Some history of the Travellers' Rest at Netherton in the county of Worcestershire.
The Travellers' Rest stood on the south side of St. John's Street and, as can be seen on the map extract below dated 1855, was a short distance from the Bull's Head, a building that still stands in the 21st century. This makes it easy to determine the site of the long-lost The Travellers' Rest, a tavern that surrendered its licence just after the Second World War.
This plan extract is part of Roper's Survey of Netherton in 1855 so the Ebenezer Chapel to the west of the Bull's Head has not been constructed. The stone on that surviving chapel is dated 1864. One of the myriad of passages went up alongside the Travellers' Rest, a tavern long since demolished.
MORE TO FOLLOW
ON THE TRAVELLERS' REST
"We regret to announce the death of Mr. Daniel Mason, of the Highland Lassie, Flood Street, Dudley, which occurred on the 30th ultimo.
Mr. Mason, through an accident in 1921, was forced to retire from the mining industry, and he became licensee of the Travellers' Rest at Netherton. Later he
became the host of the Highland Laddie, a position he held for the last six years, during which time he gained the respect and admiration of all those around him.
Deceased had been in ill-health for some time, but had been able to attend to his business until a fortnight before his death. The funeral took place on January
3rd at St. Andrew's, Netherton, the curate officiating."
"Death of Dudley Publican"
Dudley Chronicle : January 14th 1932 Page 4