Some history of the Globe Inn at Tamworth in Staffordshire


Click or tap here

For over a century the Globe Inn has stood proudly on Upper Gungate and is Tamworth's finest example of the pub palaces erected by the breweries during the tied-house war of the late Victorian era. Strictly speaking, the Globe Inn was built at the tail end of the pub rebuilding boom of 1886-1901 but its legacy and importance to Tamworth's architectural heritage is incalculable. Although a good number of ostentatious pubs were erected in the Edwardian period, particularly in the large cities, the year that the Globe Inn was constructed [1901] marked the end of the golden era. Subsequent licensing reforms led to the creation of more restrained and understated drinking establishments.

Tamworth :  Globe Inn on Upper Gungate [c.1930]

This photograph shows the Globe Inn around 1930. The lettering on the gates show that the Globe was part of the tied estate of public-houses operated by Frederick Smith's of Aston. The company's logo is also featured within the lovely glass panes on the ground floor. The construction date of 1901 can be seen in the gable of the building. The licensee at the time of this photograph was Frederick Platts who was the manager up until June 1934 when the licence was transferred to Walter French. However, before we get ahead of ourselves, lets wind the clock back to the early 19th century.

A very early reference to this public-house is an appointment and release document dated February 1818 from John Robins to Messrs. Knight and Brant. In the same year Charles Brant is listed in Parson and Bradshaw's trade directory as a joiner and builder in Gungate Street. Was this the man responsible for the construction of the original tavern on this site? Mrs. Hannah Weston is recorded in a copy probate document with reference to the pub, suggesting that the building was originally called the Townshend's Arms.

George Townshend 1st Marquess Townshend

There is no reference to a tavern called The Globe in Pigot's Directory of 1828-9. However, William Weston is listed as the publican of the Townshend's Arms on Gungate Street. This name commemorated George Townshend who, in the late 18th century, owned the Moat House on Lichfield Street. Son of Viscount Townshend of Raynham, in 1751 he married Lady Charlotte Compton, daughter of the fifth earl of Northampton and inheritor of Tamworth Castle. He succeeded to the title Viscount Townshend and was created Marquis Townshend in 1787. He enjoyed a distinguished military career in which he saw active service at the battles of Dettingen, Fontenoy, and Culloden.

As one of James Wolfe's brigadiers during the 1759 siege of Québec, George Townshend assumed temporary command of the army when Wolfe was killed. Townshend subsequently accepted the surrender of the city. An accomplished caricaturist, a skill which landed him in hot water on several occasions, he eventually rose to the rank of field marshal. Following his death in 1807, the 2nd Marquis enthusiastically set about restoring Tamworth Castle but died four years later.

Formerly the licensee of the Bell Inn further up the road, William Weston was a publican and maltster so the Townshend's Arms was almost certainly selling home-brewed ales. Large scale production and distribution of beer in and around Tamworth was still in its embryonic stage during this period. However, David Arnold would soon be in business in Gungate Street before moving to a large brewery in Albert Road.

Tamworth : Inn Sign of the Globe Inn [2006]

By the mid-1840s the pub was certainly trading as the Globe Inn. The name is associated with Portugal and the wine trade. Certainly, Tamworth had a good number of wine merchants in and around Market Street in the early 19th century. As a consequence of the French Revolutionary Wars and the Napoleonic Wars, the importing of French wine was prohibited until 1831. Consequently, the vast majority of wines sold in England originated from Portugal and Spain. The Globe name became widespread - there was another at nearby Wilnecote.

Arms of Marquessate of Townshend by Tomasz Steifer

William Weston married Hannah Watton in October 1815. The couple kept a busy house and hosted several major functions including the celebration of Lord Charles Townshend's victory in the 1820 elections. It was the Townshend Supper held at the Townshend's Arms Inn, presided over by Mr. Parsons, the senior Bailiff of the borough. Sixty "Townshend Stalwarts" sat down to a sumptuous repast in the principal room, while two hundred and twenty lesser stalwarts were accommodated in other rooms. Over the high table "was suspended a tasteful design of the Townshend's Arms draped in curtains of pink and blue," while from the surrounding walls hung appropriate mottoes and the rousing Townshend Anthem : "Hail to the Chief who in triumph advances." Supper being consumed and grace said, tankards were charged as the Tamworth Band struck up the National Anthem 'in grand style.' The celebrations also went off in other parts of the town.

The description of the supper held at the Townshend's Arms suggests that it was a large establishment. The electoral registers for Tamworth show that William Weston owned several properties in Gungate. The publican died in August 1841 and was buried at St. Editha's churchyard.

Taking out a mortgage on the property, surveyor and civil engineer Richard Allum combined his work with the running of the Globe Tavern during the early 1840s, though the day-to-day management of the place was probably the responsibility of his wife Hannah. Competition for trade in Gungate Street was intense with the neighbouring Star Inn and the Golden Cup Inn almost opposite. There was also the original Star Inn further towards Colehill, the Saracen's Head and, of course, the Bell Inn. With the relaxation of the licensing laws by means of the 1830 Beer House Act, a few more watering holes would also trade on Gungate Street, including the Carpenter's Arms and the Legs of Man. The latter evolved into the Prince of Wales.

Richard Allum was born at Marlow in Buckinghamshire in 1788. It may be a coincidence that a surveyor and civil engineer arrived in Tamworth at the time of the railways but it is tempting to speculate on his reasons for moving north. By 1850 he concentrated on his duties as an innkeeper. His wife Hannah was also from the south - she hailed from St.Alban's in Hertfordshire. The couple's five children were all living at the Globe Tavern. The eldest, Richard, worked as a dairyman whilst Francis was employed as a gardener. The brothers would later move into the property next door when Richard Allum was succeeded at the Globe Tavern by Thomas Ball.

