History of the New Inn at Bournheath in the county of Worcestershire.


Click here for the Home Page  Click here to visit the website's Facebook page  Click here to follow on Twitter  Contact via E-Mail  Click here for the Menu 

Click here for more details

Some history of the New Inn

Nestled at the bottom of Doctor's Hill, the New Inn doggedly hung in there during some tricky years when it would seem that the place would close as a public-house. At the time of typing this brief history of the pub [May 2019] the New Inn was about to be re-opened following a major refurbishment by Heineken.

Bournheath : New Inn [2019]

Bournheath in Billing's Directory and Gazetteer of Worcestershire [1855]

The New Inn, like the other taverns in Bournheath, started life as a beer house. Above is the entry for Bournheath in Billing's Directory and Gazetteer of Worcestershire published in 1855 which shows four beer houses trading in the hamlet in the mid-19th century. Considering the size of the population at this time, this was a pretty good pubs-to-people ratio. Nail-making was thirsty work and many of the local inhabitants were engaged in bashing hammers. Production in the busiest workshops could amount to more than 2,500 nails per day with each requiring up to twenty hammer blows. Most folks would require a few beers at the end of such a shift.

Competing for custom with William Brace, James Davis and Thomas Manning, Joseph Eaves would have attempted to make ales to suit the palate of the locals in order to gain their patronage. The son of Benjamin and Mary Eaves, the publican was born at Upton Warren in April 1801. In the early 1860s he kept the New Inn with his wife Jane. Hailing from Peopleton, this was her third marriage. Her son Alfred, from her previous marriage to Edward Penny, lived at the beer house.

It is known that the New Inn had a club room in use by 1861 as it was mentioned during a case dealing with an assault on a policeman during the New Inn's Friendly Society Club annual dinner. This social event was held on Whit-Monday in May. Police Constable George Collins, along with P.C. James, called at the New Inn to check that all was in order at the house but were refused entry into the club room without the payment of a subscription. A scuffle ensued in which George Collins alleged that he was assaulted. Four men, including future licensee William Griffin, were fined by the magistrates.

The Friendly Society established at the New Inn was possibly a response to the collaborative efforts of those establishing a community at neighbouring Dodford. However, during the early 19th century settlements such as Bournheath, where industry was being established on former heathland, friendly societies were formed to help families during difficult times caused by illness or death. Such societies generally met at a tavern as no public building was then available. Members would meet and contribute a small payment each month in order that they may receive financial help in times of need. The role of Friendly Societies within communities was actively encouraged by the Government. Auditing and registration was enabled by an Act of Parliament passed in 1875. During the Victorian period friendly societies provided most insurance, benefits, and pensions for those living in the UK. The alternative for those who did not make regular contributions was the workhouse.

Meeting of a Friendly Society

Some Friendly Societies would have a dress code for meetings or ceremonial parades in which a banner was often carried to promote the aims of the society. The integrity of the New Inn Friendly Society was somewhat undermined by cases of financial irregularities. For example, James Wheelwright, when serving as secretary, was found guilty of converting money for his own use and fined by the magistrates. William Collins also faced a charge of withholding or misapplying much greater sums of money and was eventually arrested in Barrow and appeared at the Petty Sessions.

In 1865 the Eaves family moved to Aston and were succeeded at the New Inn by Richard Cooper. He was the licensee at a time when the New Inn was regularly appearing in the local newspapers because of incidents of one kind or another. There were several cases of people being drunk and refusing to quit the premises, generally a sign that the house was not being managed properly.

In August 1871 the licence of the New Inn was transferred to William Carwardine. Born in Welland in 1840, he had previously worked as a butler to John Corbett, the industrialist dubbed "The Salt King" who, at the time, lived at Stoke Grange. William Carwardine kept the New Inn with his wife Annie who hailed from Great Malvern. The couple had two young children when they moved into the New Inn. Their stay in Bournheath was short. However, they would later run the Hundred House Inn on the Stourbridge Road before taking over the Dolphin Inn on the High Street in Bromsgrove.

