Some history on Oswestry in the County of Shropshire


Click or tap here

Oswestry Pubs

More information on Oswestry to follow. I probably created the page as I had a link to Oswestry from another page. When building the site it is easier to place links as they crop up rather than go back later on. I realise this is frustrating if you were specifically looking for information on Oswestry. There is information on Shropshire dotted around the website - click here for a suitable starting place. In the meantime, I have posted a couple of photographs.

Click or tap here

Oswestry : Church of Saint Oswald [c.1936]

Oswestry : The Old Lych Gate [c.1930]

Oswestry : Church Street [c.1928]

Oswestry : Church Street Shops [c.1910]

Oswestry : Bailey Head and Guildhall [c.1905]

Oswestry : The Cross [c.1908]

Oswestry : Cross Street [c.1910]

Oswestry : Llwyd Mansion [c.1937]

Oswestry : Salop Road with Bear Hotel [c.1912]

Oswestry : Market in Bailey Head [c.1928]

Oswestry : Victoria Rooms [c.1910]

Oswestry : Cattle Market [c.1928]

Oswestry : Girl Guides [c.1924]

Oswestry : Merry Mascots and Orchestra [c.1912]

Click or tap here

Oswestry : Church of Saint Oswald [2017]

Oswestry : Chancel of the Church of Saint Oswald [2017]

Oswestry : Site of New Gate in Church Street [2017]

Oswestry : Park Issa on Salop Road [2017]

Oswestry : Trinity Terrace on Salop Road [2017]

Oswestry : Holy Trinity Church [2017]

Oswestry : Victoria Works [2005]

Oswestry : Former English Presbyterian Church [2017]

Oswestry : Horeb Welsh Wesleyan Methodist Chapel [2005]

Oswestry : Former High School on Church Street [2004]

Oswestry : Liar Liar at No.2 Albion Hill [2017]

Oswestry : Railway Signal Box [2017]

Oswestry : Great Expectations Railway Mural [2017]

Oswestry : Methodist Church on Chapel Street [2005]

Oswestry : Art Deco Window at Shlurp! on Church Street [2017]

Oswestry : Plas Wilmot : Birthplace of Wilfred Owen [2017]

Click or tap here

Oswestry : Inn Sign of the Blanc Minster Wine Bar [1992]

