Photographs, Negatives, Slides and Plates of Pubs and Inns
Ye Olde Man and Scythe on Churchgate at Bolton has been rebuilt, remodelled and refurbished over the years so only a few beams remain of the building erected in the mid-17th century. However, a tavern of this name existed at Bolton in the 13th century. A signboard on the frontage states: "in this ancient hostelry James Stanley, 7th Earl of Derby, passed the last few hours of his life prior to his execution on Wednesday October 16th 1651." The Royalist, also known as Lord Strange, rode with King Charles to Boscobel House where the monarch allegedly hid in a tree. He was later captured and taken to Bolton for his execution for treason. He was subsequently beheaded near this public-house. The signs on the frontage show that Ye Olde Man and Scythe sold homebrewed ales, though the adverts for Halliwell's Ales, a local firm based at the Alexandra Brewery on Mount Street, suggest that brewing on the premises had ceased. The house, however, remained free-of-tie during the Edwardian period when Frank Somerville Hampson, the man possibly featured at the doorway, was running this public-house. Born in Manchester in 1871, he moved to Bolton and married Emma Bamber in July 1895. He would later become a theatre proprietor. Other signs on Ye Olde Man and Scythe show that the house was the district headquarters of the Oldham & District Cyclists' Union. The pub was also licensed for ping-pong!
This photograph of the Washford Arms on Attercliffe Road at Sheffield was taken from the junction of Washford Road on the opposite side of the road. After the pub close around the 1970s the premises were occupied by a fish and chip shop. In the 21st century the former beer house was being used by Goldseal Windows. By this time the upper floor had gone - the building once had a third floor. The tavern was located close to the Washford Bridge spanning the River Don and was opposite the Bridge Inn. At the time of this early Edwardian photograph the Washford Arms was kept by Robert and Hannah Bunting. Robert Bunting was born at Belper in Derbyshire but his wife hailed from Rotherham. After the couple married in 1866 they moved to Stapleford in Nottinghamshire where Robert Bunting was appointed master of the railway station. After a spell at Swinton, Robert Bunting was appointed station master at Whitwick near Coalville in Leicestershire. He and Hannah were running the Washford Arms by 1891. The pub can be seen here in the livery of Mappin's Brewery Ltd. of Rotherham. Hannah Bunting died in 1911 and, following the publican's retirement to 34 Crofton Avenue, his son Clement took over the licence. The former station master and publican died two days before Christmas Day in 1918. Clement Bunting would later run the Park Hotel at Hillsborough.
Albert Bellinger was the licensee of the Stag Inn at Woodhouse when this photograph was taken around 1914. The Hampshire-born Company Sergeant Major of Gymnastic Staff kept the pub with his Glasgow-born wife Margaret. Towards the end of the First World War he served with the Royal Air Force, during which time Margaret Bellinger became the licensee. On his discharge the licence was transferred back to Albert in October 1919. The couple remained at the Stag Inn until 1923 when, in January of that year, the licence was transferred to Percival Charles Stacey. The Bellinger's moved to the Upperthorpe Hotel. The Stag Inn, as seen here, was designed by the architectural firm of Gibbs, Flockton & Teather and built by John Middleton for Trusswell's Brewery Co. Ltd., of Eyre Street in Sheffield. The etched-glass windows reveal that the bar was to the left of the building, the smoke room on the opposite side and a club room on the first floor.
Things do not look quite so rural at this public-house in the 21st century. Fronting the Chesterfield Road the building is surrounded by development of Norton Woodseats, a few kilometres from the centre of Sheffield. This mid-Edwardian photograph shows the old hostelry that would later be rebuilt. Indeed, the former name also vanished in the mid-1930s when the Masons' Arms became the Big Tree. The name refers to the lovely old tree seen here. However, it is said that this was uprooted by an elephant belonging to a touring circus. The animal had apparently been tethered to the tree. The replacement tree was also lost after strong winds damaged what was a diseased specimen. Another tree now stands outside the Greene King-operated hostelry. This old tavern was recorded as the Freemasons' Arms in 1825 when James Frith was the licensee. The name was shortened by the 1840s. The faded name of Joseph Ibbotson can be seen on the sign above the door. This publican had kept the house in the late 1870s and 1880s. At the time of this photograph, the Masons' Arms was kept by the Irish-born widow Mary Twivey.