In June 1873 the licence of the New Inn was transferred from William Carwardine to William Griffin. The former nailer had formerly run a shop with his wife Susannah at Lickey End. When the couple were in charge of the New Inn their neighbours were the builder David Norris and the glassblower Joseph Marsh. The latter may have worked at the glass-making workshop established on Parish Hill. This enterprise was set up by William Stevens, a man who, by moving to Bournheath, transferred skills from the traditional glass-making area of Stourbridge. His move to Bournheath may have been the result of his wife Rosa being from the local area. However, it helped with the diversification of the local economy.

Ancient Order of Druids

William Griffin was one of the local men responsible for the foundation of a new Order of Druids being established at the New Inn during April 1876. The new lodge, No.1,499 of the Order, was called "Who'd Thought It." It was possibly a more formal organisation than that of the Friendly Society of Bournheath. Certainly, working class folks hoped that bodies such as the Oddfellows, the Foresters, Shepherds and Druids would act as benefit clubs and friendly societies. The main subject during the inaugural meeting held in the New Inn's club room was the proposed opening of a cottage hospital in the locality in order to care for the sick and poor who were unable to seek medical help through established means or channels.

Click here for more details

William Griffin, an early member of the Bournheath Friendly Society and host of the Order of Druids, successfully applied for an occasional licence in order to sell intoxicating liquors in a field during an Odd Fellows fète in July 1877. The publican was seemingly one for big events. However, like previous licensees, he still had issues with some of the clientele. In April 1878 John Leashouse, of Halesowen, was charged with being drunk in the New Inn and fined accordingly by the magistrates.

After almost a decade of running the New Inn, William Griffin made a career change by becoming a market gardener. He and his wife moved a short distance from the property, the publican no doubt returning for a beer or two on occasions. The licence of the New Inn was transferred to Joseph Page in November 1882.

Bournheath : Map showing the New Inn [1883]

Dated 1883, the above map extract shows the New Inn at Bournheath not long after Joseph Page had been granted the licence. As can be seen there is only a loose scattering of dwellings around the pub. A spring for fresh water is shown on the map, perhaps the source for beers made in the hamlet. The Methodist Chapel and a smithy are marked to the north of the house and the road leading up the hill is the location for Cottage Farm.

The New Inn was used for a number of inquests in the late Victorian period. One such inquest examined the death of Joseph Mitchell who had been shot in the head in September 1885. It transpired that he was playing with his friend Henry Hartle and the gun, belonging to his elder brother, was discharged by accident. Joseph Mitchell received between 30 to 40 wounds to the head and died in the arms of the labourer Solomon Griffin.

In December of the following year another inquest was held at the New Inn concerning the death of Nicholas Hancox, a local haulier who was discovered by his wife hanging in a closet on his premises. The evidence in this case appeared to show that Nicholas Hancox was having trouble making ends meet and his business was failing. Depressed in spirits, he took his own life.

In July 1889 another inquest was held at the New Inn which looked into the death of Alfred Waldron who, after arguing with Thomas Price in the pub, went outside to fight with him. His wife, who was called to the house in a bid to placate the man, witnessed the brawl in which her husband fell on some palings in front of the pub and he died as a result of the injuries he sustained. The men had been arguing over payment for a nailer's bore, for which Waldron said Price owed him 7d. Following the inquest, Price was committed for trial on the charge of manslaughter.

John Carradine took over the licence of the New Inn during December 1890. He was only 22 years of age and kept the pub with his young wife Ann Maria. The couple had married in the previous year at Saint Luke's Church at Cradley Heath. Born in Cradley, John Carradine had moved away from the Black Country at a young age and found work at the Woodman Inn at Hunnington. Following their five year spell at the New Inn, the couple returned to Cradley from where John Carradine worked as a brewery drayman. This may have been for Hodgetts & Cooper, a small brewery based in Halesowen that was seemingly operating the New Inn during the 1890s. At the Bromsgrove Petty Sessions of January 1893 Arthur Hodgetts and Joseph Cooper, partners in the brewery, had to face the magistrates charged under two summonses in reference to the sanitary condition of the New Inn. The brewers were heavily fined and ordered to make certain alterations to the pub within seven days of the case.

