the property converted into apartments. Note the art deco elements in the window glass and sign for the lounge bar. The building however is styled more like an arts and craft building of the early 20th century. I am not sure if this was a refronting or rebuild of the old Crown Inn. The was a right scene inside the pub in 1960 during a "going away" party for the licensee. Some derogatory remarks had been made about the catering, particularly by Frank Middleton, a chef by profession. Kenneth Carron, a fairground attendant, got wind of this criticism. Being as it was his mother who had made the sandwiches he was incandescent with rage. He stormed into the pub and head-butted Frank Middleton, cutting his lip and breaking his bottom dentures. Surprisingly, being as Carron had only just been released from borstal for a series of violent incidents, he was only put on probation for three years.
Featuring railings for travellers to tie up their horses, this photograph shows the Old Ship Inn at Rainhill. The house was rebuilt in the 20th century and in more recent times was part of a large chain-operated pub with attached budget hotel. According to local folklore, the inn owes its existence to Bartholomew Bretherton who, along with his brothers, dominated travel between Liverpool and Manchester by running up to fourteen coaches per day from the Saracen's Head in Dale Street at Liverpool. Formerly known as the New Inn during the 18th century, the Ship Inn was the first stage on the route and the Bartholomew family developed change facilities on the land alongside this old tavern. It is said that up to 240 horses could be stabled here and this provided employment for associated trades. In the 20th century the rebuilt Ship Inn was operated by Higson's Brewery of Liverpool.
A fine view of the tram terminus at Horwich outside the Crown Hotel, a landmark public-house of the area. This version of the hostelry has survived into the new millennium. A plaque on the building states that the Crown Hotel "was originally a stagecoach inn with a toll bar on the turnpike road. Rebuilt in 1886 following the opening of the loco works." The Bolton Corporation Tramways route for this tram service was opened in 1900 and lasted until 1946. It was known as the N route and a large letter N can be seen on the front of the tram. This particular tram was No.71 and built at the United Electric Car Company in Preston. At one time there were four taverns on this road junction - in addition to the Crown Hotel there was the King's Arms. Queen's Head and the Toll Bar. The latter survived but in more recent times the name was changed to Beeley's.
A photograph showing Market Street at Darwen with the Angel Inn on the left. The fondly-remembered hostelry has long since been demolished. The sign shows that Richard Rawlinson was the licensee at the time of this photograph. Born in the village of Guide, the former cotton weaver succeeded his father Samuel as mine host. He married Annie Davidson in 1901 and the couple kept the Angel Inn throughout the Edwardian period. The Angel Inn, along with the Black Bull, was referred to the compensation authority in May 1917. The licensee at this time was Sylvester Forrest. At the hearing in June police officials stated that "there were too many licences in the neighbourhood, that other houses were better constructed and had better facilities for police supervision." Consequently, the licence was refused.
This Edwardian photograph shows the Minerva Sawing and Planing Mills at Bolton. The photographer is stood on Chorley Street, near Great Bridge and the junction of St. Helena Road. The building at the extreme right of the photograph is that of the Derby Hotel at No.4 Chorley Street. The livery of Magee Marshall & Company can be seen on the frontage. This brewery was based at the Crown Brewery in Bolton. Kelly's trade directory published in 1905 lists John Pollock as the licensee of this beer house. The public-house and the four cottages have long gone, the site in the 2020s being occupied by the yard of Travis Perkins builder's merchants. The mill complex seen here survived into the 21st century, though only the base of the tall chimney remains. The address of this factory was in Bark Street, the next road on the right further up Chorley Street. At the time of this photograph the business was operated by William Kay who lived at No.5 Chorley New Road.
