Some history of the Manor Arms at Abberley in the county of Worcestershire.


Click or tap here

Formerly known as the Bromley Arms, the Manor Arms is located in the historic centre of Abberley, the old part of the village clustered around the Norman church of Saint Michael. This church fell into disrepair and, in 1852, was replaced by St. Mary's Church, the steeple of which can be seen in the photograph below, dating from October 1968. Unusually, however, the chancel of the ancient church was restored in the mid-Edwardian era, thus Abberley is graced by two churches.

Abberley : Manor Arms [1968]

This 1968 photograph shows that the Manor Arms has changed little over the last half-century or so - on the outside at least. A signboard over the entrance shows that the Manor Arms was once operated by William Butler's Springfield Brewery at Wolverhampton. Interestingly, the signboard also features the heraldic argent of Ralph de Toeni who held the land here at the time of the Domesday survey. The manor was later granted to Sir William Walshe by King Henry VIII. His descendant, William Walsh, served as a Member of Parliament during the late 17th and early 18th centuries, though he is best remembered as a poet and critic. A frequent visitor to the Walsh family home at Abberley Lodge was Alexander Pope, a good friend of William Walsh.

Abberley : Map extract showing the Bromley Arms [1884]

Ownership of the Manor of Abberley changed following the death of William Walsh in 1708. He was unmarried so the manor passed to his sister and co-heir Anne, wife of Francis Bromley of Holt. This would suggest that the pub dates from the 18th century as the Bromley family held the manor until the death of Colonel Henry Bromley in 1836. The executors of his will instructed George Robins to sell the house and estate in June 1836. The mansion was acquired by the Birmingham merchant and banker James Lewis Moilliet.

Born in Geneva, Switzerland in 1770, James Lewis Moilliet moved to Birmingham in 1789. He became acquainted with Matthew Boulton and, as a result, met influential industrialists within the Lunar Society, including the Scottish-born inventor and entrepreneur James Keir. Within two years he married Amelia Keir, the only daughter of the magnate who lived at Hill Top near West Bromwich. The couple were residents of Hamstead Hall in Handsworth before their move to Abberley. But not before they had engaged Samuel Whitfield Daukes to replace the old lodge at Abberley with a glorious Italianate edifice. This was a 'breakthrough' commission for the young architect who played an influential role in building design around the Midlands during the mid-19th century.

Abberley : Manor Arms [c.1908]

After expending some £15,000 on the reconstruction, James Lewis Moilliet died within a year of the project's completion. Indeed, the 'new' Abberley Hall lasted only three years before it was destroyed by fire. On Christmas Day in 1845 Amelia Moilliet was entertaining her friends for the festive occasion when a fire broke out in the upper rooms. Standing on an elevated spot, there was little water available to douse the flames so the local populace had to convey buckets of water from a pool in a hand-to-hand operation extending some half-a-mile in distance. Their efforts were in vain and the property blazed for several hours. Amelia Moilliet was removed to the Hundred House Inn. She would later instruct the same architect to build a replacement based on his original plans.

Abberley : Manor Arms [2005]

The Jones family were in charge of the Bromley Arms for much of the 19th century. In 1814 the house of widow and publican Mary Jones at the Bromley Arms was mentioned in an article referring to the enclosure of land at Abberley. By 1851 78 year-old John Jones was running the pub along with his son, also named John. John Jones the elder originated from Burford in Shropshire. His son John was born-and-bred in Abberley. His wife Ellen was from Stoke Bliss. They had a son in 1848 and, for sheer continuity, was given the name of John. The family grew during the 1850s with the birth of two daughters, Lucy and Sarah. However, an air of melancholy descended upon the Bromley Arms in December 1858 when Ellen Jones was found drowned in a pool near the pub. The Worcester Journal reported that she had been confined about six weeks prior to her death and that, during that period, she had suffered greatly from "depression of spirits." The coroner was sure that her death had been self-inflicted and, at the inquest, the jury returned a verdict of "deceased drowned herself, being at the time of unsound mind."

It would seem that there were few quiet nights at the Bromley Arms during the 19th century. A palpable air of malevolence pervaded at the weekends when local labourers piled into the pub to sink some ale. On one November evening in 1865 there was a near riot in the pub when trouble kicked off and most of the customers took part in a mass brawl. In the fallout William Winwood charged William Sheriff with assaulting him. A. Clark also charged T. Slater with assault during what was officially described as a 'Public House Squabble.' Slater was sentenced to 14 days' hard labour. Thomas Slater was handed down a sentence of one month for assaulting the landlord. William Edwards was bound over for what was called threatening behaviour towards Mr. T. Quartermaster of Pensax.