Laying Track on the Railway

Thomas Ball certainly was involved with the pioneering age of the railways. The Comberford-born licensed victualler had previously worked as a platelayer whilst living in Branston, south of Burton-on-Trent. Whether the son of an agricultural labourer's work had taken him to Birmingham is unclear, but his wife Sarah hailed from Edgbaston. The couple had six young children living at the Globe Tavern. The family's stay was brief and they moved to the Black Country town of Wordsley where Thomas found work as a labourer in a colliery. Following his death, Sarah moved back to Birmingham where she operated a huxter's shop.

Throughout much of the 1860s and 1870s the Globe Hotel was run by William and Fanny Mellor. Born in Yoxhall in 1813, William was already a resident of Gungate Street before taking over at the Globe. Together with his wife Jane, he had moved to Bolehall from where he worked as a tape weaver. His wife died in 1844. With two young sons, he married again in 1846 to Dorothy Green. The couple moved to Gungate Street from where William continued to work as a weaver. Dorothy, however, traded as a milk dealer. She passed away in 1853. William remained in Gungate Street bringing up his family alone. He married for the third time in 1862, tying the knot with Fanny Long at Egginton. Although this was Fanny's place of birth, she was in service to an attorney at Tamworth.

William Mellor had seemingly kept an orderly house for eleven years before being nabbed by P.C. Price when selling beer early one Sunday morning. He was subsequently hauled before the magistrates who fined him heavily for the offence. His solicitor convinced the Bench that he should not have his licence endorsed.

Towards the end of the 1870s William and Fanny Mellor came out of the licensed trade. The couple moved to Newton Regis to farm a smallholding. However, Fanny died in 1880 and was buried back at Egginton. William later moved back to Tamworth and, in retirement, lived close to the Boot Inn on Lichfield Street.

The next licensee was Thomas Bath. The Globe Inn had remained in the ownership of the Allum family but was let to tenants. Thomas Bath was born in Bolehall in 1840; his wife Elizabeth originated from Whittington. The son of a potter, his early working life was as an agricultural labourer whilst living in the Tanyard off Bolebridge Street in the shadow of the tape mill of Etienne Hamel. Following his marriage to Elizabeth, the couple moved to Victoria Crescent where he found employment as a pipe-maker.

Not too long after Thomas and Elizabeth had taken over at the Globe Inn, they began to host a club run by James Knight. It was noted in the local press that, in January 1880, "about 40 persons belonging to a club, which is held at the Globe Inn, partook of dinner together in a large room, and thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Various toasts, interspersed with songs, were given, and, at the conclusion, the catering of Mr. and Mrs. Bath was deservedly eulogised." The couple were clearly dab hands at running the place. The club met quite regularly at the Globe where the catering of Thomas and Elizabeth was "in their usual good style."

Tamworth : Sale Notice for the auction of the Globe Inn [1883]

In April 1883 Trustees ordered the sale of the Globe Inn as part of the liquidation of Richard Allum. The sale particulars provide a glimpse of the old Globe Inn which featured a tap room, bar and parlour. This was an opportunity for Thomas and Elizabeth Bath and they successfully secured a mortgage through Thomas Argyle, a solicitor on Colehill who was also clerk to the borough magistrates and the trustees of the Tamworth turnpike roads. The couple had been running the place successfully for a few years so had a good track record. They had probably built up a little nest egg for the deposit so went from tenants to owners.

Victorian High Wheelers

A very early cycling club based their headquarters at the Globe Inn. In January 1886 a well-attended meeting of the Tame Valley Cycling Club met at the Globe Inn at which it was resolved that the uniform of the Club should be navy blue. The opening run of the season was held on Good Friday of that year. Starting out from the Globe Inn, members of the club cycled to Stonebridge. On the following Monday the club rolled out to Coleshill. Later in the year the members, "in full dress", teamed up with wheelmen of the Burton Cycling Club for a ride, following which they sat down to a dinner provided through the munificence of Mr. W. H. Worthington.

Click or tap here

Meetings of the Tamworth Harriers were also held at the Globe Inn, the club basing their headquarters at the hostelry. The secretary of the athletic club in the mid-1880s was Harry Betteridge. The weekly cross-country runs started out from the Globe Inn every Saturday morning and Wednesday evening. In the days before established public footpaths in the countryside, the athletes were quite intrepid and ran across ploughed fields and stubby grass. And their footwear did not feature cushioned heels and a Nike swoosh!

It would seem that the Globe Inn was central to many sporting and community activities. In 1891 a new fancier's club established their headquarters at the tavern run by Thomas and Elizabeth Bath. All races by the Tamworth and District Homing Society were held on a Saturday, the route passing over Didcot, Newbury and Ventnor. The honorary secretary of the club was J. C. Watson.

Tamworth : Sale Notice for the auction of the Globe Inn [February 1898]

Thomas and Elizabeth Bath decided to sell the Globe Inn and neighbouring cottages. Elizabeth may have been in poor health - hence the decision to give up the Globe Inn. She died shortly afterward in March 1898 and, following her death, Thomas went to live with his son in Cherry Street.

Frederick Smith's Star Bright Ale [1950s Beer Label]

In February 1898 the Globe Inn was sold at auction by George Kinson, an auctioneer, valuer and land agent based in Victoria Chambers. The sale was held at the Peel Arms Hotel and the property was sold to the Aston-based Frederick Smith Limited. When the brewery acquired the Globe Inn the local licensing justices may have imposed a condition that the property was improved. A similar stipulation was made two years later when the same brewery bought the Three Tuns in Lichfield Street. Whatever the decision-making process was, the outcome was that the brewery commissioned a new public-house to be erected on the site. The Globe is typical of brewery architects' work during this period. Ironically the pub architect was not that esteemed because the middle classes tended to disapprove of drinking establishments in the Victorian period. And yet the opulent creations erected are a testament to the enterprise of the Victorians. Indeed, a century later, these buildings stand as a wonderful legacy of the period.