Built on a site that were the gardens of Ardwick Hall, the Ardwick Empire sat on the corner of Higher Ardwick and Hyde Road. Designed by the theatre architect Frank Matcham, and featuring internal decorations by De Jonge and Company of London, the Ardwick Empire Theatre was erected in 1904 for the Australian-born theatre proprietor and manager Oswald Stoll. This was one of around 170 theatres he designed or refurbished over a forty-year career. Prior to the opening night in July 1904, The Stage stated that the interior "is second to none in Cottonopolis. The auditorium is treated in the Renaissance style, with a large coved ceiling, arched panelling, filled with allegorical figure paintings, representing art, music, dancing etc., relieved with ornamental work." The opening night featured a variety bill topped by Fred Karno and Company. Following a refurbishment in 1935, the theatre became known as the New Manchester Hippodrome. The old Hippodrome had been acquired by Sydney Bernstein and was demolished to make way for a new cinema. The manager, J. Earley, moved from the old Hippo to run the re-branded house fitted with new seats and carpets. The end of the theatre as a venue for live entertainment was in April 1961. Part of the building was converted into a bowling alley but was seriously damaged by a fire in February 1964. The old Empire, just sixty years-old was demolished six months later in August 1964.
A view of Sudell Cross at the end of the Edwardian period. On the large building on the left [Kensington Place[ housed the offices of the Prudential Assurance. On the first floor was the headquarters of the Lancashire Automobile Club which, at this time, had over 400 members and was claimed to be the largest outside London. Arthur Caley was the president of the club at the time of this photograph. In addition to general motoring lobbying, the club organised an annual hill-climbing event, often held at Waddington Fells near Clitheroe. On the first floor of the building the windows feature lettering suggesting that the rooms were occupied by the School of Art, though this institution were seeking to move in 1906. The tailoring firm of Bullough and Son were across the road, along with the premises of the artistic stationer Fred Walmsley who also operated the post-office at Sudell Cross. A policeman is keeping an eye out on the busy thoroughfare.
Armed with their golf clubs and attired in their best togs, this is a group photograph of the committee members of Clitheroe Golf Club in 1921. Founded in 1891, the club moved to Barrow Garden in 1932 so this photograph was taken at the former course at Horrocksford. I do not have details of the 1921 meeting but do have some information of a meeting held two years later. Many of the committee would still be in office during this period. Anyway, in 1923 Miss Barbara Eastham was re-elected as president, a position she held for some years. Mr. H. L. Rishton was to continue as captain whilst Mr. B. E. Jones was to act as club secretary, assisted by Mr. H. Bootham. The role of treasurer was filled by Mr. D. Lister, with W. Kay and J. W. Lambert as auditors. Committee members were Arthur Langshaw, J. H. Satterthwaite and L. C. Thomas. In September 1931 it was announced that Clitheroe Golf Club had secured the services of James Braid, the ex-professional champion, for the laying-out of their new course.
Fluke Hall was formerly known as Lune Bank and the original building is thought to date from the mid-17th century. The hall was rebuilt in the 19th century. The name change coincided with the Golden Wedding Anniversary of the incumbents, Richard and Ellen Gardner. A wealthy wine and spirits merchant, Richard Gardner was elected Mayor of Liverpool in November 1862. The name change came about by the award of a Coat-of-Arms by the Duke of Norfolk. Fluke Hall was sold by the Gardner family to the Elletson family in July 1916. In more recent times the building has been used as a nursing home.
An Edwardian photograph showing a railway platform and kiosk at Clitheroe. Station staff and news vendor stop and pose for the photograph in 1905. The date is ascertained by the news headlines of the day on display. Replacing the original station at Clitheroe, this station was built in 1893-4. In September of the following year  a burglary was committed in which the office was ransacked. The cash drawer and other drawers were broken open, but the burglars found to their dismay that the money had been removed to a safe. Apparently, the burglars had climbed onto the news stand seen here and broken through the large window above. In this photograph the large board behind the station staff is advertising sailing to and from Goole by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway. This advert was next to the entrance to the waiting room.
An apartment block now stands on the site of the Derby Arms, once regarded as a landmark public-house at Halewood. The Liverpool-based Threlfall's Brewery Co. Ltd. applied for permission to rebuild the centuries old Derby Arms in the 'modern' style during the Widnes Sessions held on January 3rd, 1935. Superintendent McCrone had inspected the plans which met his approval and the application went through. Subsequently, the historic pub was replaced by this building before the Second World War. Here a group of boys with bicycles can be seen in front of the Derby Arms. From early cycling days the old tavern was a popular meeting place for cycling clubs such as the Combine Winter Cycling Club. The Liverpool branch of the Cyclists' Touring Club also held their field day in the grounds of the old house.
