Some history on Cropthorne in the county of Worcestershire
Cropthorne is a parish and village near the river Avon, 3 miles N.W. of Evesham, 3½ S.E. of Pershore, 12 S.E. of Worcester, and 1 mile S. of Fladbury station on the Great Western railway. It is situated on a delightful eminence, and commands fine views; is in the eastern division of the county, and hundred of Middle Oswaldslow; union, petty sessional division, and county court district of Pershore; polling and highway district of Evesham; annual rateable value, £3,073; area, 1,483 acres; population in 1861, 374; in 1871, 355; with 84 inhabited houses and 4 void. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor, and the principal landowners are Francis D. Holland, Esq., Nathaniel Cole, Esq., and the Rev. L. H. Rudd. The soil is light and sandy in some places; in others, stiff clay. The subsoil is sand, gravel, and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, peas, beans, and roots. Market gardening is carried on in this locality to a considerable extent. The church [St. Michael's] has a chancel, nave with clerestory, aisles, and western tower; chiefly in the Perpendicular style, but the base of the tower is Early Norman. The Dineley monuments are singularly interesting, and there are other curious remains of antiquity in the church. The register begins at 1559. The living is a vicarage in the diocese and archdeaconry of Worcester and rural deanery of Pershore; value, £210, with residence; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester; vicar, the Rev. Robert Sanders, M.A., of Magdalen Hall, Oxford. There is a Free school, erected in 1740, and endowed by Mrs. Mary Holland with £10 yearly. There are a few small charities belonging to the parish.
Cropthorne Court, the residence of F. D. Holland, Esq., J.P., is delightfully situated near the church. The views from the mansion and the vicarage are extremely beautiful.
Charlton is a hamlet, distant half a mile N. The population in 1861 was 374, and in 1871, 386, with 80 inhabited houses and 1 void. It is assessed to the county rate at £2,836. The principal landowners are Henry Workman, Esq. [the lord of the manor], Charles P. Noel, Esq., and John Cartwright, Esq. A new church and school have lately been erected in this hamlet, at the expense of Henry Workman, Esq. The church has very cleverly formed out of an old barn, by Mr. Forsyth, of Worcester, and has been fitted up regardless of expense. At present the building is only licensed, but when the living of Cropthorne becomes vacant the new church will, no doubt, be endowed and separated from the mother church. Charlton Manor House, the property and residence of Henry Workman, Esq., J.P., D.L., was once the seat of the famous Worcestershire family of Dingley, or Dineley. The male line of the Dineleys terminated with Sir Edward, whose daughter Eleanor married Edward Goodere, afterwards knighted; he died in 1739. The mansion was partly destroyed at the close of the last century.
Netherton, formerly a hamlet of Cropthorne, is now added to Elmley Castle.
"At Cropthorne, on the body of Thomas Perry, who was killed in consequence of being kicked by a Cart Mare on the right side of his
head; his skull was dreadfully fractured. Verdict : Accidental Death."
"Inquests by Mr. Best"
Worcester Journal : February 27th 1823 Page 3
"As soon as a fund for the restoration of the church tower and bells was started, in the summer of 1937, Mr. W. P. Laithwood showed a keen
interest in the scheme - not only subscribing generously himself, but inducing others to do so. Now that this has been carried through the bellringers are occupying
his thoughts. On Friday evening, he entertained them to supper in the Schoolroom when 20 sat down. The Vicar [the Rev. J. Cathcart Davies] presided. The Chairman
said all deeply regretted the absence of Mr. Arthur Ireland, whose illness prevented him from being present. Mr. Ireland was their oldest ringer and to him they owed a
deep debt of gratitude, for he had devoted much time and performed almost countless deeds, to make the pathway of the newly-formed band of ringers a pleasant one.
His work was appreciated by all and they trusted his recovery would be speedy and permanent They could not expect always to have Mr. Ireland's services, and so he
was sending on a cheque to affiliate Cropthorne with the County Association of Bellringers, which would ensure the assistance of an instructor. The Vicar then proposed
"The health of our host." This received musical honours. Mr. Laithwood thanked the company for their expressed good wishes and presence. He appreciated most
sincerely their ready response to the call for ringers and the interest taken in their voluntary duties. He looked upon the church and bells as a priceless heritage.
He trusted they would prise that heritage and, as churchworkers, do their utmost in drawing others into various spheres of useful work. When tables were cleared the
gathering was augmented by the wives, mothers and sweethearts of the ringers, and Mr. Laithwood's request to all - "To pack up then troubles." was the
signal for commencing a programme of wonderful variety and interest The artists were the Misses Laithwood, who proved versatile, for the party were treated to vocal
music of a high order, brilliant pianoforte solos, lightning sketches, tap dancing and conjuring tricks, and at intervals they led the community singing. Every moment
was crowded with mirth and happiness., Messrs. A. and D. Saunders sang several delightful solos and duets and the ringers gave a short selection on the handbells. The
Vicar thanked Mr. and Mrs. and the Misses Laithwood for their hospitality and the efforts made for the comfort and enjoyment of the guests. This was
Mr. Laithwood said that in all probability he and his family had enjoyed the party more than anyone else."
"Cropthorne Bell Ringers"
Evesham Standard : January 15th 1938 Page 1
"Three hours after being involved in a collision with a lorry, a 43-year-old Cropthorne cyclist died in Evesham General Hospital
on Tuesday night. He was John Arthur Bluck, a married man and father of a young daughter. He lived in a caravan at Field Barn Farm, Cropthorne. The accident
occurred on Twyford Bank at 5.15 p.m. as Mr. Bluck was cycling home from work. The lorry was being driven towards Evesham by Ronald James Mead, of 82. Gill
Avenue, Oldbury Court, Staple Hill. Bristol. Mr. Bluck came to live at Cropthorne. from Hill Furze, Fladbury, about four years ago."
"Cropthorne Cyclist Fatally Injured"
Evesham Standard : March 6th 1959 Page 1
"The lorry driver, Ronald James Mead, was later charged with driving without due care and attention. He was found guilty and fined £10 and had his licence endorsed and ordered to pay witnesses' expenses and a contribution of three guineas to the advocates's fees. Not a lot really for causing the death of a married man with a young daughter.