Abberley : Manor Arms [2005]

In the last decade of the 19th century John Jones Jr. was running the Bromley Arms along with his daughter Sarah who had married the farm bailiff Thomas Bishop. John Jones was himself documented as both innkeeper and farmer. However, he also found himself in front of the magistrates for being drunk in charge of the Bromley Arms. Son-in-law Thomas Bishop would eventually succeed John Jones as licensee of the Bromley Arms. Although, he was born in Rock, he had spent many years living at Stockton Field in Abberley. By all accounts Thomas Bishop failed to control the patrons of the Bromley Arms. There were many case of unruly behaviour, fighting and drunkenness at the pub whilst he was the licensee. The magistrates, clearly saddened by the constant trouble at the Bromley Arms, refused an application by Thomas Bishop in March 1894 for a two hour extension to his licence for a supper held by members of the Abberley Young Men's Society. Although it was explained to The Bench that the society's aim was to promote the social and literary improvement of the members, the magistrates probably felt that a large gathering of men in the Bromley Arms would descend into a whole world of trouble!

William Butler and Co. Ltd. : Pride of the Midlands

Click or tap here

Thomas Bishop was heading for trouble of another kind. The books were not adding up and in March 1896 he was declared bankrupt. In a public examination it was stated that he had commenced his business as innkeeper during December 1891, with a capital of £30, which he had borrowed. Up to that time he had been working as a labourer. He had known for two years that he was in financial difficulties, and held a sale of his effects, since which he had been living in a cottage, earning a little money as a labourer. Besides losses in the Bromley Arms, he had lost over £100 dealing in fruit. During the examination Mr. Sharp enquired if the debtor had sustained any loss giving what was called the "long pull," to which Bishop replied that there might have been some loss, for he always gave good measure.

Abberley : Manor Arms [2016]

By the end of the Victorian era, farmer Richard Mills had taken over at the Bromley Arms. He had previously operated a cider house in the village. He moved to the pub with his wife Elizabeth and their four children. He also employed a carter and two general labourers on the farm. Like Thomas Bishop before him, Richard Mills had problems in keeping an orderly house in Abberley. In March 1901 Joseph Allen, a labourer from the village, was summoned for being drunk and refusing to quite the Bromley Arms. He was fined 15s. at the Hundred House Petty Sessions. In another case Charles Allen and Henry Bonehill, both of Abberley, were charged with being disorderly in the pub and refusing to quit. The publican told the magistrates that both men wanted to fight and would not leave so he sent for P.C. Williams. Richard Mills stated that he had not supplied Bonehill with drink, on account of his condition. He understood that they had been drinking homemade wine. P.C. Williams said that the men were very disorderly and in a quarrelsome condition. The Chairman questioned Inspector Berry as to the way Richard Mills conducted the house, remarking that there had been a great deal of disorder in the Bromley Arms, and several before the Court. However, Inspector Berry said that the house was "very well conducted, considering the class of people he had to deal with."

Beer Labels of William Butler's Springfield Brewery of Wolverhampton

It is possible that Richard and Elizabeth Mills changed the name of the house. By the end of the Edwardian era it was listed as the Manor Arms in trade directories. However, the pub had been known as the Manor Arms for some time before - the two names appear in an advertisement dated 1894. By the time of the coronation of King George V farmer and publican Richard Mills had eight children living at the Manor Arms. Little wonder that Elizabeth engaged Maggie Rains as a nurse. Many of the children were still living on the premises by the outbreak of World War 2. It was daughter Fanny who held the licence of the Manor Arms.

Beer Bottle Neck Strap produced at William Butler and Co. Ltd. of Springfield at Wolverhampton in Staffordshire

William Butler's were bought out by Mitchell's and Butler's in 1960 and the Manor Arms formed part of the Cape Hill brewery's tied estate, later passing to Bass Charrington.

Anthony and Margaret Heath were running the Manor Arms during the 1970s in a lovely period for the pub. Their daughter, Samantha, enjoyed what sounds like an idyllic childhood in Abberley.