The sheer volume of the pubs being upgraded in the late 19th century augured the age of the mass-produced building design. Another factor was the breweries desire to establish what we would call today a "corporate image." With transportation being one of the key costs in the acquisition of heavy wares in the Victorian era, some of the materials used at The Globe was sourced from Glascote where Gibbs and Canning operated a clay quarry. Founded in 1847 by John Gibbs and Charles Canning, this company employed around 300 people by the end of the 19th century. The firm supplied the decorative building materials for many famous buildings including the Royal Albert Hall and the Natural History Museum. The company's products were used in ecclesiastic, commercial and domestic architecture. In addition to many houses in and around Tamworth, the company's products were used in the construction of prominent buildings such as Lloyd's Bank and the building currently used by the Halifax Building Society, both in George Street.

Following the sale of the Globe Inn, the licence of the old house was transferred to John Robinson in June 1898. He made the local newspapers in September of the following year when he was summoned to the magistrates' court for offences under the Education Act for not sending his children regularly to school. He was fined the costs of the case and given an attendance order.

In February 1900 the licence of the Globe Inn was transferred from John Robinson to Walter Charles Graham. As managers for Frederick Smith Limited, they were the last couple to manage the old premises. The son of a sadler, Walter grew up in Lichfield Street a few doors from the Tamworth Arms and, following the death of his father, moved to Aldergate Street. In his early career he worked as a warehouseman at Cooke's clothing factory in Lichfield Street whilst his mother and sisters all worked as tailoresses.

Tamworth : Dated Gable of the Globe Inn [2003]

It was in June 1901 that the solicitor, Mr. J. Matthews, appeared before the magistrates with Mr. J. W. Godderidge, architect, with the plans for the new Globe Inn. Mr. Matthews pointed out to the Bench that "the premises had been in a dilapidated condition and the accommodation was quite inadequate, consequently the owners had found it absolutely necessary to pull the premises down." He told the magistrates that "it was also proposed to pull down the cottage on the north side of the inn and convert it into a covered-in gateway entrance." He added that "the cottages in the yard adjoining were also to be pulled down." He concluded that "when the plans were carried out they would have a somewhat handsome and commodious structure, improving the appearance of the street." Inspector Marson approved of the plans, and stated that he thought the proposed new premises would give better facilities for supervision, the present condition being unsatisfactory in that respect. Following short deliberation, The Bench approved of the plans.

Demolition of the old Globe Inn started in August 1901. The local residents complained of the nuisance and safety of the work being carried out. Consequently, the Town Clerk ordered the builder, Edward Williams, to erect a close-boarded fence between the public highway and the buildings. Construction of the new Globe Inn was quickly undertaken and the new public-house was ready for opening at the end of June 1902. Click here for a newspaper report on the new Globe Inn. This provides details of the layout, materials and key figures involved in the project. The opening ceremony was akin to that reserved for a major public building or church. This underlines what an important addition this building was to Gungate Street.

It is interesting to note that the pub was designed by a Tamworth architect, built by a Tamworth builder, and the plumbing, painting and glazing being installed by another Tamworth firm. In the modern world it is almost impossible to imagine such local expertise being available all in the same town. There was little out-sourcing in those days; many towns could do it all themselves.

Tamworth : Bowling Green [c.1912]

Soon after the building was completed a bowling green was laid out to the rear of the building. This was to form a key part of the the social life at the Globe Inn. With the formation of the bowling club, the first season commenced on Saturday, June 20th 1903 at 15.00hrs, with Captain vs. Vice-Captain teams. When William Hazlehurst was the licensee the five-man committee appointed him the captain of the bowling team.

A cigarette case found in 1986 by Bolehall resident Stephen Atkins had the inscription "Globe Bowling Club Season 1923" won by W. Dickinson. The Dickinson family used to live further up Gungate in one of cottages next to the Dog Inn.

Lodge Members of Loyal Caledonian Corks [c.1910]

A number of clubs and societies sought to have their meetings or headquarters at the 'new' Globe Inn, given that the facilities were regarded as the best in town during the Edwardian period. One such group was Lodge 447 of the Loyal Caledonian Corks, who held their annual dinner at the Globe Inn during November 1902. Including other publicans of the town, about fifty partook of "an excellent meal, admirably supplied by the hosts Walter and Nellie Graham." Originating in Scotland during the mid-19th century, the Caledonian Corks was a Friendly, Sick & Dividend Society that once boasted more than 18,000 members divided into 300+ Lodges. The movement was particularly strong in the Birmingham area. The Grand Independent Order of Loyal Caledonian Corks, like many other Victorian Friendly Societies, promoted saving amongst the poor in order to have some form of financial assistance during hard times, such as sickness and unemployment, or even death. This was widely perceived to be preferable to a dependency on the Poor Law Relief.

It is rather curious that licensees did not seem to settle at the new hostelry during the Edwardian period. Walter and Nellie Graham soon left despite being the first managers. Better known as 'Jim' to his friends, Walter Graham found employment at the Tamworth Gas Works and at Fishers' Mill, retiring from the latter place at the age of 68 years. He was for thirty-two years a member of the Tamworth Fire Brigade, serving under Alderman T. W. Woodcock and Mr. S. N. Chatterton. During the war period he was a special constable. Throughout his lifetime he took a keen interest in gardening. Following a lengthy illness, he died in July 1938. Six members of the Tamworth Fire Brigade acted as bearers at his funeral.

In January 1903 the licence of the Globe Inn was transferred to Henry Williams of Huntington, Cannock. However, he was gone in no time at all and William Hazlehurst took charge of the house. The brewer's agent was trying to juggle running the pub with his other work. This led to problems with his licence when trouble erupted in the Globe Inn in December 1903. Thomas Crutchley, a former police constable, a little worse for beer, boasted he could take on any man in Tamworth which led to a right commotion during which Florence Dean, a barmaid, was assaulted. Some of the other customers got involved and things got a bit messy. When called in, the police said that Anthony Flanagan, manager of the Bell Inn but standing in for William Hazlehurst, was not fit to run a pub. Surprising, therefore, that the licence was subsequently transferred to him during the following month!