Many of the buildings in this photograph survived into the 21st century, particularly the parade of shops on the right looking along Northenden Road. The shop in the foreground is on the corner of Hampson Street and was a pharmacy - a business that has remained here for generations. In recent times it was owned by John Hugall Ltd. The shops, along with Hampson Street, was a late 19th century development. The driver and conductor of the tram are posing for the photographer. It was the 49 service to Picadilly in Manchester. Ellen Lamb, a resident of Hampson Street, was sentenced to seven days' imprisonment for using bad language in her own house during the summer of 1908. However, she steadfastly informed the magistrates were exceeding their powers and the sentence was revised to a fine.
The women in this photograph are seemingly making a dash to get across the level crossing at Grimsargh, though there is nobody waiting to heave the gate across the road. The cyclists have whizzed along Long Sight Lane and have passed the Plough Inn which can be seen here on the left. Despite an agricultural inn sign, the Plough Inn enjoyed a little extra trade from the railway. Indeed, in the early years of the single-track Preston and Longridge Railway, the pub acted as the booking office. A dedicated railway station was built in 1870 when the line was run jointly by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway and the London and North Western Railway. A sign on the stone-built Plough Inn is advertising 'home-brewed ales.' In 1900 the publican Ivor Davies advertised the Plough Inn as a cyclist's resort in the Preston Herald, along with promoting the 'prettiest situated bowling green in the district.' Ivor Davies had previously been a tenor in August Van Biene & Horace Lingard's Opera Company. Formerly of the Cemetery Road Hotel, it was Tom Brown who produced the home-brewed ales around the time of this photograph.
This view of Spring Gardens in Manchester was captured from the northern end of the thoroughfare close to the junction of Market Street. The large building in the distance was the General Post Office, a structure described by Nikolaus Pevsner as "a tremendous palazzaccio, like a Ministry building in Rome." Designed by the architect James Williams, the post office was constructed between 1881 and 1887 although part of the building was opened in 1884. This magnificent structure was pulled down in the 1960s. At the time of this photograph the Rainbow Hotel was operated by the Manchester Brewery Co. Ltd., a company based at the Britannia Brewery in Broadie Street at Ardwick. Their MB logo can be seen on the frontage of the building. The thoroughfare was named after the springs which provided a supply of water via a pipe network to the market place.
A view of Heysham village at the end of the Edwardian period with a blacksmith shoeing a horse in the foreground. Trade directories show that there were two blacksmiths in the village - George Jackson and John Charles Steel. The latter was listed at Lower Heysham so is probably the business feature in this photograph. Born at Darley in Nidderdale in 1859, he married the widow Harriet Miller at Morecambe in April 1891. She had three sons, one of whom is possibly helping his step-father in this picture. This is possibly James Miller who, in the census of 1901, is recorded as a blacksmith's stoker. John Steel had learned his trade from his father Joseph who was both farmer and blacksmith. The smithy has disappeared from the townscape of Heysham. It seems that it was attached to the house named Hollybank, though John Steel lived at Woborrow Road and commuted the short distance to his place of work. The buildings on the opposite side of the road have survived, though the unusual fenestration on the corner of Bailey Lane has been removed and infilled.
The road southwards from Overton to Sunderland Point crosses a tidal marsh and is submerged beneath the sea at high tide. Consequently, the old village and port is unique in that it is the only mainland community in the UK dependent upon tidal access. Here you can see two cyclists from back in the day who are waiting for the water to recede.
A view of Lancaster and the Ashton Memorial in Williamson Park on the hill from a position on St. George's Quay. In the 21st century it is not possible to enjoy this view because of the Millennium Bridge and other modern development. St. George's Quay is an important reminder of the town's role as a port associated with the Atlantic trade. The Quay was developed in the mid-18th century on glebe land downstream of the medieval bridge. The latter was demolished in the late 18th century to facilitate the passing of ships into Lancaster's developing port at St. George's Quay. Fragments of the old bridge have been seen when the water is low.