Bournheath : Rosina Bird outside the New Inn [c.1911]

Alfred and Rosina Bird moved into the New Inn during 1897, the licence being granted to Alfred in October of that year. Born in Aston around 1865, he moved with his family back to their roots at Wollescote near Stourbridge. His mother Matilda kept a grocery shop at Careless Green. Alfred married Peterborough-born Rosina Dyas at Stourbridge in January 1892. Alfred was licensee of the New Inn for a decade before he passed away in December 1907 and the licence passed to Rosina. This brings us to the photograph above which features Rosina in front of the New Inn. I suspect that the photograph is earlier than I have suggested because she had four children when she lost her husband. These children are almost certainly her sons and daughters - Rosie, Gladys, Walter and Laurence. Another daughter named Ethel was born after the death of Alfred Bird.

Locally-born Harold Stokes was the licensee during the Second World War. In addition to his duties as a publican, he also worked in a motor works. He kept the New Inn with his wife Florence. His father Thomas was once the postman in the Catshill area.

Poster Advertisement for William Butler and Co. Ltd. of Springfield at Wolverhampton in Staffordshire

Bournheath : The New Inn [May 1965]

The New Inn can be seen here in three images dating from 1964 and 1965 with the livery of William Butler & Co. Ltd., though the Wolverhampton-based company was, by this time, part of Bass, Mitchells & Butlers Ltd. The image below shows that George Cox was the licensee at this time.

Bournheath : The New Inn [1964]

Bournheath : The New Inn and Cottage [1964]

As a result of cycling through the village, I noticed that the New Inn closed and opened on several occasions in more recent times. The building was closed and boarded-up in the Spring of 2019. However, the building was refurbished and re-opened with Chad Hudson and Sarah Price signing a lease agreement with Heineken. The couple had enjoyed success at the Loyal Lodge in Halesowen, another old tavern operated by Heineken. They attempted to run the two pubs simultaneously however this place proved to be a tough ask. They attempted to replicate a similar offering to that which they adopted successfully at Halesowen but it failed to attract the custom they hoped had for. They reliquished their interest in the New Inn less than a year after the re-opening.

I must admit that it came as a surprise in the middle of the Covid-19 lockdown to learn that the New Inn was going to re-open. I received an e-mail from Sharon Butler informing me that she and her partner Gary were going to give it a go. She went on to tell men that "following its closure in February before the Covid-19 hit us all hard the New Inn has a new lease of life and opened its doors once again on Friday 17th September 2020. Gary and Sharon Butler of Butler's Catering Services have taken on a new adventure along with their team to make the New Inn a family friendly local." Sharon added "with a new play area, partly funded by Bromsgrove District Council, and a newly fenced-off garden area, families can enjoy a safe environment for their whole family [including the dog] in a relaxed area with great new menu." The couple were opening within strict government guidelines and hoped they could attract locals and visitors alike and bring some life back into what was a great pub.

Bournheath : Servery of the New Inn [2019]

Bournheath : Furnishings of the New Inn [2019]

Click here for more details

Licensees of this pub

1855 - 1865 Joseph Eaves
1865 - 1871 Richard Cooper
1871 - 1873 William Carwardine
1873 - 1882 William Griffin
1882 - 1890 Joseph Page
1890 - 1896 John Carradine
1896 - 1897 Charles Evony Carr
1897 - 1907 Alfred Bird
1907 - Rosina Bird
1924 - Ben T. Williams
1928 - Samuel Evans
1932 - William Spencer
1940 - Harold Reginald Stokes
1965 - George Cox
Note : this is not a complete list of licensees for this pub.

Advertisement for Butler's Ales and Porter at the Ettingshall New Village Brewery near Wolverhampton

Genealogy Connections

If you have a genealogy story or query regarding the New Inn you can contact me and I will post it here in addition to including your message within the website pages for Worcestershire Genealogy.

Have Your Say

If you would like to share any further information on this pub - perhaps you drank here in the past? Or maybe knew a previous publican? Whatever the reason it would be great to hear of your stories or gossip. Simply send a message and I'll post it here.

