Photographs, Negatives, Slides and Plates of Middlesex

Home

Click or tap here

Shepperton : Church of Saint Nicholas and King's Head [c.1908]

A lovely photograph of Shepperton, once part of Middlesex but later incorporated into Surrey. The view provides a view of three key buildings - the church, the King's Head and the Post Office [the latter being next door to the pub and with a postman posing for the camera]. Indeed, many of the locals are out for the cameraman, some with bicycles and horse and trap. The image was captured between 1908-10 as the name on the pub's inn sign is H. G. Toome. Trade directories record Henry George Toome as the licensee in 1908 but not in 1910 when Edwin James Barratt had taken over. Some other publicans include William Marsh [1890], Ambrose Willis [1894], Andrew Henry Young [1899], George Wright [1902], Thomas Barwell [1906] and Malcolm Rafferty [1912].

Click or tap here

Click or tap here

Click or tap here

Click or tap here for more information