Some history on Acton Trussell in the County of Staffordshire
Acton Trussell with Bednall is a township and parish formed in 1867, from the civil parish of Baswich, in the Western division of the county, hundred of East Cuttlestone, Penkridge petty sessional division, Cannock union, Stafford county court district, Penkridge rural deanery, Stafford archdeaconry and Lichfield diocese. Acton is 2½ miles north-east from Penkridge station on the Wolverhampton and Stafford line of the London and North Western railway and 3½ south-east from Stafford : Bednall is 3½ miles north-east from Penkridge and 4½ south-east from Stafford. The river Penk and the Staffordshire and Worcestershire canal pass through the parish. The church of St. James, Acton, formerly belonging to the Priory of St. Mary, Stafford, is an ancient building of stone in the Early Decorated style, and consists of nave with sacristy, north transept, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles and a small spire containing 3 bells. It was restored in 1870 at a cost of £620, under the direction of the late G. E. Street esq. R.A. and contains much beautiful stained glass and an interesting monument to Richard Neville, of Rickerscote, 1728. The church of All Saints', rebuilt about the year 1844, is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, north porch and a western belfry with spire, containing one bell and clock, given by Mrs. Heath and Miss Stokes, by whom also a stained east window was presented. The organ was erected in 1887, at a cost of £170, The church was restored in 1874 and 1888 at a total cost of £1,100. The register dates from the year 1571. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £163, net yearly value £290, including 32 acres of glebe with residence and grant from the Alport trust, in the gift of Hulme's trustees, and held since 1880 by the Rev. Arthur Richard Alsop M.A.. of Brasenose College, Oxford. The Earl of Lichfield is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Lord Hatherton, the Earl of Lichfield, Charles Chetwynd esq. of Brocton Hall, Baswich; Samuel Wright esq. of Aberdovey and Mrs. Heath. The soil is stiffish clay, and in some parts gravel; subsoil, rock and sandstone. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, turnips, seeds and clover. The area is 2,567 acres of land and 27 of water; rateable value, £4,619; the population in 1891 was 490.