Butler's Extra All Malt Stout Point-of-Sale Material

Related Newspaper Articles

"Solomon Warman, Enoch Walters, William Griffin, and Thomas Partridge, were charged by P.C. George Collins with assaulting him, while in the discharge of his duty, Monday week, the 20th May, at Joseph Eaves's, of the New lnn, Bournheath. Mr. Burbury, of Bewdley, appeared for the defendants, and asked the Bench to have each person tried separately, but was refused, as they all conjointly, at the same time and place, committed the assault. It appeared that on Whit-Monday the members of the Friendly Society Club held their annual dinner in the club room of the New Inn, Bournheath, when Collins, in company with P.C. James, called several times at the house to see that all was right. When he called about ten o'clock at night, he went into the clubroom, and was asked for 1s., which he refused to pay, and was then pushed out of the room three times. The evidence on both sides was very contradictory. Mr. Burbury argued that complainant, though a policeman, had no business whatever in the room without paying the customary fee of 1s. The Bench were, however, of a different opinion, and fined defendants £1. each, including costs, and 12s. costs for assault on P.C. James, which case was not pressed."
"Assault on Policeman"
Worcestershire Chronicle : May 29th 1861 Page 2

"Charles Mitchell pleaded guilty to a charge preferred by P.C. Collins, of being drunk and refusing to quit the New Inn, at Bournheath, on Whit-Monday. The defendant, being a bad character, was fined £1, including costs, which he paid. George Wakefield, who did not appear was convicted on two charges of the above character - one for refusing to quit the New Inn, Bournheath, and the other for refusing to quit the Gate Hangs Well, at the same place on Whit-Monday. Fined in each case £. and 10s. costs, or fourteen days' hard labour in each."
"Drunk and Refusing to Quit"
Worcestershire Chronicle : June 7th 1871 Page 3

"The only case before the Bench this morning was one in whioh Thomas Davenport and Jeremiah Davenport, father and son, were charged with assaulting Abiathar Hancox,, at the New Inn, Bournheath, on Saturday. Complainant did not seem to have given the slightest provocation, and defendants were fined each 10s. and 10s. 6d. costs, or fourteen days' hard labour in default."
"Charge of Assault"
Worcestershire Chronicle : January 31st 1872 Page 3

"John Broomfield, nailer, was fined 20s., including costs, for being drunk and refusing to quit the New Inn, Bournheath on Whit-Monday."
"Refusing to Quit"
Worcester Journal : June 1st 1872 Page 4

"James Wheelwright was charged by William Roberts, secretary of the New Inn Friendly Society, Bournheath, with obtaining, by false pretences, and converting to his own use, the snm of 10s., the property of the society. Mr. Buller, of Birmingham, appeared on behalf of the society; Mr. Holyoake defended. The evidence showed that the defendant was a member of the society, and in his capacity as secretary it was his duty to draw sick pay from the steward, and pay it to the members who were entitled thereto. On behalf of E. A. Crisp, member, he had drawn the sum of 15s., but had paid Crisp only 5s., the sum to which he was legally entitled. For the defence it was urged that the defendant had not converted the money to his own use, that he had paid the sum demanded of him upon his going out of office, and that the sum in question had not been demanded of him. The Bench considered the charge proved, and ordered defendant to refund the 10s., pay a fine of £5., and 4s. costs, or, in default, two months' hard labour."
"Charge against a Friendly Society's Secretary"
Worcester Journal : June 1st 1872 Page 4

Bournheath : New Inn [2009]