Abberley : Fireplace inside the Manor Arms [2016]

The interior photograph of March 2005 was taken during a visit I made to the Manor Arms about a year after it had been taken over by an agreeable publican called Jay Seldon, who leased the property from Enterprise Inns. He and his partner tried very hard to put the Manor Arms on the map and were operating a ten-bedroom hotel here. A keen real ale fan since the 1980s, the former I.T. man reintroduced cask ales to the bar and staged a beer festival, an event during which I walked across a greasy pole after several beers - a lot of people were impressed! I was saddened to hear that things did not work out for Jay and his partner and they eventually moved on.

Abberley : Beer Garden at the Manor Arms [2016]

The Manor Arms was acquired by new owners during May 2013, after which the pub was closed for nine months for extensive renovations. The results of this undertaking can be seen in the photographs dating from August 2016. The interior had been changed completely and the pub combined relaxing drinking areas and restaurant. The Manor Arms did at least retain a small section of the pub for drinkers and regular clientele. Relatively locally-brewed beers from Wye Valley and Ludlow were stocked. The pub benefited from a very fine patio and beer garden with the nearby hills forming a lovely backdrop. We have cycled out to this pub on a number of occasions and enjoyed a Wye Valley Butty Bach whilst taking in this view.

Abberley : Beer Festival at the Manor Arms [2005]

Abberley : Hand Pulls at the Manor Arms [2016]

Abberley : Bar at the Manor Arms [2016]

Abberley : Dining Area of the Manor Arms [2016]

Click or tap here

Licensees of the Manor Arms

1814 - Mary Jones
1851 - John Jones
1870 - John Jones Jr.
1891 - 1996 Thomas Bishop
1896 - Richard Mills
1912 - Richard Mills
1940 - Fanny Mills
1972 - Anthony Heath
2005 - Jay Seldon

Note : this is not a complete list of licensees for this pub.

Etched Glass Window of William Butler and Co. Ltd. of Springfield at Wolverhampton in Staffordshire

Genealogy Connections

"I lived at the Manor Arms with my family from 1970 to 1976. My Mom and Dad were licensees back then when it was a lovely traditional country pub.

I was only a little girl when we lived there, but I have many memories of this lovely, then country pub.

I could be found sleepwalking in the village and was returned on a regular basis by the regulars which was very funny to all of them.

In relation to the pub itself, I do remember one evening when I was woken up by a fireman walking into my bedroom and carrying me out into the village. In the kitchen [which isn't there now], there were big wooden beams and a set of wooden steps which was the only way to the first floor from the kitchen area at that time. There was a main staircase but we would use these steps on a more regular basis as they took us up to the private lounge area in our flat. That night when the fireman came to get me, the beams in the kitchen had set on fire. This wasn't a major fire by any means but because the fire was in the beams they didn't know initially if this was going to be a bigger problem. Due to this being in the 70s there were no mobile phones and the telephone lines weren't working that night either. So my dad [Anthony Heath] had to walk a mile or so to the school on the common to a phone box and call the fire brigade. My mom [Margaret Heath] at that point didn't know what to do in relation to me as it didn't seem that it was going to be too bad. But by the time the fire brigade got there they decided it would be safer to get me out. I would have been around 5 or 6 years-old I think at the time. It was an adventure as far as I was concerned, not that my parents would say the same.

Another memory I have, is that we would host the "hunt" meet at the pub each year. I saw all these lovely horses and dogs turn up with men wearing lovely red jackets. They would drink the stirrup cup and then blow the horns and disappear down the road on their hunt. The funniest thing happened at one of these meets and has stuck with me to this day. When they had disappeared down the road on their horses with all the dogs barking and running frantically in search of the fox, my dad looked up the road, past, the then shop next door and saw the fox walking down the road. I have no idea how dad managed to do this, but he managed to coax the fox into our shed in the back garden. The fox stayed in there until the hunt was over, Dad released the fox and the hunt didn't get their kill that day.

There used to be stables at the back of the pub, which are now part of the hotel. These were great and not used as stables by us but more of a storage area. However there was the odd bale of hay in there which my friends and I would play with. We used to climb up a very rickety wooden step ladder, walk across the top level of the stable to an opening. This opening would have been used I think to throw bales down to the ground for horses. However, I would use this to jump out of. I had a trampoline at the time [a very small and very old one] which I would bounce off. Very dangerous but so much fun. My dad would go mad at me and tell me not to do that and made the stable out of bounds - but kids will be kids.