This Edwardian photograph shows Maghull Hall Bridge, a swing-bridge on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal. There were two public-houses close to the bridge - the Travellers' Rest and this building, an old beer house called the Horse and Jockey. At the time of this photograph the licence was held by Esther Marshall. Her husband William was the steam engine driver for the bridge. This section of the canal was completed by 1774 and facilitated new industry in the area, notably quarrying of sandstone. The name of this beer house celebrated horse racing which took place at Maghull in the early 19th century. Old Racecourse Farm was further along Hall Lane. Maghull is also close to Aintree, home of the Grand National steeplechase.
A photograph dating from around 1913 showing the Cock and Trumpet at Halebank, then part of Lancashire. The name above the front door is that of Fred Thomlinson so I assume that is the publican stood by the doorway, along with his wife Elizabeth. Married in 1909, the couple farmed some land in addition to running the Cock and Trumpet. Fred Thomlinson was born here in November 1870, his parents James and Hannah Thomlinson were running the tavern. Frederick died at a relatively young age in July 1919. Elizabeth was still at the pub as a widow when she died at the age of 48 in 1922. The Cock and Trumpet was rebuilt in the 20th century but even that building has gone with the site being redeveloped for housing. Burtonwood Brewery Co. [Forshaw] Ltd., owners of the property during the inter-war years, submitted plans for the rebuilding of the property in September 1939. However, I would have thought such work would be put on hold following the outbreak of war. The old tavern was a popular destination pub for those living in the Widnes area. A new bowling green was opening in 1913 and proved very popular with regulars and visitors. Elizabeth Thomlinson used to provide knife and fork teas for those using the bowling green.
A photograph of the Pack Horse Inn at Bridlington that was taken in 1914. The licensee at the time was William Botham Potter. His name can be seen above the yard entrance. He ended up in the courts in 1924 for alleged desertion of his wife Margaret. He later lived in lodgings at a house run by Mary Ferguson. She took him to court in 1929 for money she alleged she had lent him for the payment of expenses in his divorce proceedings. In the following year William Potter married again to Lily Acklam. The former publican who had dabbled at being a Mineral Water Manufacturer died in 1937. There are some stocks outside the Pack Horse Inn nowadays but these are replicas of the stocks and pillory that once stood in the Market Place, opposite the Corn Exchange. After re-opening in November 2015 following a closure, the Pack Horse Inn became an exclusive outlet for the Bridlington Brewery. Here however, one can see the pub being operated by the Hull Brewery Company Limited. Although much work has been done to the building in subsequent years, the building dates back to the 18th century. However, it is said to have replaced an older thatched house.
A horse-drawn charabanc is parked up outside the New Bridge Inn at Newhaven around 1900. There appears to be two groups posing for the photographer - the smartly-dressed men are probably about to clamber into the charabanc which has a sun canopy. The rest of the men are in their working clobber and probably taking a break from supping ale to pose for the photograph. At the time of this photograph the pub was kept by the Richardson family and operated by Tamplin & Sons Limited, a company based at the Phoenix Brewery at Waterloo Street in Brighton.
The Masons' Arms remains a popular destination pub in the 21st century. Outdoor seating now dominates the front of the building. The historic tavern nestles on the steep climb up Fell Foot Brow, a lane that heads to the southern end of Lake Windermere from Bowland Bridge, the latter being just across the county border delineated by the River Winster. Trade at the inn was largely from those travelling up the zigzag, part of an old packhorse route from Kendal to the Furness area which was upgraded to a Turnpike in 1763. This is possibly the period when the tavern came into existence. The photographer was stood on Smithy Lane. The track to the right of the tavern led to Hollins Wood and onwards to Great Hartbarrow. Here a couple of traps are parked outside whilst the passengers are enjoying refreshments and perhaps a lunch at the Masons' Arms. The name above the door is that of John James Matthews. He succeeded his parents, Robert and Alverella, who had kept the Masons' Arms for many years during the Victorian era. Indeed, the Masons' Arms was his life - born in 1870, he had grown up in the pub, run it with his wife Elizabeth and was still publican during the Second World War. The publican, who had lived through such historic times, died in June 1947. When I visited this pub it was run by Helen Walsh. Indeed, I believe she and her husband kept the Masons' Arms for around 23 years before selling in 2002. The couple had for many years produced their own fruit-laced beers and spirits.