"On Monday night, a new lodge of this Order was opened, with the usual ceremonies, at the house of Mr. W. Griffin, the New Inn, Bournheath, under dispensation to officers of Stourbridge Lodge, Bromsgrove, presided over by Bro. H. Godsall, D.G.M. of the district. Bro. W. Wilkes was conductor of the ceremonies, and the other officers present were Bro. R. Wood, treasurer, P.M.G.A. Roberts, V.G.M. Webley, P.G. Bridgewater, and D.C.S. S. James, with Bro. E. Coxell, late of Worcester. The new lodge is No.1,499 of the Order, and has the quaint title of "Who'd Thought It." It is opened under very favourable auspices, fifteen members being initiated on Monday night, and there are several others proposed. Bro. Ash was appointed chairman and Bro. Wilkes secretary of the new lodge. After the business, the company, numbering nearly forty, sat down to a substantial supper provided by Host Griffin, after which Bro. Coxell took the chair, in place Dr. Wood, who was called away by his professional engagements. A very pleasant evening was spent. The usual loyal toasts were drunk; then followed "Success to the New Lodge," responded to by the chairman and secretary; "Success to the Order of Druids, to the District, and to the Stonehenge Lodge," acknowledged by Bros. Godsall, Bridgewater, and Roberts. In the course of the evening acknowledgment was made of the efforts of Bros. Roberts, Wilkes, Bridgewater, and others in extending the order in the district, and the Chairman gave the new lodge the benefit of some practical advice, gained by long experience of the order, as to the best manner of conducting the business. He also spoke from his experience as relieving officer of the district, of the disadvantage under which the sick poor of Bromsgrove laboured through having no means of obtaining efficient nursing during illness, compared with the advantages enjoyed at Worcester, where the Infirmary offered such excellent aid to the sick, and he suggested that if the secretaries of the sick societies in the district would meet and discuss the matter, plan might be formed for founding a cottage hospital in the district, and he believed good assistance would be rendered by the gentry and residents the neighbourhood, and the medical gentlemen would also render efficient service. He should be glad to do all in his power to forward the project if taken up, and would like to correspond with other secretaries in the neighbourhood upon the subject, if they would forward him their names and addresses. This proposition met with the hearty approval the company, and Bro. Godsall made a few remarks upon the subject, and explained the means adopted by the Druids to obtain for their sick brethren of the district the benefits of the general hospital at Birmingham. A hearty vote thanks was paid to host and hostess Griffin for their attention to the comforts of the company, the healths of the chairman and vice-chairman [Mr. W. Wilkes] were drunk with musical honours, and breaking-up time the company separated, having much enjoyed the very pleasant proceedings."
"Order of Druids"
Worcestershire Chronicle : April 8th 1876 Page 8

"A fatal occurrence took place at Bournheath, near Bromsgrove, on Friday afternoon, between three and four o'clock. Two boys, aged about 11 years, named Joseph Mitchell and Henry Hartle, were playing in the house of George Hartle, the father of one of the boys. Solomon Griffin, a labourer, working near, heard the report of a gun, and on going into the house found the boy Mitchell lying dead, shot through the temple, and a gun belonging to Hartle's elder brother, which had been loaded, discharged. Dr. Carey was sent for and saw the body. The boy Hartle had run out of tbe house, but he was afterwards found by Police Constable Clarke in a cornfield near the house, and was taken in custody to Bromsgrove police station, where he was detained by Superintendent Jeffrey. On Saturday afternoon, before S. H. Milward and C. P. Lane, Henry Hartle was charged with causing the death of Mitchell. On the application of Supt. Jeffrey the youthful prisoner was remanded till after the inquest, and handed over to the care of his father, George Hartle, to be brought up when necessary after the inquest. Mr. Miller Corbet, deputy-coroner, held an inquest on Tuesday evening, at the New Inn, Bournheath. The Rev. J. Kidd was foreman of the jury. Henry Hartle, aged 11 years, son of George Hartle, was present in charge of the police. Jane Mitchell, mother of the deceased, stated that on Friday, at dinner time, her son went to play, and in the afternoon she heard that he was shot, and went to Hartle's, where she saw him bleeding from the head. She did not know if he was dead then. There was no ill-will between her son and Henry Hartle that she knew of. Jane Griffin, another witness, living next door to Hartle, stated that on Friday afternoon she heard the report of a gun in Hartle's house, and on going there saw Henry Hartle running away. She saw deceased lying inside the house and bleeding, and heard a rattle in his throat. He did not speak. She called Solomon who was at work in a field close by. Solomon Griffin, labourer, Fockbury, stated that he was called by Mrs. Griffin, and went to Hartle's, and found deceased lying just inside the house, picked him up and held him for about ten minutes, when he died. He never spoke. Blood was flowing in a stream from his head. Some of the neighbours who came in searched for a gun, and found the gun produced in the pantry. It had a cap on, and had been recently discharged. Witness took charge of it and gave it to P.C. Clarke. Mr. C. Caret, surgeon, stated that he saw deceased when he had been dead about half-an-hour. There were gun-shot wounds in the head sufficient to cause death. There were 30 or 40 wounds. Elizabeth Hartle, mother of the boy, was at first too much agitated to give evidence, but became more composed after time, and stated that her son told her he was playing in the house with deceased, no one else being there, and he went down the garden to see to some fowls, as she [his mother] had told him to do. When he went back to the house he found deceased had fetched his [Hartle's] brother's gun out of the pantry. He asked deceased to give him the gun, and deceased gave it to him, and he was taking it back to the pantry it caught against a table he was passing and went off, and shot deceased. The Coroner pointed out the circumstances of the case, and the probability that the account given by the boy Hartle to his mother of the way which deceased was shot being true. The jury returned a verdict of "Accidental death," and at their request the Coroner severely censured the owner of the gun for leaving it about, when loaded, in so careless a manner."
"A Boy Shot Dead"
Worcestershire Chronicle : September 5th 1885 Page 7