Moving to the Horse & Jockey Inn, Anthony Flanagan was succeeded by Percy Hawkins in October 1905. Inspector Marson of the local police station was not happy about his appointment and told the magistrates that "he was informed that applicant was using "the long pull." This was denied by Percy Hawkins, who put in testimonials from Tipton, where he formerly resided. Inspector Marson did concede that there was no objection on the part of the Tipton police. The application was adjourned until the next Licensing Sessions, and a temporary authority was granted to William Hazlehurst, manager for Frederick Smith Limited.

The tenure of Percy Hawkins was brief and the licence of the Globe Inn was transferred to William Dormer in June 1906. He had no sooner unpacked his bags when he was brought before the magistrates on a charge of permitting drunkenness on his premises. The case hinged on the fact that, although he did not serve William Kelly with any alcohol, the publican did not remove him from the premises, despite the fact that the customer had been refused at the Bell Inn and Star Inn. William Dormer told the Bench that the Globe Inn was his first experience of the licensed trade and he had ejected several non-desirables in order to maintain an orderly house. With further supportive statements from his solicitor, the magistrates dismissed the case.

Together with his wife Annie, William Dormer spent the World War One years in charge of the Market Vaults before moving to the Tweeddale Arms close to the town's railway station. He was to become a highly respected gentleman of the town. Indeed, first standing in the Municipal Election on November 2nd, 1908, he became a councillor for Tamworth and served as Mayor in 1925 and 1926.

John and Margaret Wright were running the pub at the beginning of King George V's reign. The son of a carter, John Wright was from the Nuneaton area but Martha hailed from Glamorganshire. They were married at the Church of All Saints at Chilvers Coton in 1896. They had previously kept the old Hare and Hounds Inn at Heath End, a Chilvers Coton house that was rebuilt in 1904.

Alfred Hewitt signed a tenancy agreement for the Globe Inn on September 18th 1911. However, his stay at the public-house was brief and he moved to another tavern in Coventry, but not before he prosecuted the miner Frederick Emms who, when being refused more drink, ripped out a tree next to the bowling green. Emms was subsequently fined and ordered to pay costs.

Tamworth : Advertisement for the Globe Inn [October 1912]

William Statham was granted the licence of the Globe Inn in October 1912. He quickly announced his arrival by placing advertisements in the local newspaper. As can be seen from the advertisement, the publican had moved from the Three Tuns Inn on Lichfield Street, another house operated by Frederick Smith Limited. The next licensee, William Isaac Ramsell, went in the opposite direction when he left the Globe Inn. In 1921 he took over at the Three Tuns Inn. He was born at Glascote and was married at St. Editha's Church. He and his wife kept the Globe Inn for six years before transferring to the Three Tuns Inn. From there, the Ramsell's went to live at the Swan Inn, at Kingsbury, where he remained for about nine years. Returning to Tamworth, he became licensee of the Golden Cup Inn. In 1934 he was appointed attendant at the Municipal car park, in Corporation Street, and held that position until he was too ill to work. William Ramsell was well-known in Tamworth and the d|strict, and was a member of the Royal Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes [Kingsbury Lodge]. He died in February 1939, aged 70.

Click or tap here

Lance Sergeant Richard Hennessey

Richard and Alice Hennessey were appointed managers of the Globe Inn in 1921. Richard Hennessey was born in Newcastle-under-Lyme around 1875. He married Tamworth-born Alice Allen in 1904. Their eldest son, also named Richard, was one of five sons serving in the Forces during World War 2. He had served in the Army for many years, being stationed abroad for seven years, and as a reservist was called to the Colours on the outbreak of the war. Serving with the North Staffordshire Regiment [Prince of Wales] 2nd Battalion, Lance Sergeant Hennessey was killed in North Africa during April 1943 and buried at the Medjez-el-Bab War Cemetery in Tunisia.

Tamworth : Globe Bowling Green Club Whist Drive and Dance [March 1924]

Albert Biddle was mine host of the Globe Inn for much of the 1920s. During his time the social activities thrived at the public-house. The bowling club was rejuvenated, an air rifle club was based at the pub, along with a range of clubs and functions. One of the most popular figures on the bowling green was Benjamin Aucott, a timber merchant at Fazeley Mills. A native of Wilnecote, he was a very keen player and was a member of Tamworth Castle, Globe and Hopwas Bowling Clubs.

Advertisement for Butler's Ales and Porter at the Ettingshall New Village Brewery near Wolverhampton

Ownership of the Globe Inn changed during several brewery acquisitions and takeovers. Frederick Smith Limited were acquired by William Butler's Springfield Brewery of Wolverhampton in 1955. They were themselves taken over by Mitchell's and Butler's a few years later. Subsequent mergers resulted in the Globe Inn being later operated by Bass.

Tamworth : Globe Inn [August 2003]

The fortunes of the Globe Inn slipped in the later half of the 20th century and by 1992 the place was boarded-up and looking pretty dilapidated. Local builder David Baxter was responsible for its restoration. The work included an extension of 18 en-suite bedrooms.

Tamworth : Map Showing the Globe Inn [1885]

This map extract shows the earlier Globe Inn, though the current building occupies the same site. Note the cottages within the same large plot that were once called Allum's Cottages after the former publican who took up residence in one of them after his spell as licensee. With the removal of the orchard, the pub's bowling green was laid out on the land backing onto the timber yard. The Marmion County Primary School was later built on the site of the timber yard. The Star Inn is also shown on the map extract. That public-house was demolished around 1970.