A lovely photograph of the players of Clitheroe Wesley Guild Football Club 1907-8. I do not have much information on the players seen here. However, I did find a report from the 1907-8 season in which the club lost 4 goals to 3 in a home fixture against Mellor. It was reported that "an old Central player appeared in the Mellor team in the person of Singleton, and he gave a sound display in the centre forward position, and was responsible for three of the goals scored by the visitors."
The Church of Saint Peter at Heysham is thought to have been built on the site of an older Saxon chapel. Some of the fabric is claimed to be from the 8th century building. Built with sandstone rubble with a stone slate roof, the chancel dates from the mid-14th century with a south aisle added some two hundred years later. A north aisle was added in 1864. The interior has plenty of interest, notably a Viking hogback stone and a medieval sepulchral slab with a floriated cross and sword.
This photograph shows a military funeral at Clitheroe Roman Catholic cemetery in 1915. I believe the soldier was Private John Fielding of Harrop Street [Army Number 13118] of the 10th Battalion, King's Own Royal Regiment, who died on October 1st 1915 at Whalley Hospital from a chest complaint contracted during training on Salisbury Plain. Born in Rishton, the former cotton weaver was 22 years age and very well known in Clitheroe. Consequently, as can be seen in this image, a large crowd witnessed the procession. His brother was killed earlier in the year at the Dardanelles. He also had another brother serving in the military.
This photograph was taken at the Harvest Festival held by the Salvation Army at Barrow-in-Furness. Mothers and children are seated amid decorations that included a windmill. The festival was probably held in the Citadel built on Abbey Road, a lovely red brick building dressed with stone. Foundation stones for the building were laid on February 5th 1910 by Joseph Bliss, John Docker, Mrs. T. Hull, Henry Rigg and F. J. Crossfield JP. In the following year the building hosted a weekend of harvest thanksgiving services evening, "with a set of tableaux, for which a number of seniors directed by Adjt. McDougall and Capt. Vincent were responsible."
A Pendle a motor-bus is trundling down Castle Street and Market Place at Clitheroe in this inter-war photograph. The White Lion public-house can be seen to the right so the photograph would have been stood in Church Street. Many of the buildings here have survived into the 21st century, though the tall building seen behind the bus, once housing the Conservative Club, was the Brownlow Arms thought to have been known as the White Bull in earlier times. In the 1920s the building was removed for the construction of a branch of the Yorkshire Bank. The site, on the corner of King Lane, is the birthplace of Captain James King, a Royal Navy officer who served under James Cook on his last voyage around the world. Born in Clitheroe in 1750, he attended the local grammar school before joining the Royal Navy at the age of 12.
Owing to land subsidence at Burnley in July 1908 part of the dyeing and dry-cleaning works, operated by Messrs. Greenhaigh and Co. Ltd., collapsed and tumbled into the river Calder. The building was about thirty yards long and two storeys high. Twenty dyeing vats, full of liquor, also went into the water. On inspection in the aftermath, it was found that other parts of the building seemed to have moved. In Calder Vale Road some of the houses showed signs of movement, and some of the paving slabs had sunk. As a result some of the tenants deserted their homes. Luckily, there were no casualties. Apparently, there had been a warning of the disaster because cracks had appeared one or two days prior to the collapse. Although the buildings were insured for fire, they were not covered for such an incident. The estimated damage totalled over £2,000. The borough surveyor, G. H. Pickles, went to the scene and considered that the collapse was due to quicksand which had been known to exist in the area. As a result of the disaster railway traffic over the nearby arches was suspended.
Supplying water to Bolton, Wayoh Reservoir was constructed over a ten year period and completed in April 1876 by the Great and Little Bolton Waterworks Co. In the background is the Armsgrove Viaduct, erected between 1847 and 1848 by the Blackburn, Darwen and Bolton Railway in order to bridge Bradshaw Brook. One of the difficulties faced by the contractors of the viaduct was the transportation of the blocks of dressed stone from Stanworth Delph near Withnell.