Click here for more details

Related Newspaper Articles

"Mr. E. Docker, deputy coroner, held an inquest at the New Inn, Bournheath, on Friday evening, on the body of Nicholas Hancox, haulier, aged 40 years, who was discovered by his wife hanging in a closet on his premises, at Bournheath, on the evening of Wednesday, the 15th inst. The evidence showed that deceased, who had been trying to get a living as a haulier, was in very bad circumstances, and had been depressed in spirits. The jury returned a verdict of "Suicide while of unsound mind."
"Suicide by Hanging"
Worcester Journal : December 25th 1886 Page 3

"On Wednesday evening an inquest was held before Mr. E. Docker, deputy coroner, at the New Inn, Bournheath, on the body of a child two years and three months old named Ernest Fisher, son of a labourer. Last Saturday the child was playing in front of the fire, when its sister accidentally upset the tea pot, which was on the hob. The hot tea fell on the child and so scalded it upon the neck, chest and right arm, that it died on Tuesday morning. Dr. Wood stated that death resulted from shock to the system, and the jury returned a verdict accordingly."
"Shocking Death of a Child"
Worcestershire Chronicle : March 5th 1887 Page 8

Bournheath : New Inn [2013]

"At the Petty Sessions, On Tuesday, before Mr. R. Smallwood, Lord Windsor, and the Rev. E. H. Mynors, William Collins was charged by the trustees of the New Inn Friendly Society, Bournheath, with unlawfully applying to his own use the sum of £20, the property of the society; and further with withholding or misapplying the sum of £42 2s. 7d., the property of the society. Mr. F. Holyoake prosecuted. Henry Roberts stated that the prisoner, Henry Rutter, and himself were the trustees of the society. On the 2nd October last, the prisoner had more than £20 in hand belonging to the society, and it was arranged that on the 30th the trustees should go to the office of Mr. Gabb, solicitor, Bromsgrove, to pay off a mortgage of £60, of which prisoner was to find £20. Witness and Rutter came to Bromsgrove on the day appointed, but the prisoner did not come, and witness had not seen him since till that day. The money for paying off the mortgage was got from another source. The book showed that £42 2s. 7d. was due from prisoner on the 30th October, and it was still due. Joseph Gwynn, secretary to the society, proved by the books that the amount owing was £42 2s. 7d. William Henry Banner, of Catshill, stated that in June last he lent prisoner £20 on behalf of the society, and the society had recognised it and promised to repay it. Collins, who had been arrested at Barrow, said he admitted having the money. He had been knocking about getting a living, and did not know it was made away with till it was called for to pay off the mortgage. He was fined £20, and costs £5 2s. 8d., and ordered to repay the £42 2s. 7d., or in default three months' hard labour."
"A Dishonest Trustee"
Alcester Chronicle : February 16th 1889 Page 8

