Photographs, Negatives, Slides and Plates of Pubs and Inns
This photograph of the Washford Arms on Attercliffe Road at Sheffield was taken from the junction of Washford Road on the opposite side of the road. After the pub close around the 1970s the premises were occupied by a fish and chip shop. In the 21st century the former beer house was being used by Goldseal Windows. By this time the upper floor had gone - the building once had a third floor. The tavern was located close to the Washford Bridge spanning the River Don and was opposite the Bridge Inn. At the time of this early Edwardian photograph the Washford Arms was kept by Robert and Hannah Bunting. Robert Bunting was born at Belper in Derbyshire but his wife hailed from Rotherham. After the couple married in 1866 they moved to Stapleford in Nottinghamshire where Robert Bunting was appointed master of the railway station. After a spell at Swinton, Robert Bunting was appointed station master at Whitwick near Coalville in Leicestershire. He and Hannah were running the Washford Arms by 1891. The pub can be seen here in the livery of Mappin's Brewery Ltd. of Rotherham. Hannah Bunting died in 1911 and, following the publican's retirement to 34 Crofton Avenue, his son Clement took over the licence. The former station master and publican died two days before Christmas Day in 1918. Clement Bunting would later run the Park Hotel at Hillsborough.
Albert Bellinger was the licensee of the Stag Inn at Woodhouse when this photograph was taken around 1914. The Hampshire-born Company Sergeant Major of Gymnastic Staff kept the pub with his Glasgow-born wife Margaret. Towards the end of the First World War he served with the Royal Air Force, during which time Margaret Bellinger became the licensee. On his discharge the licence was transferred back to Albert in October 1919. The couple remained at the Stag Inn until 1923 when, in January of that year, the licence was transferred to Percival Charles Stacey. The Bellinger's moved to the Upperthorpe Hotel. The Stag Inn, as seen here, was designed by the architectural firm of Gibbs, Flockton & Teather and built by John Middleton for Trusswell's Brewery Co. Ltd., of Eyre Street in Sheffield. The etched-glass windows reveal that the bar was to the left of the building, the smoke room on the opposite side and a club room on the first floor.
Things do not look quite so rural at this public-house in the 21st century. Fronting the Chesterfield Road the building is surrounded by development of Norton Woodseats, a few kilometres from the centre of Sheffield. This mid-Edwardian photograph shows the old hostelry that would later be rebuilt. Indeed, the former name also vanished in the mid-1930s when the Masons' Arms became the Big Tree. The name refers to the lovely old tree seen here. However, it is said that this was uprooted by an elephant belonging to a touring circus. The animal had apparently been tethered to the tree. The replacement tree was also lost after strong winds damaged what was a diseased specimen. Another tree now stands outside the Greene King-operated hostelry. This old tavern was recorded as the Freemasons' Arms in 1825 when James Frith was the licensee. The name was shortened by the 1840s. The faded name of Joseph Ibbotson can be seen on the sign above the door. This publican had kept the house in the late 1870s and 1880s. At the time of this photograph, the Masons' Arms was kept by the Irish-born widow Mary Twivey.
This Edwardian photograph shows Maghull Hall Bridge, a swing-bridge on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal. There were two public-houses close to the bridge - the Travellers' Rest and this building, an old beer house called the Horse and Jockey. At the time of this photograph the licence was held by Esther Marshall. Her husband William was the steam engine driver for the bridge. This section of the canal was completed by 1774 and facilitated new industry in the area, notably quarrying of sandstone. The name of this beer house celebrated horse racing which took place at Maghull in the early 19th century. Old Racecourse Farm was further along Hall Lane. Maghull is also close to Aintree, home of the Grand National steeplechase.
A photograph of the Pack Horse Inn at Bridlington that was taken in 1914. The licensee at the time was William Botham Potter. His name can be seen above the yard entrance. He ended up in the courts in 1924 for alleged desertion of his wife Margaret. He later lived in lodgings at a house run by Mary Ferguson. She took him to court in 1929 for money she alleged she had lent him for the payment of expenses in his divorce proceedings. In the following year William Potter married again to Lily Acklam. The former publican who had dabbled at being a Mineral Water Manufacturer died in 1937. There are some stocks outside the Pack Horse Inn nowadays but these are replicas of the stocks and pillory that once stood in the Market Place, opposite the Corn Exchange. After re-opening in November 2015 following a closure, the Pack Horse Inn became an exclusive outlet for the Bridlington Brewery. Here however, one can see the pub being operated by the Hull Brewery Company Limited. Although much work has been done to the building in subsequent years, the building dates back to the 18th century. However, it is said to have replaced an older thatched house.
A horse-drawn charabanc is parked up outside the New Bridge Inn at Newhaven around 1900. There appears to be two groups posing for the photographer - the smartly-dressed men are probably about to clamber into the charabanc which has a sun canopy. The rest of the men are in their working clobber and probably taking a break from supping ale to pose for the photograph. At the time of this photograph the pub was kept by the Richardson family and operated by Tamplin & Sons Limited, a company based at the Phoenix Brewery at Waterloo Street in Brighton.
