Some history on the Three Horseshoes Inn at Bubbenhall in the county of Warwickshire
The Three Horseshoes stands on Spring Hill; an old water source can still be seen across the road near the corner of Pit Hill. This forms an attractive village green. The Three Horseshoes is a pub of some antiquity. The property was originally part of land and property belonging to Pisford's Charity, established in the early 16th century by William Pisford, a grocer and Mayor of Bubbenhall. In the early 19th century two of the cottages were leased to Thomas Walton, yeoman, who was described as a brewer at the sign of the Horseshoes. A smithy did exist here in the 18th century. Whilst Bagington has its oak tree, the Three Horseshoes was once famous for having a massive walnut tree. A report from the mid-1960s suggested that the tree had the widest spread of branches in Warwickshire. Mrs. Plant, wife of the licensee, told a journalist that she had seen at least 16 horses sheltering under it at the same time.
More information on the Three Horseshoes Inn at Bubbenhall to follow. I have created a page for the pub either because I had a link to the pub from another page or I am developing a framework for the website before filling in the gaps. I realise this is frustrating if you were specifically looking for information on the Three Horseshoes Inn. There is plenty of information on Warwickshire pubs dotted around the website - click here for a good starting place.
"An accident, terminating fatally, occurred to Mrs. Ward, of the Three Horse Shoes Inn, Bubbenhall, on Thursday evening last week. An
inquiry into the circumstances was held at the Warwickshire Hospital on Tuesday morning, before the coroner. Dr. W. Iliffe. The deceased, aged 47, was the wife of
Arthur Ward, an iron fitter, who worked at Coventry, and returned home to the Three Horse Shoes, Bubbenhall, at the end of the week, and Mrs. Ward looked after the
business in his absence. On Wednesday evening a customer came in for some gin, and the deceased took a jug upstairs to fetch it. She carried a paraffin lamp in her
other hand. Upon coming downstairs she slipped and fell, both the jug and the lamp breaking. The spirit ignited, running all over her head and face. William Sutton,
a labourer, of Bubbenhall, who was sitting in the kitchen, at once went to her assistance, pulling off his coat, and with it extinguishing the flames. In doing so
he burnt his left hand badly. Medical assistance was procured from Wolston, and in the meantime neatsfoot oil and limewater were applied by Miss Grimes, of Bubbenhall.
Upon the doctor's advice the injured woman was removed to the Coventry and Warwickshire Hospital on Thursday morning. Upon examination the house surgeon. Dr.
Hugh Miller, deceased was found to have been extensively burnt on the arms, neck, face, and head. She was quite sensible. For two days she went on very well, but
her throat gradually became affected, her breathing was obstructed, and she died on Saturday morning. The immediate cause of death was asphyxia, due to the
congestion of the air passages, A verdict of "Accidental death" was returned, the Coroner and jury expressing their sympathy with the husband, who was
deeply affected during the inquiry. The young man, William Sutton, was thanked for his kindness in rendering assistance to the unfortunate woman."
"Fatal Paraffin Lamp Accident
Rugby Advertiser : March 9th 1889 Page 2