Licensees of the Globe Inn

1828 - William Weston
1834 - William Weston
1845 - Richard Allum
1860 - Thomas Ball
1863 - Leonard Edwards
1864 - William Mellor
1880 - 1898 Thomas Bath
1898 - 1900 John Robinson
1900 - 1903 Walter Charles Graham
1903 - 1903 Henry Williams
1903 - 1904 William Hazlehurst
1904 - 1905 Anthony Flanagan
1905 - 1906 Percy Howson Hawkins
1906 - 1910 William Dormer
1910 - 1912 John Wright
1912 - 1913 Alfred Hewitt
1913 - 1916 William Statham
1916 - 1921 William Isaac Ramsell
1921 - 1922 Richard Hennessey
1922 - 1929 Albert Biddle
1929 - 1934 Walter Robert Platts
1934 - Walter Basil French
1964 - 1976 Arthur Greatorix
1976 - 1990 John Phillips Brynley
1990 - 1992 Kenneth Lakin
1992 - David John Heaney
Note : this is not a complete list of licensees for this pub.

Related Newspaper Articles

"An inquest was held at the Globe Inn, Gungate Street, on Saturday last, before T. Dewes, Esq., coroner, on the body of Michael Green, aged 22 years. The body was identified by the mother of deceased, Hannah Green, Coleshill. Deceased was employed as a "shunter" on the Midland Railway at Tamworth, and from the evidence of two fellow-servants, named William Archer and Joseph Day, it appeared on Saturday, April 9th, the deceased had charge of a horse and truck; in going along he trod on a stone when his foot slipped and became fast in one the points. Before he could disengage it the wagon passed the points, mutilated his left heel, and broke and crushed severely the calf of his right leg. He received every attention, both medical and otherwise, but the shock to the system was so great that he succumbed to his injuries on the morning of the 28th ult. The jury at once returned a verdict of "Accidental death." The deceased had been in the employ of the Railway Company six months, and was much respected by his fellow-servants and others, many of whom testified their respect by following his remains to the grave."
"Fatal Accident On The Railway"
Tamworth Herald : May 7th 1870 Page 4

"Before the Mayor [P. Aitken, Esq.], F. Ruffe, and I. Bradbury, Esqs., William Mellor, landlord of the Globe Inn, Gungate, was charged with keeping his house open for the sale of intoxicating liquors, during illegal hours. Mr. Shaw appeared for the defendant, who pleaded guilty. P.C. Price, the only witness called, deposed : On Sunday the 29th of March, I visited the defendant's house at 8.45 a.m. Standing near the bar entrance I saw a man with his face to the back door, which was open, as if he was about leaving the house. Another man was standing opposite the bar window in the act drinking a glass of ale. Defendant was inside the bar, and I found a jug on the counter between him and the man drinking containing fresh drawn ale and in a pewter measure there was some froth of ale. I asked the defendant how he accounted for the men's presence, and he replied, "I know I have done wrong." Defendant : I know I did wrong, but I am very sorry for it, and promise I will never offend again. No further witnesses were called, and Mr. Shaw proceeded to address the Bench for the defence. He said the defendant admitted the offence, and there was no doubt as to the truth of the facts deposed to by the officer, still he hoped they would take into consideration the fact that the defendant and his wife had conducted the house for some 11 years, without the slightest complaint being made against them. Defendant had given his word not to transgress again, and taking into consideration the good character hitherto borne by him he hoped the Magistrates would take a lenient view of the case, and not order the sentence to be endorsed on his license. He left the matter of penalty entirely to them, but on the other point he trusted they would see fit to grant his application. On the present occasion one or two neighbours came into the house, and the defendant had the weakness to accede to their wishes. From the personal respect he bore, Mr. Mellor asked them once more to take a lenient view of the case, as by doing so they would make as much impression as if they fined him £50., and endorsed the sentence on his license. The Bench, after a short consultation, fined defendant £5; and 10s. costs; but said, after mature consideration they did not intend endorsing the sentence on his license. The Defendant: Thank you Sirs. Mr. Bradbury advised the defendant to be more careful in future. The Police complained that the practice was prevalent in all parts of the town, and said it was almost impossible to catch the offenders and put an end to it. It was a very great evil, and ought to be put down."
"A Licensed Victualler Heavily Fined"
Tamworth Herald : April 18th 1874 Page 4.

"Joseph Smith, collier, Gungate Street, and Henry Chapman, labourer. Spring Gardens, were charged with being found drinking on the licensed premises of William Mellor, the Globe Inn, Gungate, on the 29th ult., during illegal hours. The evidence given in the previous case having been re-capitulated, P.C. Price identified Chapman as the man who stood by the bar door, and Smith as the man who stood opposite the bar window drinking ale. Chapman said he did not call for any ale and never tasted any whilst in the house. The Inspector : the summons being served on the defendant Chapman, he stoutly asserted that he was never in the house at all that morning. The Bench said the full penalty was 40s., but they would let the defendants off on payment of costs, 5s. 6d. each, hoping that would prove a sufficient warning to them."
"Liquoring Up"
Tamworth Herald : April 18th 1874 Page 4.

"While P.C. Onions was standing at the corner of Church street and Gungate street, Tamworth, at twelve o'clock on Sunday evening he heard a noise as of something falling, and going in the direction whence the sound proceeded he found a man lying in the entry by the side of the Church with one of his ears almost severed from his head. The man on being spoken to would give no explanation of how the affair occurred; the only remark he made in reference to the matter being that "This comes of being good-natured to people." It transpired that his name is Robert Shaw, a blacksmith to trade, of Hucknall, Nottingham, that he had only arrived in the town on Friday last and had since been lodging in one of the common lodging-houses. He was removed to the Workhouse, where his injuries were attended to."
"Strange Affair at Tamworth"
Tamworth Herald : May 20th 1893 Page 5.