The Masons' Arms remains a popular destination pub in the 21st century. Outdoor seating now dominates the front of the building. The historic tavern nestles on the steep climb up Fell Foot Brow, a lane that heads to the southern end of Lake Windermere from Bowland Bridge, the latter being just across the county border delineated by the River Winster. Trade at the inn was largely from those travelling up the zigzag, part of an old packhorse route from Kendal to the Furness area which was upgraded to a Turnpike in 1763. This is possibly the period when the tavern came into existence. The photographer was stood on Smithy Lane. The track to the right of the tavern led to Hollins Wood and onwards to Great Hartbarrow. Here a couple of traps are parked outside whilst the passengers are enjoying refreshments and perhaps a lunch at the Masons' Arms. The name above the door is that of John James Matthews. He succeeded his parents, Robert and Alverella, who had kept the Masons' Arms for many years during the Victorian era. Indeed, the Masons' Arms was his life - born in 1870, he had grown up in the pub, run it with his wife Elizabeth and was still publican during the Second World War. The publican, who had lived through such historic times, died in June 1947. When I visited this pub it was run by Helen Walsh. Indeed, I believe she and her husband kept the Masons' Arms for around 23 years before selling in 2002. The couple had for many years produced their own fruit-laced beers and spirits.
An early Edwardian photograph of the Crown Inn on the corner of Meadowhall Road and Station Lane at Brightside in Sheffield. James Levers was the licensee at the time of this photograph. The Rotherham-born publican kept the tavern with his wife Emma. The couple later kept the Banner Cross Hotel on Ecclesall Road. A member of the Sheffield and Rotherham Licensed Victuallers' Association, he was also licensee of the Wellington Inn at Brightside for some years. Following the First World War, he and Emma operated a tobacconist's shop on Ecclesall Road. In the 19th century the Crown Inn was quite a sporting pub with an angling club meeting at the house. There were also a number of pigeon-shooting matches staged here. The window lettering shows that the corner of the house was a dram shop and the smoking room to the right. I suspect that the little girl in the doorway is either Lilian or Doris, a young daughter of James and Emma Levers.
This Edwardian photograph of the Buck Inn at Chop Gate stands on the road from Helmsley to Stokesley, a historic route of great beauty in the old North Riding. The building was mentioned in a survey of 1781/2, though it was recorded as Baker's Coffie House. Indeed, John Baker was the occupant who also farmed 10 acres of land. It had become a licensed tavern in the early 19th century. The Buck Inn was home to the Johnson family throughout the Victorian era. In the late 19th century the licensee was Garbutt Johnson who had learned the trade at the nearby Tiger Inn. He was a member of the Bilsdale Foxhounds who held their annual dinner at the Buck Inn. Following his death, widow Hannah Johnson took over as licensee. Her name can be seen above the door in this photograph. Her son, also named Garbutt, would later become the publican. He was also Secretary of the Bilsdale Hunt, a body that claimed to be the oldest pack of foxhounds in the country, since the second Duke of Buckingham hunted the fox in the Dales of Yorkshire with Charles II.
An apartment block now stands on the site of the Derby Arms, once regarded as a landmark public-house at Halewood. The Liverpool-based Threlfall's Brewery Co. Ltd. applied for permission to rebuild the centuries old Derby Arms in the 'modern' style during the Widnes Sessions held on January 3rd, 1935. Superintendent McCrone had inspected the plans which met his approval and the application went through. Subsequently, the historic pub was replaced by this building before the Second World War. Here a group of boys with bicycles can be seen in front of the Derby Arms. From early cycling days the old tavern was a popular meeting place for cycling clubs such as the Combine Winter Cycling Club. The Liverpool branch of the Cyclists' Touring Club also held their field day in the grounds of the old house.
The couple stood outside the front entrance of the White Bear Inn at Ecclesfield probably commissioned this photograph and took centre stage. A few other locals made a determined effort to photobomb the image. The couple could be Frederick and Mary Gunson who kept the White Bear Inn throughout the Edwardian period. A former policeman, Frederick Gunson probably kept an orderly house. He married Mary Dent in 1893; both of them hailed from Lincolnshire but his service in the West Riding Constabulary brought them to Ecclesfield. By 1911 they had left the licensed trade and were running a fish and chip shop on Northfield Road at Crookes. The former White Bear Inn dated back to the late 18th century, the smaller building set further back at Stocks Hill. It was a Tetley's house when it closed down in 2005. The building has since been converted into the Ecclesfield Business Centre.
This view of Spring Gardens in Manchester was captured from the northern end of the thoroughfare close to the junction of Market Street. The large building in the distance was the General Post Office, a structure described by Nikolaus Pevsner as "a tremendous palazzaccio, like a Ministry building in Rome." Designed by the architect James Williams, the post office was constructed between 1881 and 1887 although part of the building was opened in 1884. This magnificent structure was pulled down in the 1960s. At the time of this photograph the Rainbow Hotel was operated by the Manchester Brewery Co. Ltd., a company based at the Britannia Brewery in Broadie Street at Ardwick. Their MB logo can be seen on the frontage of the building. The thoroughfare was named after the springs which provided a supply of water via a pipe network to the market place.
The women in this photograph are seemingly making a dash to get across the level crossing at Grimsargh, though there is nobody waiting to heave the gate across the road. The cyclists have whizzed along Long Sight Lane and have passed the Plough Inn which can be seen here on the left. Despite an agricultural inn sign, the Plough Inn enjoyed a little extra trade from the railway. Indeed, in the early years of the single-track Preston and Longridge Railway, the pub acted as the booking office. A dedicated railway station was built in 1870 when the line was run jointly by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway and the London and North Western Railway. A sign on the stone-built Plough Inn is advertising 'home-brewed ales.' In 1900 the publican Ivor Davies advertised the Plough Inn as a cyclist's resort in the Preston Herald, along with promoting the 'prettiest situated bowling green in the district.' Ivor Davies had previously been a tenor in August Van Biene & Horace Lingard's Opera Company. Formerly of the Cemetery Road Hotel, it was Tom Brown who produced the home-brewed ales around the time of this photograph.