"Mr. E. Docker, county coroner, held an inquest at the New Inn, Bournheath, on Tuesday evening, on the body of Alfred Waldron, who died while fighting with Thomas Price on Monday. Price was present, in custody. The Rev. J. Kidd was foreman of the jury. Sarah Waldron, widow of the deceased, stated that her husband was forty-eight years of age, and was a healthy man. He left home on Monday morning betweeb nine and ten o'clock to seek for work. She subsequently heard that he was drinking at the New Inn. Shortly before five o'clock she was fetched to him, as he was quarrelling with Price. She tried to pacify them. Price said to her husband, "I shall never respect you any more, and will fight you twenty rounds." She tried to stop them, but they went out of the house and fought. Her husband had been drinking, and did not know what he was about. Price was sober, and struck the first blow, and her husband fell down. They fought again, and both fell together. Price on the top. They got up and fought again; and Price hit her husband on the forehead, and he turned round and round and fell, and never got up again. Her husband was picked up and carried home by some of the men. He was dead before he got home. Henry Loach gave particulars of the quarrel at the New Inn, which, he said, was about a nailer's bore, which the deceased said Price owed him for. They went outside and fought. Waldron struck the first blow. They fought for two or three minutes, and fell. Witness thought Waldron fell first. He came to strike Price, who "douked," and as Waldron struck he fell with his head against the palings in front of the public house, [Mrs. Waldron's statement as to the fight was read over to the witness, and he said it was not true.] Alfred Ranner agreed with the previous witness as to the quarrel in the house. He said he could not see who struck the first blow outside. In the fourth round they struck each other, and both missed. Waldron reeled three or four yards, and fell heavily. Thomas Ward agreed with the two previous witnesses to the quarrel. In the fourth round Waldron was knocked down by a blow from Price. He could not say where Waldron was struck. He fell against the palings, and got up and fell again instantly. Mr. Arthur George Mossop, assistant to Dr. Wood, Bromsgrove, stated that he saw deceased on Monday evening. He was dead. There were no external appearances to account for death. He found contusions on each cheek and on the left forehead, which might have been caused by violent blows or a fall. He made a post-mortem examination, and found an extensive fracture at the base of the skull, which might be caused by a fall, and a ruptured blood vessel at the base of the skull, which had caused profuse bleeding. He was of opinion that the cause of death was hemorrhage pressing on the brain. The jury, after deliberating for some time, found a verdict of "Manslaughter" against Thomas Price, thinking that death resulted from a fall in the last round of the fight. The Coroner made an order for the committal of Price on the charge of manslaughter."
"The Fatal Fight at Bournheath"
Birmingham Daily Post : July 18th 1889 Page 8

"John Carradine, landlord of the New Inn, Bournheath, was summoned for permitting drunkenness on his premises on the 14th February. Mr. Waldron, West Bromwich, defended. The case was proved by P.C. Scott and P.C. Emms, who stated that Joseph Hingley was drunk at defendant's house, and had since been convicted and fined for the offence. The case occupied a long time in hearing. In defence Mr. Waldron submitted that, as Hingley was sleeping at defendant's house on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday nights he was a lodger, and defendant was not liable under the statute for permitting drunkenness. The only course the authorities could take was the one they had taken, namely, to proceed against Hingley for being drunk. Defendant, Thomas Hartle, and William Wakeman were called for the defence, and stated that Hingley was not in the house all the evening, but came in the worse for liquor and went to bed. He was not served with anything in the house. The magistrates retired to consider, and, having a doubt in the case, it was dismissed."
"Publicans Charged with Permitting Drunkenness"
Worcester Journal : March 7th 1891 Page 6