"Benjamin Morris, miner, Gungate, was charged with being drunk and disorderly in Gungate, on the previous evening. Defendant pleaded not guilty. P.C. Parkes said the defendant was very drunk and fell down. Inspector Dodd said he saw the defendant when he was brought in and he was then drunk. About five o'clock the defendant went to the police station, and was then under the of influence of drink. Witness persuaded him to leave quietly, but in consequence of complaints, he sent P.C. Parkes in search of him. Defendant admitted having promised when before the Bench on the previous day, that he would take the pledge, and said he had no drink after being "let out" [laughter] - The Bench fined defendant £1 and costs, in default a month's hard labour. Defendant was further charged with wilfully damaging the glass panes of a door, to the amount of 2/-, the property of Thomas Bath, landlord of the Globe Inn, on the same day. The complainant stated that about 7.30 p.m. the defendant committed a nuisance in the passage near the bar, and when remonstrated with he deliberately punched his fist through the glass door. Witness had refused to serve the defendant with drink, and would not serve him whether drunk or sober. Defendant said he recollected nothing of the occurrence, and informed the Bench he would leave the town and never return. The Bench sentenced the defendant to a month's imprisonment."
Tamworth Herald : December 2nd 1893 Page 8.

"Stephen Found, carpenter, Aldergate street, pleaded not guilty to a charge of having assaulted Fanny Partington, married, on August 13th. Complainant stated that she lived at No. 6, Cross Street, The Leys, and was the wife of Henry John Partington. On the date in question, about five minutes to eleven at night, she was in Gungate, at the gate of the Globe Inn yard, where she saw her husband and asked him to come home. The defendant came across from the other side of the road, and struck her husband on the face, causing his nose to bleed. She asked him why he did that, when defendant struck her also on the cheek, making a bruise. She had never spoken to the defendant in her life. Her husband said that the defendant had struck him in mistake. Henry John Partington, husband of complainant, said he was just outside his wife's mother's door when the defendant came across the road and struck him deliberately on the nose without any provocation. When witness's wife asked him why did that, he struck her on the face also. She went into her mother's house, where her cheek was bathed. Defendant was not sober at the time. Witness had not spoken to the defendant for weeks. Andrew Wright, residing in Spring Gardens, said the defendant struck at a man named Tomlinson who was there, and by accident hit Partington. Some friends came forward to take defendant home, and as he was "swinging" round he also "caught" complainant on the side of the head. Witness took Tomlinson home. He could not say that the defendant struck the complainant deliberately. Complainant said defendant was in beer, and as he came up to her husband drew up his sleeves. For the defence, John Graham, of 18, Aldergate, also stated that defendant's blow was aimed at Jack Tomlinson. with whom defendant had previously had some words. Witness did not see the assault on complainant. Edward Whitehouse, finisher, said he did not see complainant assaulted. Defendant admitted that he struck at Tomlinson and hit Partington by mistake, but denied that he struck complainant; he never saw her there. The Bench ordered the defendant to pay a fine of 1/-, and costs of 19/6."
"Charge Of Assault"
Tamworth Herald : September 3rd 1898 Page 5.

Click or tap here

Related Newspaper Articles

"John Robinson, landlord of the Globe Inn, Gungate. was summoned for driving a horse and carriage in Aldergate street on the night of July 22, without a light. P.C. Williams proved the case, and stated that when he called to defendant he refused to stop. Robinson, who admitted the offence, stating that the light went out just before he arrived home, was fined 1/- and 8/6 costs."
"No Light"
Tamworth Herald : August 5th 1899 Page 5.