This image shows men of Clitheroe Fire Brigade during the 1937 Coronation celebrations. The whole country went bunting and street party crazy on May 12th to celebrate the crowning of King George VI. The brigade had not long ordered a new Leyland FK6 fire engine, fitted with a pump capable of directing 500-700 gallons of water per minute. However, it would appear to my untrained eye that the men are aboard the older engine. In the evening of the celebratory day the brigade would have been in attendance at Pendle Hill where huge piles of brushwood, motor tyres, barrels and discarded oil cloth formed the materials for a beacon fire to mark the coronation. A newspaper reported that "the fire formed an impressive spectacle as it blazed on top of the hill above Wellsprings and lasted for several hours."
A photograph of fishermen resting, smoking pipes and chewing the fat outside a cottage at Sunderland Point. The road to this small community crosses a tidal marsh and is submerged beneath the sea at high tide. Consequently, the old village and port is unique in that it is the only mainland community in the UK dependent upon tidal access. The port was developed by the Quaker Robert Lawson and, prior to the opening of Glasson Dock at Lancaster, Sunderland Point acted as a seaport for slave ships and a key harbour for the cotton trade. The growth of the quay and dock at Lancaster led to the decline of Sunderland Point which, in the 19th century, redefined itself as a tourist destination known at Little Brighton on the Lune.
Dating from around 1912, this is a good photograph of Deansgate at Bolton with the Cinematograph or Electric Theatre on the right-hand side of the image. "A Terrible Night" is advertised on the front of the building. This must have been doing the circuit again as it was first released in 1900 but the Electric Theatre opened for business in August 1910. Ten years later it was re-branded as the Imperial Playhouse. Following a refurbishment in 1939, it became the Embassy Cinema. However, the lifespan of this enterprise was short-lived as it closed in September 1947. The building was subsequently converted into a Littlewood's. The old place was demolished in later years. The ground floor shop with curved windows housed Meeson's confectionary shop. This emporium sold caramels, jellies and chocolates which no doubt went into the pockets of patrons of the cinema for chomping during the matinée. Notice the painted wall advertisement for Magee Marshall & Co., a firm based at the Crown Brewery in nearby Derby Street. This local brewery was bought out by Greenall Whitley & Company in 1959.
An image that captured the Mayor's Procession at Widnes. It is probably from 1908-9 but this was an annual occasion during the early 20th century. I have seen a report of the 1908 event which stated: "A large concourse of people assembled at the Town Hall, Widnes, on Sunday, to witness the Mayor's procession to Hartland Wesleyan Chapel, Irwell-street. At 10.15 a.m. the procession started, headed by the Engineers' Band, followed in rotation by the Lancashire Hussars Yeomanry, under Captain Newcombe, Hale Artillery [Captain Rimmer], Engineers, Major Sayce, Bugle Band, Volunteer Band, Volunteers [Captain Caldwell], the Corporation, police authorities, and prominent members of the town. An eloquent sermon was preached on "Loyalty to God, Obedience to Authority, and Honour to the King," by the Rev. E. G. Charlesworth. He referred to the Mayor's past career and the active part he took in municipal matters, and also the high esteem in which he was held by the public. Reference was made to the excellent work of the ex-Mayor [Alderman S. Owens]. A collection was taken, and the amount realised will be handed to the Nurse's Fund." Samuel Owens hailed from Chester but took an interest in the town's affairs and, on the incorporation of the borough in 1892, he was elected a member for Simm's Cross Ward, a position he held until 1905, when he was elected an alderman for Farnworth ward. In 1906 he was appointed Mayor of Widnes and served for two years. In 1909 he was elected a Justice of the Peace for the county. He was a staunch Liberal and Non-Conformist, and for years was a treasurer of the Widnes Division Liberal Association. He was one of the oldest preachers of the Primitive Methodist Connexion, and took a prominent part in the erection of the Frederick Street Church. Samuel Owens died in 1917.