"West Midlands pub operators, Chad Hudson and Sarah Price have taken on a second site with Star Pubs & Bars, The New Inn, Bournheath near Bromsgrove, and are undertaking a joint £350k refurbishment of it with the pub company. The couple also have the Loyal Lodge in Halesowen, which they took on four years ago and have transformed into a popular family community pub. The refurbishment will see the wet-led pub transformed into a top quality, family-friendly country pub offering fresh, home-cooked food. Closed since the start of the year, it will re-open in time for the early May bank holiday with 15 new jobs being created. Chad's brother, who has been working at The Loyal Lodge, will take on the role of manager. The sympathetic top-to-toe refurbishment of the New Inn will bring the pub into the 21st century whilst retaining original features like the pub's character wooden beams and open fires. Changes will include a new lobby and opening up of the interior to create a more spacious open plan lounge and bar area, increasing seating by a third. The look will be modern country inn including a reclaimed timber bar, crittall-style glass screens, painted wooden tables and chairs, upholstered free-standing armchairs and deep-buttoned booth seating for added comfort. The walls will have traditional panelling and the new loos decorative tiled floors. Outside, the pub is being given a complete facelift, redecorated in pale grey with new lighting, signage and planters. A new patio with seating is being created to the left of the pub and a new decked area to the right increasing capacity for alfresco drinking from 25 to 44. Once open, the pub will serve fresh home-cooked food using locally-sourced ingredients wherever possible with signature dishes like rabbit pie, roast pheasant and three county sausage mash. Alcoholic beverages will consist of a selection of cask ales, premium lagers, wines for all budgets and a good range of spirits including a wide selection of gins. Chad said: "We first became aware of The New Inn when we were looking for somewhere to have Sunday lunch as local pubs were always booked out. We could immediately see the New Inn had great potential with investment." He added: "The refurbishment will allow us to fast-track the pub's turnaround. It means we can introduce food and create a great family and dog-friendly village pub for residents and a destination pub for diners, walkers and cyclists. It's taken us three and a half years to get the Loyal Lodge to where we want it. It's important to us that we focus on pubs individually to make them the best they can be before moving forward to take on another." Caren Geering, Star Pubs & Bars regional operations director said: "Chad and Sarah are experienced operators who know the area well. They've done a great job turning around The Loyal Lodge where business has increased 90% since they took it on four years ago. I feel sure they'll do the same with the New Inn as they're very well regarded by customers who score the Loyal Lodge four out of five or more on Facebook and Trip Advisor. I wish them the best of luck with this new venture."
"West Midlands operator takes on second Star pub"
Foodservice News : April 4th 2019 Page 5

Bournheath : Sarah Price and Chad Hudson outside the New Inn [Photo courtesy of the Bromsgrove Advertiser 2019]

"Work has started on a major £350,000 refurbishment of the New Inn in Bournheath. It is hoped the investment, by Heineken-owned Star Pubs & Bars, and new licensees local pub operators Chad Hudson and Sarah Price, will see the pub restored to its former glory as a top quality, family friendly country pub. The New Inn, which has been closed since the start of the year, will re-open in time for the early May bank holiday with 15 new jobs being created. The sympathetic top-to-toe refurbishment of the pub will bring the New Inn into the 21st century whilst retaining original features like the pub's wooden beams and open fires. Changes will include a new lobby and opening up of the interior to create a more spacious open-plan lounge and bar area, increasing seating by a third. The pub will serve fresh home-cooked food using locally-sourced ingredients wherever possible with signature dishes like rabbit pie, roast pheasant and three county sausage mash. The New Inn is local pub operators, Chad and Sarah's, second pub. Once established, they intend to introduce events including a regular pub quiz, summer bbqs, and bank holiday charity fundraisers. Chad said: "We first became aware of the New Inn when we were looking for somewhere to have Sunday lunch as local pubs were always booked out. We could immediately see the New Inn had great potential with investment. This enables us to create a great family and dog-friendly village pub for residents, walkers and cyclists to relax in." He added: "We're excited by the refurbishment, which will look great, and are looking forward to getting to know the community. We hope that local residents will enjoy the new New Inn as much as we will. My brother is moving to the pub and will be managing it on a day-to-day basis, so it really is a family affair." Caren Geering, Star Pubs & Bars regional operations director, said: "Chad and Sarah are experienced operators who know the area well. I wish them the best of luck with this new venture."
"Work starts on £350,000 refurbishment of the New Inn"
by Ben Russell in
Bromsgrove Advertiser & Star : July 21st 2018 Page 18