"To the enterprise of Messrs. Fredk. Smith, Ltd., of Aston Model Brewery fame, the inhabitants of Tamworth are indebted for a decided improvement in Gungate Street, through the demolition of the primitive building known as the Globe Inn, and for the erection of a fine modern, well-appointed hostelry in its stead. The "New Globe Inn" is erected on the site of the old house, and has an extensive and imposing frontage to Gungate Street. The front is carried out red [Measham] bricks, with Ham Hill [Somersetshire] and red-and-white Hollinton stone dressings. It contains a wide entrance hall, large public vaults, smoke room, snug, private parlour, kitchen and out-offices on the ground floor, and commodious club room, servery [with lift from kitchen], large bed rooms, bath room, lavatories, etc., on the first floor. There is excellent cellar accommodation and stabling, carriage house and piggeries. Messrs. Fredk. Smith, Ltd., Aston Model Brewery, Birmingham, the owners, have spared no expense in making the new inn replete and up-to-date. The appointments throughout are excellent. The public rooms are fitted up with a view to comfort to those using them; the lighting, heating and ventilation being perfect. A bowling green is in the course of preparation at the rear of the premises. The whole of the work has been carried out according to plans and specifications prepared and under the supervision of Mr. J. W. Godderidge, architect and surveyor, of Tamworth. The contractor was Mr. E. Williams, builder, of Tamworth. The plumbing, painting and glazing were executed by Mr. H. M. Dimbleby, of Tamworth. The marble mosaic paving in the hall and corridors by the Art Pavements and Decorations Co., Ltd., of London. The bar fittings were supplied by Mr. A. H. Aldridge, ironmonger, Tamworth, and the furniture, upholstering, etc. by Messrs. A. R. Dean, Ltd., and Messrs. Rippingale, of Birmingham. In order to celebrate the opening of the new premises, on Monday a party of guests numbering about 60 were entertained to a first-class cold collation, which was supplied by Messrs. Lissitter & Miller, of Birmingham. Mr. Fred Smith, managing director, presided, the vice-chair being occupied by Mr. Hazlehurst, the local representative of the firm. Among those present in addition were Messrs. F. Brown [director], A. Latham, J. T. Lees, R. Stephenson, S. Mason, and Hughes [all of Birmingham], A. J. Bartle, G. Tait, T. W. Woodcock, A. H. Aldridge, W. A. Sapey, H. C. Goostry, G. Barton, G. Stokes, W. C. Palser, F. C. Hodson, W. Butler, J. Hunt, H. M. Dimbleby, E. Williams, R. Stevenson [Bodymoor Heath], J. G. Lowe, G. Kinson, T. W. Salt, W. Busby, J. T. Nugent, C. Nugent, G. Griffin, J. Buckland, F. Buckle, H. Keen, J. Willis, J. Dale. A. G. Ashwood, H. Hickin, J. Barnes [Fazeley], J. Johnson, J. Sewed, Sayes [Hopwas], A. Bircher, W. C. Graham, etc. After a most enjoyable repast, the Chairman submitted the loyal toast, which was musically honoured. Mr. S. Mason gave "the Army and Navy," to which Captain Woodcock responded. Apologies for absence were announced from Inspector Marson, Alderman Hare, Councillor Luby, and Mr. J. W. Godderidge, the architect, the latter being at Rhyl through ill-health. Mr. Palser then gave the toast of the day, "The proprietors and success to the "Globe." He said he was a Birmingham man, and he thought it was creditable to Birmingham men that Birmingham could turn out Birmingham ales of the quality and condition that they knew Smith's Ltd. could do [hear, hear, and applause]. The motto of Birmingham, he believed, was "Forward." The years he had known Smith's Ltd. brewery, their motto had been forward in their production. With that motto before the brewery they had tried to live up to it, and they had not only excelled that motto, but wished to do better in the future. If any criterion were wanted as to the excellency of Smith's, he thought they had had it in the excellent repast that afternoon, and the most hearty welcome they had received. The least they could do was to show that the feeling was reciprocal among them. Having referred in eulogistic terms to Mr. Hazlehurst, the local representative of the brewery, Mr. Palser went on to say that if all houses and all businesses were carried on as he thought Messrs. Smith's were, law and order would prevail. The appearance of the new house did justice to the builder and the architect in every way. He felt quite positive that the supplies would be up to the appearance of the house. It would behove all of them to think whether they could do better than take those little potations which they required at any other house than the Globe [applause]. He coupled the name of Mr. Smith with the toast. The Chairman, who was received with applause in responding, assured them that the proprietors were very glad to see such a large, influential gathering to celebrate the opening of that establishment in its new quarters [hear, hear, and applause]. They hoped the opening would prove to be the forerunner of a successful career as far as the Globe Hotel was concerned. They hoped they might have the pleasure of meeting most of them on future occasions, when they might invite them to bowl on the new bowling green which they were hoping to provide [hear, hear, and applause.] It was a pleasure to have so many gentlemen present to assist them in their efforts in providing an establishment in that district which they thought the needs of the district required. [hear, hear.[ Mr. Graham, their tenant [applause] would do his utmost to cater for all classes [applause]. He understood that would be the meeting house of the Tamworth Athletic Football Club [hear, hear]. There was very little accommodation at the old Globe for anyone; now they had provided accommodation for everyone, and they hoped everyone would make it their headquarters and so satisfy the proprietors and the tenant, Mr. Graham [loud applause]. At this juncture a letter was received from Mr. C. F. Cast, of the Castle Hotel, who stated that he was prevented from joining them. He wished them every success, and stated that the firm was to be highly congratulated upon placing such house in the town, where the public could assemble under sanitary and healthy conditions, which to his mind should be the first consideration in licenses being granted. Mr. T. W. Salt proposed "The Local Authorities" in a characteristic speech, expressing the hope that they would try to live in harmony for the benefit of the town and its inhabitants. Councillor Bartle, in acknowledgment, said if there had been less personalities in Tamworth Town Council previous meetings, the affairs would have gone on very much more smoothly than they had done [hear, hear]. Up till that morning the Tamworth Town Council, under the present chairmanship of the Mayor, had never had a fair "look in." In his [the Mayor's] own words that morning, he said he would give both sides fair play. It was all very well to talk about fair play. People rose to points of order, but if one side got all the points of order allowed, and the other side got practically hissed down, there was no fair play about it. Referring to the building he considered it was one of the steps in the right direction. Under the present regime it was evident that there was a strong fight against the license-holders by the present magistrates. In his opinion it was going to be the survival of the fittest. Messrs. Fred. Smith Ltd. were the first to come into the field, having provided a sanitary and healthy place where those that did not quite agree with temperance advocates and teetotal advocates who wished to meet together, could meet in healthy surroundings [hear hear, and applause]. Mr. A. H. Aldridge also responded. He said since he had been elected on the School Board he had tried to do all that he promised the burgesses of the loyal borough. There was something which he promised which had been carried out, and sanctioned by the Board of Education [hear, hear]. Mr. Hodson submitted "The Press," which was acknowledged by the representatives present. Mr. J. T. Lees, of Aston Villa Football Club fame, proposed "Success to the Tamworth Athletic Football Club." He remarked that the Aston Villa Football Club would be pleased to back Tamworth Football Club in anything they could do as regarded getting them into the Birmingham and District League. He thought the local ground was one of the best grounds outside Birmingham. Mr. Hickin and Mr. F. Brown [president], responded. Mr. Tait gave the concluding toast, which was that of "The Chairman." This was honoured with music, and suitably acknowledged by Mr. Smith. The proceedings terminated with the singing of tbe National Anthem. Songs were rendered during the afternoon by Messrs. Hazlehurst, Sapey, Hunt, and the Chairman, and Mr. Hodson gave a recitation."
"Opening Of The New Globe Inn"
Tamworth Herald : June 28th 1902 Page 5.