Ye Olde Man and Scythe on Churchgate at Bolton has been rebuilt, remodelled and refurbished over the years so only a few beams remain of the building erected in the mid-17th century. However, a tavern of this name existed at Bolton in the 13th century. A signboard on the frontage states: "in this ancient hostelry James Stanley, 7th Earl of Derby, passed the last few hours of his life prior to his execution on Wednesday October 16th 1651." The Royalist, also known as Lord Strange, rode with King Charles to Boscobel House where the monarch allegedly hid in a tree. He was later captured and taken to Bolton for his execution for treason. He was subsequently beheaded near this public-house. The signs on the frontage show that Ye Olde Man and Scythe sold homebrewed ales, though the adverts for Halliwell's Ales, a local firm based at the Alexandra Brewery on Mount Street, suggest that brewing on the premises had ceased. The house, however, remained free-of-tie during the Edwardian period when Frank Somerville Hampson, the man possibly featured at the doorway, was running this public-house. Born in Manchester in 1871, he moved to Bolton and married Emma Bamber in July 1895. He would later become a theatre proprietor. Other signs on Ye Olde Man and Scythe show that the house was the district headquarters of the Oldham & District Cyclists' Union. The pub was also licensed for ping-pong!
This player on the terraces of Burnden Park with a ball at his feet is James "Jimmy" Jones. The photograph possibly dates from when the defender signed for Bolton Wanderers in 1920. The Geordie, who had previously played for Blackpool, made 70 league appearances for the Trotters during his two-year spell at the club.
This photograph is marked Winnie Richards at Bolton Market so I assume she was running this greengrocery kiosk for Bailey's who operated a number of outlets in the region. Born in mid-Wales in 1894, Winifred Richards lived at No.55 Moorfield Grove in Tonge. She moved further north after living and working in Liverpool for some years. Working in such an environment she may have had her five-a-day as she lived to a ripe old age. The fruit retailer died in Bolton during 1982. It certainly looks like Winnie Richards kept a tidy shop. A sign states that she is taking orders for flowers. Another sign conveys the healthy vitamins of tomatoes. A Bolton telephone number of 2780 can be seen on the crates.
This inter-war photograph of the Bourne Arms Hotel at Knott End-on-Sea shows the hostelry during its halcyon years when it was a popular destination pub that benefited greatly from the early tourist trade. Each year thousands of people came across the ferry from Fleetwood for a day trip on The Fylde. As the Bourne Arms Hotel was the only public-house in Knott End-on-Sea it enjoyed a captive audience. The hotel had a large bowling green and offered luncheons, afternoon teas with, of course, beers from Bolton courtesy of Magee Marshall & Company Ltd. who operated the hotel at this time. Click here for more information on the Bourne Arms Hotel.
Two modes of transport are bringing patrons to the Ellotson Arms Hotel at Stake Pool near Pilling, a hostelry that was a very popular destination pub in the early 20th century. On the side of the building the name of Ireton's can be seen. It was Roger and Ruth Ireton who changed the name of the Gardner's Arms to doff their cap to the family who owned the manor. They elevated the status of the hotel, catering for every type of customer. Here one can see the restaurant added to the side of the property in which luncheons, dinners and teas could be partaken. A sign for the Cyclists' Touring Club shows that they also catered for the two-wheeled trade. The vehicle outside the building here looks to be an early steam-powered charabanc and most probably driven out from Knott End. Note also the bowling green to the rear of the building. A pub for all seasons! Click here for more information on the Elletson Arms.
A photograph of the shop run by J. Stephenson in Blackburn, a shoe, boot and clog maker who, according to the notices, used only the best English leather. He is stood on the doorstep with an apprentice perhaps? A sample of the leather is hung outside for potential buyers to check on the quality of the hide. The window display features a range of the shoes made on the premises. A sign above the entrance informs customers that the shop is closed at 13.00hrs on Thursdays. A trade directory published in 1924 lists John Stephenson at 27 & 35 Ordnance Street in Blackburn. He was living in the same street in 1911 when the census enumerator recorded him as a boot, clog and shoe maker - correlating with the lettering on this shop window. Born in 1890 at Oswaldtwistle, he and his wife Ethel were still living in Ordnance Street during the Second World War.
Some members of Swinton Tennis Club gathered on the steps for this photograph taken around 1934. They are smartly-dressed and are sporting Oxford two-tone brogues. One of the group is playing a ukulele which is bringing a smile to their faces. The steps may be part of Swinton Old Hall which formed part of Victoria Park. The grounds were noted for tennis courts and bowling greens.