Oswestry in Pigot's Directory 1835

Oswestry, a market-town, borough and parish, in the hundred to which it gives name, is 178 miles from London, 18 from Shrewsbury and Wem, 20 from Whitchurch, and 8 from Ellesmere, situated upon the main road from London to Holyhead. The town stands upon higher ground than any other in Shropshire, and the country around is delightfully varied with hills, vales, wood and water, and exhibits some very rich and picturesque scenery. Oswestry is a town of great antiquity, and its present appellation, which is a corruption of Oswaldstree, was derived from the name of St. Oswald, King of Northumberland, who was defeated and slain here, by Penda, King of Mercia. Subsequently, when the great Offa constructed the barrier, still known by his name, Oswestry stood between it and Watt's-dyke, which ran parallel to the former at the distance of two miles. It was thus rendered a border town, and hence was frequently the scene of contest, first between the Saxons and the Britons, and afterwards between the latter and the Normans. In 1212 King John burnt both the town and castle, which were then in the possession of the Fitzalans, and plundered a part of Wales on account of the refusal of Llewellin to join his standard, in opposition to Louis, the dauphin of France, who had been invited to England by the rebellious barons. Oswestry was likewise destroyed by the Welsh prince, called Llewellin the Great, in 1233. During this period it was encircled by a strong wall, which had four gates, fronting the four cardinal points. Some traces of the wall still remain, but the gates were entirely demolished about the year 1769. Of the castle, which stood on a high artificial mount, at the west side of the town, only a few fragments now exist; these, however, are sufficient to indicate its former prodigious strength and consequent importance as a place of defence. The town is governed by a mayor, recorder, high-steward, town clerk, murenger, coroner and other inferior officers. The body corporate consists of the mayor, twelve aldermen, and fifteen common council-men, who elect the mayor, recorder and murenger; but the high-steward and town clerk are nominated by the lord of the manor, and the office of coroner is always held by the chief magistrate of the preceding year. The petty sessions for the hundred are held here, besides the courts connected with the borough. The church is a very ancient and spacious building, with a plain, well proportioned tower at one end; the living is a vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Salwey, and in the gift of Viscount Clive, who is lord of the manor, and holds courts leets and baron annually, on the Friday after the feast of St. Michael. There are four meeting-houses for dissenters, besides one for Welsh methodists, two national schools, and a free grammar school. Oswestry has been much improved within the last few years, in consequence of an act obtained in 1810, for widening, paving and lighting the streets, and by the spirit of building which has resulted from that measure. The principal trade of the town is malting, which is very extensive; there is also a respectable hat manufactory of Mr. Roberts; and there are abundance of coals in the vicinity of the town. Upon the little river Mordu is a manufactory of flannel; and Messrs. Croxon & Evans, of the town, trade very extensively in that article. This neighbourhood is to be remarked for its great respectability; and to the number of genteel and opulent families that it contains may, in a great measure, be attributed the prosperity of the town of Oswestry. The market-days are Wednesday and Saturday; the former is a good market for grain and other produce; the latter as the butchers' market, a well as for other commodities of domestic consumption. The fairs are, the third Wednesday in January, March 15th, May 12th, the Wednesday before Midsummer-day, August 15th, the Friday before Michaelmas-day, and December 10th, for cattle, sheep, pigs, pedlery, etc. The parish contains twelve townships, exclusive of the town of Oswestry; the population of those several places collectively, amounted, by the census of 1821, to 3,613 persons; and the number of inhabitants in the town was 3,910, total in the entire parish 7,523.

Related Newspaper Articles

"On Saturday evening, there was a good deal of excitement owing to the fact that a horse attached to a trap had run away down Willow Street, and into the shop of Messrs. R. and R. Hughes and Co. of The Cross. The horse and trap belonged to the Reverend R. Edwards of Rhydycroesau, and was being driven into the town by two men; when opposite the Lion Hotel, the horse was startled at suddenly meeting a bicycle which at the time appeared around the corner, and it started off at a terrific rate down Willow Street. One of the men, with some presence of mind immediately jumped out of the trap, and though he alighted on the pavement, he escaped without sustaining serious injuries. When opposite Mr. Spaull's house, the horse ran on to the pavement where the near wheel of the trap struck against the curb, and was immediately stripped. The driver was also thrown out on to the pavement, but most fortunately he also escaped serious injury. The pony, however, continued its wild career through the crowded streets, and ultimately dashed straight into the principal doorway of Messrs. R. and R. Hughes and Co.'s establishment. At the time, there were three persons, one a little child, standing in the doorway, and it is quite inexplicable how they all succeeded in escaping uninjured. The escape of the little child was almost miraculous. The pony dashed past her, and she was almost struck by the trap, when a bale of goods fell in front of her, and thus protected her from shocking if not fatal injuries. From her awkward predicament she was immediately rescued. Just as the trap dashed into the door it struck a young man named Davies from Pool Road, who was passing, and carried him in with it. He was fortunately not seriously injured, but jumped up, picked up his stick which he had dropped and went on his way. The trap was carried by the pony into the shop, knocking over some bales of goods which were standing in the doorway, and breaking to atoms a huge pane of glass, which covered a case of goods. After some wild struggling, the pony, by the help of several persons, was disentangled from the trap, and led bleeding profusely from several deep cuts in its throat and knees to be treated by Mr. R. Hughes, veterinary surgeon, Willow Street. Except the broken pane of glass and some goods stained with blood not much damage was done in the shop, and it is a matter of congratulation that no severe injuries resulted from such an alarming episode."
"Extraordinary Trap Accident at Oswestry"
Oswestry Advertiser : May 11th 1892 Page 5

Click or tap here for more information

Click here to visit the W3C Markup Validation Service