The Waggon and Horses on Halifax Road at Smallbridge near Rochdale is a pub no more, the building being converted into a shop and off-licence. The red brick building with stone dressings stands on the corner of Ashbrook Hey Lane. The buildings on the opposite corner, including the shop, have vanished. The building housing a small grocery store to the left of this photograph has survived. In the 1920s the shop was kept by Mary Belfield whilst next door at the pub the licensee was George Schofield. This images dates from the early 1950s when the Waggon and Horses was operated by the Cornbrook Brewery Co. Ltd. The house appears to be a late Victorian or early Edwardian rebuild. The older Waggon and Horses is mentioned in January 1847 when a serious assault took place in the house. It was reported in the Manchester newspapers that George Townend, a coal proprietor and farmer, was making a bargain for a dozen knives with a hawker at the Waggon and Horses, when Hugh Neil, an itinerant Irish tinker, entered the house, and began to interfere, upon which he was told several times to mind his own business. Neil immediately took a soldering-iron out of his budget, and struck George Townend a violent blow over the left cheek bone, felling him, senseless and bleeding, to the ground. Mr. Sellers, a surgeon, was sent for and he described the wound as a very severe one. He told the Rochdale magistrates that had it been nearer to the temple it might have caused instant death. Superintendent Fowler stated that in July last Hugh Neil committed a similar offence upon his wife, who never dared to live with him since. He said he had been in the army, and when he got too much drink his head was not right. The magistrates committed him for trial at the Liverpool assizes where he was jailed for 12 months.
An early Edwardian photograph of the Crown Inn on the corner of Meadowhall Road and Station Lane at Brightside in Sheffield. James Levers was the licensee at the time of this photograph. The Rotherham-born publican kept the tavern with his wife Emma. The couple later kept the Banner Cross Hotel on Ecclesall Road. A member of the Sheffield and Rotherham Licensed Victuallers' Association, he was also licensee of the Wellington Inn at Brightside for some years. Following the First World War, he and Emma operated a tobacconist's shop on Ecclesall Road. In the 19th century the Crown Inn was quite a sporting pub with an angling club meeting at the house. There were also a number of pigeon-shooting matches staged here. The window lettering shows that the corner of the house was a dram shop and the smoking room to the right. I suspect that the little girl in the doorway is either Lilian or Doris, a young daughter of James and Emma Levers.
This Edwardian photograph of the Buck Inn at Chop Gate stands on the road from Helmsley to Stokesley, a historic route of great beauty in the old North Riding. The building was mentioned in a survey of 1781/2, though it was recorded as Baker's Coffie House. Indeed, John Baker was the occupant who also farmed 10 acres of land. It had become a licensed tavern in the early 19th century. The Buck Inn was home to the Johnson family throughout the Victorian era. In the late 19th century the licensee was Garbutt Johnson who had learned the trade at the nearby Tiger Inn. He was a member of the Bilsdale Foxhounds who held their annual dinner at the Buck Inn. Following his death, widow Hannah Johnson took over as licensee. Her name can be seen above the door in this photograph. Her son, also named Garbutt, would later become the publican. He was also Secretary of the Bilsdale Hunt, a body that claimed to be the oldest pack of foxhounds in the country, since the second Duke of Buckingham hunted the fox in the Dales of Yorkshire with Charles II.
An apartment block now stands on the site of the Derby Arms, once regarded as a landmark public-house at Halewood. The Liverpool-based Threlfall's Brewery Co. Ltd. applied for permission to rebuild the centuries old Derby Arms in the 'modern' style during the Widnes Sessions held on January 3rd, 1935. Superintendent McCrone had inspected the plans which met his approval and the application went through. Subsequently, the historic pub was replaced by this building before the Second World War. Here a group of boys with bicycles can be seen in front of the Derby Arms. From early cycling days the old tavern was a popular meeting place for cycling clubs such as the Combine Winter Cycling Club. The Liverpool branch of the Cyclists' Touring Club also held their field day in the grounds of the old house.