The pub at this time was the heart of the village, we would get involved with all the events in the village. At harvest time we would hold events for the harvest festival, gathering of those who used to do pheasant shooting, May Day celebrations in conjunction with maypole dancing in the grounds of the Norman Church opposite. Christmas was always fun to with carol services and people coming over to have a Christmas drink with us all. It was very much a family pub which back then was something that didn't happen very often.

I would always have birthday parties in the pub and all my friends from the village school would come and it became very much an annual event that everyone looked forward to. I had a big swimming pool in the back garden which proved very popular with friends and family, not to mention the regulars when the weather was hot.

I could also be seen going to school on a pony from time to time. On one occasion I was riding this pony home and a tractor came past me without slowing down and the horse bucked. I managed to stay on it somehow but this became the talk of the pub for sometime to come."
Samantha Heath

Click here to share your story or memories OR to send a genealogy query

Poster Advertisement for William Butler and Co. Ltd. of Springfield at Wolverhampton in Staffordshire

Butler's Bitter Beer Dummy Beer Label [1957]

Butler's Amber Ale Dummy Beer Label [1957]

Click or tap here

Related Newspaper Articles

"W. S. P. Hughes, Esq., held an inquest at the Bromley Arms, Abberley, on Thursday, on the body of William Lawley, butcher, of Upper Arley, who was found drowned in a brook on Monday week. It appears that he left his home on the 11th February for the purpose of visiting a brother who resides between Bewdley and Stourport, but did not reach there, and was not heard of again until found by Mr. Gerrard, of Netherton Farm, lying on his back in a small brook, in a coppice. The deceased had been in a low state of mind for sometime past. Mr. Greensill, surgeon, of Witley, who had examined the body, stated that there were marks of violence on it, and that, in his opinion, the deceased had attempted to cross the brook on a tree lying there, when he fell into the stream, which was much swollen by the rains. Verdict : "Found drowned."
Worcester Chronicle : March 5th 1856 Page 4

"On Tuesday afternoon an inquest was held at the Bromley Arms before W. S. P. Hughes, Esq., on the body of a labouring man named William Morris, who met his death in a street row after a haymaking supper at the Bromley Arms, Abberley. It appears that the deceased and several other persons after supping left the house about two o'clock in the morning, when a fight took place between the deceased and John Gerrard, the son of a farmer at Netherton. Deceased was knocked down or fell down in the fight, and died two days after. Mr. Jones, the landlord of the house, described the circumstance as follows : "Between eleven and twelve o'clock a quarrel took place between the deceased and Mr. Gerrard, but there was no blow struck in the house. Deceased began quarrelling with Mr. Gerrard and, using very abusive language towards him, challenged Mr. Gerrard to fight. Between one and two o'clock the Friday morning all the party left. Deceased went out with William Lawley, William Greenwood, Thomas Hankins, James Child, Allen Clarke, William Burton, and John Gerrard. They were not quarrelling when they went out, and seemed to be conducting themselves peacefully, and with no intention of fighting. About ten minutes after they went out I heard them still there, and I went out to persuade them to go. Mr. Gerrard and deceased were having words together and deceased was challenging Mr. Gerrard to fight. Greenwood interfered, and he and deceased had a scuffle together, in which both fell to the ground. When deceased got up he wanted to fight Mr. Gerrard. Mr. Gerrard said he should not fight him unless he struck him. Deceased then struck Mr. Gerrard, and they had three rounds. They had seconds. Greenwood was Mr. Gerrard's second, and Hankins seconded deceased. They fought together, and the fighting appeared to to fair. Deceased fell each round, and in the third round he fell and did not get up again. All the party were the worse for drink. Deceased lay for some time on the ground. His second and I tried to raise deceased up. Greenwood then went to Hankins, and said he was much in fault as Gerrard. The seconds then fought, and both fell. Gerrard assisted me to get deceased up, and we carried him into the house. Deceased was sensible when we got him into the house. He complained of pain in his head, but there was no mark of blood. Deceased said he should be better if they would let him alone. Mr. Gerrard and I then removed him on some bags, and put him into another room, and afterwards put him to bed. About nine o'clock on the Friday morning Mr. Gerrard sent for doctor, and Mr. Merrell [Mr. Greensill's assistant] came about twelve o'clock. Mr. Gerrard remained the whole time. Deceased remained in my house until about seven o'clock in the evening, and he was then taken home in a cart. I did did not observe any marks or injuries about deceased when left. He was quite sensible when he left my house." Deceased died shortly afterwards. The medical evidence showed that death was caused by a wound to the head, but whether caused by a blow or fall there was nothing to show. The Jury found an open verdict."
"A Fatal Fight"
Worcester Chronicle : July 22nd 1863 Page 4