"Thomas James Crutchley, ex-Staffordshire police constable, pleaded not guilty to having been drunk upon licensed premises on the 15th December. Bert Cadbury, miner, Dordon, stated that about 6pm he went into the Globe Inn. There was some conversation about wrestling, and the defendant offered to wrestle any man in Tamworth for £10. Defendant did not use bad language. The barmaid interfered to prevent wrestling and defendant struck her on the cheek. He did not think it was an intentional blow. A man named Shackles told the defendant not to strike a woman. Defendant took hold of Shackles, who fell. Inspector Marson said the witness had told him a different story. Witness said he tried to get defendant from Shackles, when defendant "just struck him over the eye." There was a pane of broken glass in the front door, but witness believed that was done by the spring. Defendant was not drunk but excited. Inspector Marson said the witness had signed a statement that the defendant was drunk. Witness said he did so conditionally. The Mayor reproved the witness for having "fenced with the questions." William Shackles, miner, Two Gates, said he took off his coat and said "I'm the best man in Tamworth, and will wrestle any man for £10." Defendant did not strike him, but knocked him down. [Laughter.] Defendant was not drunk, but was "the worse for beer." Sergeant Smith said he was called to the house and found defendant to be drunk. He told defendant that he was not fit to be in charge of the house. Mr. Flanagan said he had taken charge of the house until Mr. Hazlehurst, the landlord, who had been sent for, arrived. P.C. Cope said the witnesses Cadbury and Shackles made a complaint to him when outside the house. He went in and found defendant drunk in the bar. When asked what the disturbance had been about defendant replied "Nothing. Don't stop here, there's a crowd outside." Defendant also asked him to move the crowd away. Witness returned to the house a quarter of an hour later with Sergeant Smith. Florence Dean, barmaid, said the defendant went out in the afternoon, and when he returned she could see that he had had something to drink, but he was not drunk. When, she remonstrated with defendant for offering to wrestle he struck her on the side of her face, and she picked up a stool with which to defend herself. Defendant, on oath, denied that he was drunk. The wrestling challenge was merely a joke. He merely pushed the last witness. Shackles then went behind the bar to protect her, and said he should stay there until another man came. Witness told him if he did not leave the bar he should have to put him outside. He declined to do so, and witness took hold of him; in the struggle he fell. Cadbury then offered to fight, and witness endeavoured to eject him, and a pane of glass in the door was broken. Mr. Flanagan took charge of the bar because his fingers were cut. He had been a teetotaller from the time he entered the Globe until that day, when he had two or three glasses in the town. If he appeared drunk it was from excitement. By Inspector Marson: He went into about four public-houses that afternoon, and had something to drink at each. He would not say that he was perfectly sober when he returned home. The Mayor said the Bench regarded it as a serious case, and defendant, whose conduct had been reprehensible in the extreme, would be fined £1 and costs, 17s. 6d. They were of the opinion that the case pointed to the unwisdom on the part of the Bench in permitting licenses to held by persons who did not reside on the premises, and who were thereby not directly responsible for the observance of the law. The Bench disallowed the costs of the witness Cadbury."
"Ex-P.C. Fined for Drunkenness"
Tamworth Herald : January 1st 1904 Page 8

"James Riley, debt collector, 5 Burton Street, Leicester, was charged with being drunk on the licensed premiises of the Globe inn, on October 6th. The defendant pleaded guilty, and said he felt ashamed of himself. P.C. Saverton said the defendant asked him where Sandown Road was. Defendant was very drunk, and he afterwards went to the Globe Inn. Witness followed him in. Defendant said this was the first time he had been before the magistrates. He would sign the pledge. He was ordered to pay the costs 3s. 6d."
Tamworth Herald : October 11th 1913 Page 3

"Mr. T. E. Auden, coroner for East Staffordshire, held an inquest at the Globe inn, Tamworth on Friday afternoon last week relative to the death of Robert John Nicholls, 2 Lower Gungate, Tamworth, who died from the result of falling from the third storey window of his residence on the previous Tuesday. Mr. William Lea was the foreman of the jury. Hilda Nicholls, daughter of the deceased, said her father was a carpenter and undertaker. He had been ill for some years, having dizzy fits, and his heart was weak. He had been a little worse lately, and had been attended by a doctor for two or three weeks. She saw him in bed on Tuesday morning just before twelve o'clock, when he was about to get up. He seemed very poorly, and complained of faintness. He was in the top room, but the window was not open. She did not see him again until he had been carried into the house and was lying on the couch in an unconscious state. Asked if had had any trouble lately, witness said her mother had been ill, which had naturally worried him. He had not been depressed. He had never said he was tired of life, or threatened to do away with himself. Some years ago his mind was a little affected. She had not noticed that his mind was affected lately. When he fell he was clothed except for his coat and boots. No letters were left behind. He was in the habit of opening the window, the ledge of which was low, whilst dressing. About a fortnight ago he had an attack of giddiness in the street, and fainted, and fell down. James Berry, retired railway signalman, River View. New street, Tamworth. said he was passing the house at about 11.55 a.m. Tuesday, when saw a shadow in front him and immediately the deceased fell on the ground. The window was wide open. Deceased was unconscious. He had known deceased for about forty years. Dr. C. H. Joy, Tamworth, said he had known deceased about fifteen years. He had attended him off and on. When he was ill before he was melancholic, but did not show any suicidal tendency. He had not done any manual work for many years. He had never shown any acute depression. Witness saw him a fortnight ago when he had an attack of giddiness in the street and fell down, but was not seriously hurt and was much better in few days. A week ago he appeared to be much as usually had been; he could not see very much having undergone an operation with one of his eyes. He suffered from glaucoma. He did not notice any acute depression. Suffering from weak heart he might faint any time. He was subject to giddiness, and could not see at all well. He thought deceased was leaning forward to fasten the catch of the window, and failing in an attempt put the hook through the eye, overbalanced. He believed it was a pure accident. Death was due to a fractured base of the skull. The jury returned a verdict of "Accidental Death."
"Fall From a Bedroom Window"
Tamworth Herald : April 11th 1914 Page 6.

Click or tap here for more information

Click here to visit the W3C Markup Validation Service