Historically, the Railway Bell at Penge was part of Kent but later formed part of South London. The building was not a million miles away from the Crystal Palace. An industrial unit stands of the site of the public-house which was demolished sometime in the mid-late 1970s. However, the inn sign post survived into the 21st century. The Railway Bell was a fine-looking hostelry that, at the time of this photograph, was operated by Ind Coope & Allsopp Ltd. The apartment block to the rear, which I assume is Blakewood Court, is still under construction which may help a local expert date this photograph more accurately. The railway line was between the two sites and is the reason for the pub's name. Penge railway station, a short distance from the pub on Oakfield Road, was opened by the London and Croydon Railway in 1839. This was a different station to that opened in 1863 by the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway.
This Edwardian photograph of the Unicorn Inn at Cronton was taken from across the road, close to the old village stocks where miscreants were once humiliated or pelted with rotten vegetables. Here, two of the old locals are amusing themselves by sitting on the bench with their legs through the holes. The stocks have been moved to a park nearby. There is a stone on the front of the Unicorn Inn bearing the date of 1752. The Houghton family kept the Unicorn Inn during the late Victorian period and into the 20th century. The name of James Houghton can be seen on the sign. He was a popular figure in the locality. In addition to publican, he was churchwarden, clerk to the Bola Parish Council, clerk to the Ditton Parish Council, overseer for Cronton, and clerk to the Cronton Parish Council. The Unicorn was featured in the Liverpool Echo in June 1990 when the licensee was fined for several hygiene offences. Elizabeth Colinson had gone to the pub for a meal and ordered a steak and mushroom pie but when she tucked into her meal she squealed in horror when she found a dead mouse inside her pie.
The couple stood outside the front entrance of the White Bear Inn at Ecclesfield probably commissioned this photograph and took centre stage. A few other locals made a determined effort to photobomb the image. The couple could be Frederick and Mary Gunson who kept the White Bear Inn throughout the Edwardian period. A former policeman, Frederick Gunson probably kept an orderly house. He married Mary Dent in 1893; both of them hailed from Lincolnshire but his service in the West Riding Constabulary brought them to Ecclesfield. By 1911 they had left the licensed trade and were running a fish and chip shop on Northfield Road at Crookes. The former White Bear Inn dated back to the late 18th century, the smaller building set further back at Stocks Hill. It was a Tetley's house when it closed down in 2005. The building has since been converted into the Ecclesfield Business Centre.
This view of Spring Gardens in Manchester was captured from the northern end of the thoroughfare close to the junction of Market Street. The large building in the distance was the General Post Office, a structure described by Nikolaus Pevsner as "a tremendous palazzaccio, like a Ministry building in Rome." Designed by the architect James Williams, the post office was constructed between 1881 and 1887 although part of the building was opened in 1884. This magnificent structure was pulled down in the 1960s. At the time of this photograph the Rainbow Hotel was operated by the Manchester Brewery Co. Ltd., a company based at the Britannia Brewery in Broadie Street at Ardwick. Their MB logo can be seen on the frontage of the building. The thoroughfare was named after the springs which provided a supply of water via a pipe network to the market place.
The women in this photograph are seemingly making a dash to get across the level crossing at Grimsargh, though there is nobody waiting to heave the gate across the road. The cyclists have whizzed along Long Sight Lane and have passed the Plough Inn which can be seen here on the left. Despite an agricultural inn sign, the Plough Inn enjoyed a little extra trade from the railway. Indeed, in the early years of the single-track Preston and Longridge Railway, the pub acted as the booking office. A dedicated railway station was built in 1870 when the line was run jointly by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway and the London and North Western Railway. A sign on the stone-built Plough Inn is advertising 'home-brewed ales.' In 1900 the publican Ivor Davies advertised the Plough Inn as a cyclist's resort in the Preston Herald, along with promoting the 'prettiest situated bowling green in the district.' Ivor Davies had previously been a tenor in August Van Biene & Horace Lingard's Opera Company. Formerly of the Cemetery Road Hotel, it was Tom Brown who produced the home-brewed ales around the time of this photograph.