"At the Hundred House Petty Sessions on Thursday before the Reverends W. F. Raymond and H. J. Hastings, and E. Vernon, Esq., Superintendent Raby charged T. Edwards and Wm. Allen with being drunk and fighting at the Bromley Arms Inn, Abberley, on the 7th of January. P.C. Crane was called in to clear the house, and the defendants used very abusive language to him, and began fighting again when in the road. Fined 10s. and costs."
Worcester Chronicle : May 31st 1865 Page 4

"John Jones, landlord of the Bromley Arms, Abberley, was charged with permitting drunkenness on his licensed premises. P.C. Marshall stated that shortly after closing time on January 19th he visited the defendant's premises and found a man named Ridge in the yard. He was so drunk that he could not walk, and had to be locked up, and had since been fined by the magistrates. Defendant denied that Ridge was either on his premises or drunk. Ridge was called, and stated that he was at defendant's house seven hours on the day in question. During the greater part of that time he was playing a whistle and was frequently treated with drink by the customers. He was so drunk that he hardly knew how he got out of the house. Defendant said he was sorry for what had happened but he was away from home the greater part of the day. In reply to the Bench, Superintendent Pugh said the house was not as well conducted as he would wish. The Bench fined defendant 20s. and £1. 6s. 6d. costs."
"Drunkenness on Licensed Premises"
Worcester Journal : February 2nd 1889 Page 7

"James Clarke, labourer, of Abberley, was charged with being disorderly on the licensed premises of the Bromley Arms, Abberley, and with refusing to quit when ordered to do so, on October 25th. Thomas Bishop said he was managing the house for Mr. John Jones, who was ill, and had since died, on October 25th last, when the defendant came to the house and used abusive language to the customers. He requested him to leave the premises, but he refused to do so. Witness then sent for P.C. Williams, and in his presence requested defendant to leave, but he refused to do so, but went when the officer ordered him out. The Bench fined defendant 10s. and costs."
"Refusing to Quit Licensed Premises"
Worcester Journal : November 28th 1891 Page 6

"Walter Perks, of Abberley, pleaded guilty to having been disorderly on the licensed premises of the Bromley Arms, Abberley. Mr. Bishop, the landlord, said that the defendant, with others, was very disorderly and had to be put out. He returned later in the evening and had again to be put out. Witness had refused to supply them with drink, as he thought they had had enough. The Bench fined defendant 10s., and 8s. costs. Albert Morris was charged with a similar offence. Mr. Bishop said after being in the house for two hours the defendant became disorderly, and witness refused to let him have more beer. Defendant forced his way into the bar and tried to draw himself some beer. He also challenged witness to fight. Defendant said he had been in the house from one o'clock to seven, and had had no beer elsewhere. The Bench fined the defendant 12s. 6d. and costs."
Worcestershire Chronicle : June 2nd 1894 Page 5

"Richard Mills, farmer, Abberley, was charged with selling intoxicating liquor for retail without a licence. The local policeman said he saw a man named Bishop on the Sunday morning coming from the cider house of the defendant. He had a wooden bottle and a jar in his possession. The man told the officer that he had bought the cider which was in the jar and bottle, but that he had not paid for it. The cider had been put out in 4½ gallons. He then went to the defendant's house, but the defendant was not at home. At a subsequent date he saw the defendant, who said he did not want to sell the cider in small quantities, but that the men would fetch it away in small quantities. The man was carrying about seven quarts in the two vessels. Edwin Bishop said he went to the defendant's farm and took with him three vessels, and asked the defendant if he would "spare" him 4½ gallons of cider, and he said he would do so. He did not agree as to what the price would be, and he had since paid 3s. for the cider. He took 2½ gallons away at the time, and on the second visit, when he saw the policeman, he took two gallons away. He took the cider to his brother-in-law's house, and some of it was drunk there during the morning. He gave the drink to his brother-in-law. The officer, re-called, said he was watching the place all the morning, and it was quite impossible that the man could have come twice to the house without his seeing him. The defendant said he was sure he only sold 4½ gallons, and he served it out at one time. The Bench said there was a doubt in the mind of the court, and the defendant would be dismissed."
"A Doubt in Case"
Worcester Journal : June 30th 1894 Page 5

Click or tap here for more information

Click here to visit the W3C Markup Validation Service